Main Menu

Judge Dredd vs. The Big Two!

Started by robocook, 28 December, 2011, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robocook

Colin YNWA

One thing I love about that cover, which is probably not a good thing, is the fact you have all those troops running into deadly conflicit and it looks like Rogue's telling the reader all about fruit gums and a free poster!

Frank

Quote from: robocook on 20 July, 2013, 09:00:21 AM
Cam Kennedy and the Future War Fiasco...

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/future-war-fiasco.html

The secret of Fruit Gums is that Fruit Pastilles taste the same but don't pull your teeth out when you chew them. That cover's a great example of how so much of Cam Kennedy's great work on Rogue Trooper relied on the interplay of abstract shapes for its effect, like the dynamic explosions and white blast effects there, the repetition of the ovals in Rogue's helmet, or those incredible suns with rays emanating from them which dominated the composition of Kennedy's Nu-Earth landscapes.

All of which reminded me of the Kirby-esque visual language of cosmic apocalypse Edmund Bagwell's been employing in The Ten Seconders this week.

Frank

You should definitely feel free to pimp this here nearer the time of the exhibition, Steve:

I remember the spoof Face cover the Megazine ran around the time of Necropolis and thinking it was odd that Sophie Aldred appeared to be the model. Then I found out the editor, David Bishop, was a big Dr Who fanboy and it all made sense. I didn't realise you worked for Dr Who magazine too.

robocook

Thanks! Didn't know if there was a crossover or not.
Feel free to spread the word!

Yes, I worked on Doctor Who magazine when I was at Marvel UK, but because I was also a freelance photographer I did a fair bit of photography on set which is where I met Sophie. We were doing a few photo sessions for fun around the time I was at 2000AD, and you're right about David being a Who fan, which is how the Megazine cover came about.

robocook

ming

Loving these close-ups, Steve - really worth spending the extra time spent revisiting these!

Also great to see this cover used for the recent Fatties collection; did Rebellion use your production art for that (I guess so, and hope to see more use made of your archive).

The original art for this cover is with me these days: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=986617

:)

Steve Green

Gorgeous - one of my fave Dredd stories by Cam.

robocook

I haven't seen that, David. I don't recall giving them a scan of it, but then my memory is not as it used to be... I think...

Good to see you have the art!

ming

Quote from: robocook on 11 August, 2013, 12:02:27 AM

I haven't seen that, David. I don't recall giving them a scan of it, but then my memory is not as it used to be... I think...

Good to see you have the art!

Here it is...

http://imgur.com/jOaQwb9

ming

robocook

Thanks, David! Looks to me like they've re-coloured it digitally. They probably still had the black film of the original. These were usually kept in the archives.