Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Heh. I'm gonna re-read Books of Blood now. I thought Lord of Illusion was class. The film was... not so good.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Finished House of the Vampire last night. Not bad. Not great.

I'm reading The Turtle Boy now. Pretty good so far.

The Bissler

Quote from: Mikey on 05 July, 2012, 03:19:31 PM
Quote from: Syne on 05 July, 2012, 01:25:38 AM
Just finished Clive Barker's Books of Blood vol. 1. The last story, "In the Hills, the Cities," is the stand-out. As I was reading it I was thinking how ridiculous the central concept was, but by the end it had come together in a very real and disquieting way. I keep catching myself thinking it'd almost be possible, then have to remind myself that it wouldn't, not really....

Yuh huh. That's a hell of a story that - the tone is just perfect.

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 July, 2012, 12:56:55 PM
But "Dread"... Oh man...

Yuh huh. Seriously good, hair raising yarn.  Anyone seen the film? I haven't and I really don't need to if I'm honest.

M.

I've seen the film, thought it was pretty decent.  A nice slow build-up and some good time spent getting to know the characters before things got horrible.  Once they did, there were some genuinely upsetting moments.  I read the books about 20 years ago so I can't remember how close to the short story it was.

I recently reread Weaveworld again and would highly recommend it to anyone.  Barker at his best!

Zarjazzer

The 6th edition of Warhammer 40k and I still can't work out who shoots who when, anyway also Rogue Trader not alas the evil bankers but more sunny, uplifting times in the Eastern Rim of the galaxy.  ;)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

shaolin_monkey

I'm working through Death Note at the mo, up to volume five.  Interesting stuff.  The way the two main characters interact, you'd think the writer had a split personality!

Use of Weapons is on the go too. That's a return read for me.  I must have read it well over a decade ago, and retained some sense of how good it is.  It's even better on a second read.

SmallBlueThing

'Loss of Separation', by Conrad Williams, which is published by Solaris, which is owned by Rebellion. Oddly, this fact caused me to think twice before buying as, while a many of the Solaris and Abaddon novels have been massively entertaining, very few have been particularly clever or memorable or groundbreaking, and i was the mood for something of that ilk.

The good news is, fifty pages in, 'Loss' is very promising. It seems to be mining a similar seam of horror as a number of the 'quiet' fictions ive been reading of late- the output of Spectral Press, and Adam Neville's 'The Ritual', for instance- and is getting under my skin quite nicely.
Google it to see what the book's about, as im far too high on diazepam and tramadol a present to type much more, but safe to say if you're canny enough to have been following the 'new wave of british horror writers'- Gary McMahon, Adam Neville, Gary Fry, Tom Fletcher, our own Wayne Simmons, and Alison Littlewood, etc- then this should be high on your 'to read' list.
SBT

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I remember seeing Harlan Ellison on YouTube mentioning Conan Doyle as an inspiring writer to look to. The Hound of the Baskervilles is the first story in this collection. A true classic.   

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Darren Stephens

Just finished reading "Ultimate X : Origins". I must admit, I got this primarily for the artwork by Arthur Adams, which is mind-blowingly gorgeous. I ended up enjoying the story, too, although I'm not really a fan of X-Men. Love to see Adams on Dredd.....can just imagine it!  :o
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

DeFuzzed

Night Watch, Terry Pratchett. Takes skill to be so cutting in such a likeable, funny way. If Pratchett had been a politician, all would have fallen before him.

Spaceghost

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 July, 2012, 04:11:37 PM
I'm working through Death Note at the mo, up to volume five.  Interesting stuff.  The way the two main characters interact, you'd think the writer had a split personality!

I'm re-reading this at the moment and I'm up to volume 6 now. It's great, even when you know what will happen. The next few volumes will blow you away.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

zombemybabynow

Carl Hiaasen - Star Island.  First time i've entered the odd florida world but wow, incredibly well written (and quirky,) characters
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mardroid

I've just started Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. It's a free novel downloadable from his website, here.

So far quite promising. An unusual magic system (he likes his magic systems does Brandon) which is interesting which seems to resolve around colours and animating objects. Different again from the flying/TK metal manipulation stuff of the Mistborn books.

Aonghus

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 07 July, 2012, 10:19:20 AM
The 6th edition of Warhammer 40k and I still can't work out who shoots who when

I hear it's still an improvement on 5th edition though! (but that was a mess so...)
I'm still happily playing 4th ed anyway :D

I bought an ereader as a graduation present for myself last week and am currently ploughing through much of Project Gutenberg's back catalogue. A Princess of Mar (Edgar Rice Burroughs) and the Bible (King James Version) are on my current list.

DeFuzzed

Thanks, Mardroid. Downloaded. Still haven't got round to checking out his WoT novels yet though, since I'm waiting until the series ends, so I have no idea how well he's handled the takeover. Anyone read them? How did he do?

Mardroid

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 09 July, 2012, 02:56:53 PM
Thanks, Mardroid. Downloaded. Still haven't got round to checking out his WoT novels yet though, since I'm waiting until the series ends, so I have no idea how well he's handled the takeover. Anyone read them? How did he do?

I've read both  instalments (still waiting for the series finale of course)  and in my opinion he has done very well. Of course it's co-written with Jordan, but his voice works well in the series.