Main Menu

Judge Dredd vs. The Big Two!

Started by robocook, 28 December, 2011, 11:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robocook

I have it on good authority that all of these covers were painted by Tom, back in the day.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robocook on 18 August, 2012, 09:21:07 AM

BOLLAND.

http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/bolland-does-dredd.html

Wow a better example of how the true colours really make a difference I'd struggle to imagine. The intensity of the blacks in contrast with the explosion really make that pop... well pop rather understates it!

robocook

But more importantly, what about Barbi Benton?   :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robocook on 18 August, 2012, 01:29:40 PM

But more importantly, what about Barbi Benton?   :)

Am I going to expose a vast lack of cool if I admit to being lost there???

Having just done a quick search on previous unknown Ms. Benton I feel I really should have known more about her!

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 August, 2012, 02:22:36 PM
Having just done a quick search on previous unknown Ms. Benton I feel I really should have known more about her!

Had to google that too, and I have to agree that the contrasting colours really make those pop. Thanks for posting the Bolland image, Steve, and if it's not an awkward question, [spoiler]is the stuff you're posting taken from the original repro film, or is this actual artwork that you managed to liberate from the Nerve Centre? And if that's an impolitic question, I'd be grateful if some helpful mod could remove it on my behalf[/spoiler].

Spikes

Very nice, as is Ms Benton.

I know you was asking Robocook about these covers Bikini Kill, but these are production art, so not actual original artwork.
Im sure Robocook can expand on this further.

robocook

Yes, Line art is printed black on the acetate overlay and blue (which doesn't repro) on the base. The original art of these is the colour paint which is applied to the blue line. Acetate is then placed on top for repro.

robocook

I have a strange feeling that Ms Benton will make further appearances.

Frank

Quote from: robocook on 18 August, 2012, 05:41:03 PM
Yes, Line art is printed black on the acetate overlay and blue (which doesn't repro) on the base. The original art of these is the colour paint which is applied to the blue line. Acetate is then placed on top for repro

Thanks (both of you) for your replies; it's good to know someone preserved this stuff for posterity.

Steve, at the risk of being a nuisance, have you ever thought of doing something similar to David Bishop's Thrill-Power Overload? That was a publishing history of the comic, but I'd be incredibly interested in something that traced the development of the art, reproduction and design history of 2000ad; from black and white line art printed on bog paper, with a hand-drawn logo and dodgy type-setting, to full colour art with a bespoke typeface that's drawn, assembled and read digitally.

You're doing a lot of the groundwork necessary for such a project already, and it'd make a great feature in The Megazine, especially if Kev O'Neil and Robin Smith were involved.

robocook

Not a nuisance in any way. I have already discussed such a project with Rian Hughes, seeing as we've both designed a few comics over the years. I can't imagine it would need to be restricted solely to 2000AD though.

Colin YNWA

That would be a very interesting read be great if you and Rian could get that done.