Main Menu

Is Simon Davis the new Slaine artist?

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 13 April, 2013, 11:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I just read a Tweet that he is going to be the new Slaine artist and it has links for here.....

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/2000ad-announces-simon-davis-as-new-slaine-artist/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He would be my favourite choice to be the new artist for the Warped One.

Dandontdare

yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. I adore SBD's art, and he seems to have solved his early issues with frightened/angry people tending to look like they're laughing hysterically.

Steve Green

Really looking forward to this - I think he's a great choice for the strip.

JayzusB.Christ

Wasn't sure at first, but count me in.  Like Langley, Bisley, Fabry and McMahon before him, he has his own, very distinctive style, and should do Pat proud.

(Not sure if there are any more Sláine tales left to tell, but that's for another thread.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Albion

This thread seems like a good excuse to post this sketch again.....

I got this at Thought Bubble last year after being told by Large48 that Simon would be working on Slaine (and we posed for him for photo reference for Ampney Crucis too!).
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 April, 2013, 11:26:17 AM
yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. I adore SBD's art, and he seems to have solved his early issues with frightened/angry people tending to look like they're laughing hysterically.
Thank you for articulating what I couldn't quite work out I didn't like about his art. I really didn't like his early Sin Dex stuff but his recent work has been excellent and that Slaine looks all kinds of aces. Just hope Pat can find something for him to do.

ThryllSeekyr

I remember making a suggestion here.....

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,31825.30.html

.... that Simon Davis should be the next Slaine artist after Clint Lanely. I'm so proud.

Noisybast

This is very good news. Never could warm to Langley's photo-manip stuff.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Steven Sterlacchini

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Noisybast on 14 April, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
Never could warm to Langley's photo-manip stuff.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this I think Mr Davis is a genius, and unlike Langley when he puts himself into a strip goes the whole hog and paints it rather than copying and pasting a photo in ;)

ming

I'm really looking forward to seeing Simon's take on Slaine; it's pretty far removed from the likes of Ampney Crucis, SinDex, Stone Island and anything else that he's done that springs to mind, so it'll be interesting to see the approach he takes.  A great choice, and something of a coup for the House of Tharg to retain an artist of Simon's calibre.

IndigoPrime

*prepares self for Sláine: the battle of the purple Drune Lord cocks*

But, yeah, this could be aces. Davis quite often has a kind of rough 'n' ready sensibility that could make this akin to McMahon's time on the strip combined with a bit of Bisley, versus Langley's more photo-realistic stuff. Definitely good to see things being shaken up a bit, too.

ThryllSeekyr

Does anybody remember the Slaine poster he did a few years back?

Hawkmumbler

Boo Yaa! Called it back when the 30th anniversery run was announced. Great news, SD is the right man for the job. :D

MenschMaschine

I think Dave Kendall would be the rightful man for the task though I'm sure Simon Davis will come up with jaw-dropping beauties. Good to see the warped one back on paints and brushes. Those digital things are  rather forgettable.