Main Menu

PROG 1451... STALKING ON THE MOON!

Started by ARRISARRIS, 08 August, 2005, 03:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

In terms of Dredd on the Moon the recetn Black Library novel (Eclipse?) ties the Moon Marshal stories together with the recently reprinted John Smith Dredd on the moon story in such a way to set up Breathing space - I believe the novelist collaborated with Rob to get it spot on.

judge dreddd

Artificial Idiot

Speaking of Savage's sister, I'm still baffled by the 'Bodice' speech she gave when she first entered. Yes, I got the first bit about the book (although, that in it's self seemed completely absurd given the situation. I mean, isn't 'clear off' good enough for her?) but 'I could use my bodice being ripped'... Whaaat? In fact, a lot of the dialouge on that page was quite clunky, but that one still baffles me.

Otherwise, Savage is excellent.

bombkangaroo

"One man?s freedom-fighter is another man?s terrorist."

This is the kind of misconception that ruins strips like Savage for me.
A terrorist and a freedom fighter are two entirely seperate things. Neither is a subjective term, they both have distinct, objective definitions.

Calling someone a terrorist or a freedom fighter does not make them so. Bill Savage is a freedom fighter from what I have observed. He has yet to attack civilians or use threats or mass destruction in a calculated manner for the sake of influencing societies or governments. He's fighting a guerilla war against an occupying force. He sems to be a fundamentally good guy, who is caught up in horrible violence and whose business tends to become ugly.

I really think Savage could do without the Iraq comparisons. I honestly believe that it could stand on it's own two feet, and make no reference to, nor comparison with, the situation in Iraq, and still be as good or better.

When they finally got round to the plot advancement I was as giddy as a schoolgirl. The morse code on the washing line was brilliant, Bill's eavesdropping on the girls' conversaton was a great way of giving him a decent motivation and opportunity for what's yet to come, the mood of the ordinary people and their anger at the percieved betrayal by one of their own was even moving.
The "report" read like a commentary on the american military's heavy handedness, and while the execution of the family served to further establish the Volgs as cold and uncaring, it did irk me a little with the Volgs rather obviously being intended to represent the american military in that scenario.

If they keep the strip going more along the lines of the last few pages of this weeks savage I may well come to enjoy it far more than I otherwise would.

Robo-hunter. "Ai deed nawt layk eeet veerey mooch. YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP! YUP!" -ad nauseum.

"Hey, samanta slade, issa meesa, jar-jar binks. Mysa droid gon' missin' youssa wanna find it for meesa?" -that would make me cringe less.

Leatherjack is taking shape. It seems a little off-beat thus far, but hopefuly that will be a good thing as time goes by.
Every strip needs furries. Especially alien sex-slave furries.

Dredd, I wasn't so keen on, but the story does make a nice change of pace. Here's hoping for something with a bit more meat next week.
I've never like the strips that were made to reflect in any significant detail, anything that happens in real life, since I get my fill of that from the news, and other people. I much prefer to read something either entirely fictitious or that draws a decent parallel with real events rather than trying to mimic them in some way.

Breathing space looks like it has potential. The old "Bad cop" bit is rarely dull, and the death of the main character at the beggining of the story is just what it needed to pique my interest.

McNulty

This is the kind of misconception that ruins strips like Savage for me.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I myself was not saying that Savage was a terrorist or a freedom fighter, I was simply referring to what the British and the Volgs saw him as. The British fighters who died obviously saw him as a freedom fighter, while the Volg captain referred to him, and the other fighters as terrorists, thugs, insurgents, etc...I was only pointing out that there was two points of view being shown here.

Trout

I always read the phrase "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" as referring to how a person is described by others, rather than what they do.

- Trout

Funt Solo

:: "I really think Savage could do without the Iraq comparisons."

:: "The "report" read like a commentary on the american military's heavy handedness"

YUP!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WoD

Just me who hasn't had it yet then???

paulvonscott

Seems to me if you're looking for fantasy strips with no echoes on real life, then Judge Dredd  with it's long record of satire and commentary as well as Savage would be best avoided.  

I don't see Savage as a good guy as such, he has always seemed like a bit of a nutter to me.  Just be glad of whose side he's fighting on really, as as he's a bit of a rogue agent.  In the original he seemed to never really want to be part of an official organisation as such, he just wanted the back up for his own warped and violent plans.  He's not exactly the robin hood of heroic tales, more the 80's Robin Hood's Will Scarlett on dangerous medication.

Satanist

Just gotta say that was the best Dredd in ages.

The rests all good too.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JMSwallow

DXB said:
"In terms of Dredd on the Moon the recetn Black Library novel (Eclipse?) ties the Moon Marshal stories together with the recently reprinted John Smith Dredd on the moon story in such a way to set up Breathing space - I believe the novelist collaborated with Rob to get it spot on."

Eclipse was actually written after Breathing Space but it's set chronologically before it. Rob Williams and I got together and chatted about the threads of the story to make sure everything connects. I put in references that pay off in Breathing Space - among other things, Eclipse shows the final fate of Judge Marshal Tex and establishes some of the problems facing Luna-1 (such as the lack of Zipper Bikes).

SamuelAWilkinson

Re: Luna-1 Judge uniforms?

Never having read a Luna-1 strip before, don't know if they're new or not. Do know that they look a bit Star Trekky for my liking.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

bombkangaroo

Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a good sattire, I just prefer somethign a little more thought provoking.

This weeks Dredd was, as I have come to realise, for pacing. The last story ended in a fairly triumphal manner, with a feel-good moment when Vienna grows some balls and kills Vin Deisel.(it's too early to remember his real name)

This one seems to have gone in completely the opposite direction, it slowly plods along, with little happening, then has a nasty ending. While I don't much like the story in and of itself, I have managed to gain a greater appreciation fo its technical merit.

bombkangaroo

Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a good sattire, I just prefer somethign a little more thought provoking.

This weeks Dredd was, as I have come to realise, for pacing. The last story ended in a fairly triumphal manner, with a feel-good moment when Vienna grows some balls and kills Vin Deisel.(it's too early to remember his real name)

This one seems to have gone in completely the opposite direction, it slowly plods along, with little happening, then has a nasty ending. While I don't much like the story in and of itself, I have managed to gain a greater appreciation fo its technical merit.

paulvonscott

Heh, didn't seem like a feel good momemnt to me!  I suspect we're at different ends of the Dredd appreciation spectrum generally BK, as in I couldn't disagree with you more!  But each to there own.