Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: radiator on 04 September, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
I refuse to 'switch my brain off' and sit through any old shite just because it has a couple of good action scenes in it - to me, that's just not good enough.

A shame, you miss some great movie moments that way.

Anyway, last night I saw:

Out For Justice

You see these kids nowadays they just see Steve Seagal as some fat bloke who whispers a lot.  Well, they should sit down and watch this and they would realise that once he was a thin bloke with a bad Italien-American accent!

Steve's first four films were Above The Law, Marked for Death, Out for Justice and Under Siege.  Wow, never more so has there been an example of someone who should have quit while they were ahead.  Nothing he has done since has matched those early highs.

In Out for Justice Steve plays a cop who's partner is shot in the street in front of his family by some wise-guy wannabe.  This is based in Brooklyn and apparantly Steve knew the shooter from when they were kids.  It's basically a man-hunt after this but the shooting has made Steve go bat-shit crazy so chances are the shooter is going to end up Dead.

This is a really enjoyable movie with a lot more violence than I remember.  Steve doesn't mind breaking a few bones or cracking a few skulls - meat cleavers, pool cues and a pool ball in a rag are all used to dispence justice.  In the end, Steve manages to catch up with the shooter and as expected it doesn't end well for him but at least Steve manages to pin it on another mob guy.

Well worth a watch for anyone who wants to remember what real men were like in the late 80s/early 90s.  :thumbsup:

shaolin_monkey

I saw Flight last night.

The airplane crash was epic.  Everything afterwards was a by the numbers drama about personal demons and redemption.  Not bad for an evening's view, and different to what was I was expecting.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 September, 2013, 03:06:08 PM
different to what was I was expecting.

Me too- as in way better.
Not a bad movie at all.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, the problem with Bad Boys 2 isn't that it's a big dumb action film, in the right circumstances I love big dumb action movies. As Radiator says, the problem is that it's way too baggy to be the breezy watch that those kind of films should be. Knock an hour off it and you've got a great fun, dumb action movie that you could sit through a few times on telly.

As it is it takes a whole evening to watch the bloody thing so it just doesn't seem like the fun throwaway prospect it should be.

radiator

Yep.

I don't think I've ever watched a film and thought "That really could have benefited from being longer", but I've lost count of the amount of times I've thought the opposite.

Professor Bear

I finished high school, I know how to read, I don't hate my fellow man without extreme cause, and I don't mentally cower in terror from gay men and try to mask the unspoken fear that they will rape me and turn me gay with uneasy ridicule - for these and many other reasons, Bad Boys 2 is not for me, but I was glad that I watched it because I would never have to do so again.

There is something like 30 minutes of the running time dedicated to hilarious misunderstandings where one or both of the main characters is mistaken for a gay person and then some onlooker makes a face that is a mixture of betrayal and disgust at the discovery that a manly man is actually a big poof, so it is basically a film made before Michael Bay knew how to hide his view of non-whites, non-heterosexuals and non-males like he did in the Transformers films.

Graff Vynda K

Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse. Now that's a movie that separates the men from the boys...it's about 130 minutes, black and white, Hungarian with subtitles, and the whole thing is in just 15 takes, including the most outrageous opening tracking shot I've ever seen. A masterful and universal apocalypse.

Ghost MacRoth

Got round to watching 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' yesterday.  Pretty much what I expected.  Too much lens flare, muddy and visually confused cg in places, and a general feeling of 'fuck you old star trek!'.  However, I had expected more of the cummerbundle geezer.  His severe overacting while going through the bit about 'wouldn't you do anything for your family' could I suppose have been tempered with better shot choices from the director, but still, it was a tad....hammy.  [spoiler]And Quinto's cry of 'KHAAAAAAAN' just didn't work at all.  I mean, he's not gonna hear you bud, you aren't on comms, so other than a shite throwback link, what was the point? [/spoiler]  [spoiler]Then the whole thing with Khan's blood to revive Kirk, well it  was so clumsy it was laughable. [/spoiler]  Overall, a fairly forgettable film.  Oh, except the one thing that is now lodged in my mind......Simon Pegg is SHITE at a Scottish accent.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 04 September, 2013, 08:15:31 PM
Got round to watching 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' yesterday.  Pretty much what I expected.  Too much lens flare, muddy and visually confused cg in places, and a general feeling of 'fuck you old star trek!'.  However, I had expected more of the cummerbundle geezer.  His severe overacting while going through the bit about 'wouldn't you do anything for your family' could I suppose have been tempered with better shot choices from the director, but still, it was a tad....hammy.  [spoiler]And Quinto's cry of 'KHAAAAAAAN' just didn't work at all.  I mean, he's not gonna hear you bud, you aren't on comms, so other than a shite throwback link, what was the point? [/spoiler]  [spoiler]Then the whole thing with Khan's blood to revive Kirk, well it  was so clumsy it was laughable. [/spoiler]  Overall, a fairly forgettable film.  Oh, except the one thing that is now lodged in my mind......Simon Pegg is SHITE at a Scottish accent.

But did you like it...?
@jamesfeistdraws

JudgeE1M1RT

The last film I watched was City of God. I really recommend it if you're into films about gangs. Its in Portuguese with English subtitles though.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 September, 2013, 08:34:13 PM
But did you like it...?

I have to admit that yes, in parts, I did.  There where some good performances, nicely choreographed action sequences, and a touch of humour too.  But while I'd certainly watch it if nowt else was on the telly at the time, I'd not bother buying it, or seeking it out over other stuff.  I guess I just don't dig Abrahms directorial style.

As for City of God?  Genius film.  The sequence about the flat is just brilliant.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JudgeE1M1RT

QuoteAs for City of God?  Genius film.  The sequence about the flat is just brilliant.

Indeed, that's still one of my favorite sequences in a film. The whole film is magnificently done, there's nothing in it I can really complain about.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 04 September, 2013, 08:54:44 PM
The last film I watched was City of God. I really recommend it if you're into films about gangs. Its in Portuguese with English subtitles though.

Just saw this recently too. I'm not into gang films but I really recommend it too.

HdE

Sat down at my drawing board tonight to ink some stuff, and put Prometheus on for a bit of background noise.

Actually found myself REALLY enjoying the movie afresh, in spite of having seen it several times and acknowledging several of the very real plot-holes. I also noticed that one of the commonly voiced criticisms the movie attracts doesn't really hold up. Not saying which one, mind. ;) Suffice to say, I finished my inking, and saw the last half of the movie out from the comfort of my sofa.

Also: my manly yearnings toward Noomi Rapace remain undiminished. Rawr.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

shaolin_monkey

John Carter (of Mars) 3D - not bad, a nice Flash Gordon/Sinbad feel, but 30 mins too long, and the 3D felt a little tacked on.