Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

I'm sorry Dave, I've been out for the day, with friends, for the first time in a year. I'm a bit pissed but news of your passing has sobered me up somewhat. My sense of loss at your passing is nothing to some who have posted on this tread and certainty nothing compared to that suffered by your family. I just remember a truly kind and giving man who loved what he did and encouraged all others, regardless of their talent. We only met once at the 2000ad 40th and on a couple of art comp collaborations, but you were always tolerant, kind and giving. Rest easy you magnificent bastard.

Bad Andy

Och. Poor Bolt. Upsetting news.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Sorry to hear about your mate.
You may quote me on that.

Robin Low

I've exchanged a few emails with Dave, though not recently. I'd be meaning to drop him a line, but sadly that can't happen now.

Our emails weren't long ones, but I came away with the sense of a kind, friendly man. On the board, I noticed he always thanked anyone who bought or commented on Zarjaz, Dogbreath and Futurequake.

A great loss to the board, but a far greater one to his family and friends, to whom my sincere and deep condolences.

Regards,
Robin

NapalmKev

I only met Dave and family once. It was at the 2000AD 40th anniversary and they were lovely, even letting me take a photo of Mini-Bolts Gronk teddy.

My sincerest condolences to Daves' Family and Friends.
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

dweezil2

Always deeply sad when one of the 2000AD fraternity take the long work.
Sincere condolences to Dave's family and all who knew him.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

WoD

Properly gutted to hear the news. Dave was genuinely one of the nicest guys you could meet. Loved the time working with him and Richmond back in the day and can't believe there's no chance of it happening again.

He's going to be missed by a lot of people, think that says a lot.

WoD

Mikey

Just heard about this. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I'm glad I met the man even if it was only briefly at the 40th celebration. He was every bit as friendly and genuine as his online persona suggested.

I was always charmed by how he referred to his kids as diminutives of Bolt and it's great to know that came from the estimable Trout. As others have said he was clearly the best of us and touched so many people's lives in nothing but positive ways.

Rest easy Bolt.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dudley

TordelBack

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

blackmocco

Not on here much anymore, folks, but saw the news this morning and had to come in and pay the respects. Can't lie - I'm gutted with that. Won't pretend I knew Dave very well but we exchanged a lot of email over the years when I was contributing to Zarjaz a few times and wasn't hard to figure out from there what a decent, funny, patient and enthusiastic skin he was, even after I convinced him we should risk Uncle Pat's wrath to do a Nemesis strip, convinced him it should be twelve (!!) pages long and convinced him he should do a bigger size for a one-off summer special. Rather than telling me to eff off - as he should have - he just went for it instead, refusing my offers to help offset the larger printing costs and doing the dirty work I was too scared to do by contacting Pat to ask if it was all okay.

I think what's worth considering from all this - and as someone else has already pointed out in here - is that people can literally change other's lives with their actions and Dave was clearly one of those people. There's a long list of writers and artists who can thank him personally for giving them a place and opportunity to showcase their talents and move into the big leagues and let's not forget that no-one's buying a private island from editing and contributing to small press. Dave did all that stuff without a second thought and for no reward other than his own satisfaction and pure love of the medium. That's no small thing and it's really all I've been thinking about today since I heard the news.

All my sympathy to his family and his many, many friends. I'll be hoisting one skywards for Dave tonight and wishing him well. Take care of yourselves, folks. All we've got is each other.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

my real sympathies to all of you who were lucky enough to have known this clearly ace dude. the body of brilliant work lives on. more importantly, the clear inspiration that he touched so many lives with is both invincible and a testament.

The Legendary Shark

Via email:

I only heard the sad news today. I recall being in contact with Dave on Zarjaz and he was very supportive and understanding of comic
creators' views. My condolences to his family.

Pat (Mills)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Not sure if this needs it's own new thread but if you could share this wherever you can think it needs to go:

The family of our beloved Bolt have asked me to share a JustGiving page for his funeral.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rememberdave

Also - and I cannot emphasise this enough - don't be afraid to reach out if you're in pain and forgive yourself always. You are not alone ❤