Main Menu

Who got da funk?

Started by Art, 29 April, 2004, 04:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

I actually ...shock... Kind of enjoyed Savage, despite some of the dialogue being clunk-mongous. I think it's the art, Bill just looks properly psycho, like some villainous cockerney Patrick McGoohan.

petemaskreplica

You feeling alright, Art?

Yeah I really enjoyed it too, for once Mills managed to make his political points without losing the plot (in every sense).

I can't help wondering if he's chosen "funk" as his pretend swear word because there's a scene in a future episode where Savage goes into a pub and sorts aaaht a barman, or bar-steward.

Dudley

Given my usual mixed feelings about even the generally-loved Pat Mills masterpieces, I was VERY surprised to discover that Savage was actually my favourite story in the new line-up.  

"I work for the Gas Board" - genuinely good one-liner.

But I might go over the strip later changing the n's to c's in every occurence of the word funk.

Quirkafleeg

ahhh

So Savage is The Prisoner to Invasion's Danger Man?

(Next Week: Savage causing Funking Mayhem at the '70s night disco in his local!)

Oddboy

It is pretty good so far, isn't it?

Funkadelic!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dan Kelly

Savage TV version complete with "wakka-wakka" guitar soundtrack a-la Shaft.  Funky

Dan

Al_Ewing

I'm hearing Savage with more of a Michael Caine voice than Patrick McGoohan... "You're a big man, Marshal Vashkov. But yer ahhta shape."
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dudley

Just a thought - aren't the Volgans meant to be a Central Asian state, from somewhere around Turkmenistan?  In which case what we've got here is a Muslim superpower occupying a UK broken by years of economic warfare...

Oooh, this is diamond, innit?

Mr C

They're Rooskies, not Muslims.

Al_Ewing

River Volga, innit? Flooded in 1990, presumably, causing all kinds of cold war shenanigans.

GordonR

They're identified as 'the Volgan Repubic of Asia' in the first page of the original Invasion strip.

Invasion was conceived as being about a Russian take-over of Blighty, but IPC management got cold feet about that, and ordered the Russkies to be turned into something else.  I think it works much better with fictional Volgs, rather than real-life Russians.

If you look at a lot of the artwork in Invasion, there's definitely a strong 'slant-eyed yellow devils' look to the Volgs, suggesting they are Asian, even if they're names sound Russian.

As mentioned, the River Volga is in Russia, and is kind of the dividing line between European and Asiatic Russia.  Stalingrad - now Volgograd - is on the Volga.

Floyd-the-k

being fictional meant the Volgs got to have a much more evil looking flag than that Hammer and Sickle thing
  Invasion was funking excellent.

yours still not sure wether to get up or get down

Queen Firey-Bou

wel i kinda assumed they was a mixture o russkie types to mongols & asians all thrown in, theres a whole loto peoples east o hackeny.

did you know you can fly to novosibirisk for as cheap as ?454 ? sigh. some day my volg will.. round up my huskies for me.

Al_Ewing

Someone will now write a full 2000AD political timeline starting with that wonky missile in Disaster 1990 and ending with Torquemada getting killed...

Krustabi

I thought it was good. Mills must be proud of himself after he managed to make jokes about Christians AND gays USING THE SAME CHARACTER!!!...