Main Menu

How was your weekend?

Started by Tiplodocus, 22 September, 2008, 05:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

OK, some bad things happened but when I balanced it up against all of the pleasurable things (or things that gave me a sense of achievement) on the whole, it was a pretty good weekend:

finally painting the cupboards in Tiny Tips' room (three years he's been waiting),

a visit to watch THE BOY WITH STRIPED PYJAMAS (a film about the holocaust as viewed through a child's eyes sounds like a terrible idea but great performances, an underplayed turn as Camp Commandant by David Thewlis and a gut wrenching and dark finale make it well worth a visit),

drinking wine with my wife in front of the first log fire of the autumn

a football training session with Tiny Tips (after I'd told him that the goalkeeper is overprotected in the modern game, I was out of advice)

got a nice haircut

a nice walk around Rozelle House in Alloway

clearing a couple of levels of Metroid Prime (original Gamecube version). It looks like a good game and the graphics still hold up well but I'm slightly irked by the scan mechanic and the amount of backtracking.

a big family meal on Sunday and

logging on to do a horrendous Tax Relief at Source calculation for work last night only to find it had not been delivered so I had to watch highlights of Manchester City thrashing Portsmouth instead.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buddy

I went Salsa dancing on friday with a date I got from the Plenty of Fish website and had a great time (but no funny business you understand).

Had man-flu on saturday so had lots of hot whiskeys to help that, went out for a meal Saturday night (Steak and Lobster Thermador, delish!).

On Sunday I watched the Miami Dolphins thrash New England in the American football, Shrewsbury didn't get beat and I'm top of my works fantasy football league after a terrible start when I was just about dead last. So a good sporting weekend was had.

Roger Godpleton

Worked 23 and a half out of 48 hours.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Old Tankie

House of Usher

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"went out for a meal Saturday night (Steak and Lobster Thermador, delish!).

That's two meals, surely? Either way, sounds like a good night!

My weekend was so-so... watched telly, took antibiotics, took steroids by inhaler, went out for a walk in the park, had tea and a sandwich in Tesco, bought some provisions, queued forever because the girl at the checkout was really slow and it took 5 whole minutes every time someone paid and she was really slowly picking apart the large banknotes to get at the silver strip inside to check they weren't forgeries. Watched Strictly Come Dancing, sort of watched Merlin, phoned the in-laws, read some comics, diddled about on the Internet. Stuck a DVD on to record 'After Hours' - superb film, starring Griffin Dunne. Watched X-Factor, watched Tess of the D'Urbervilles, thought about a civil service job application.
STRIKE !!!

SamuelAWilkinson

It was quite good, thanks for asking. I finally got off my arse and picked up some shelves so I could finish unpacking my stuff three months after moving in.The place looks quite nice and civilised now.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Stayed up to 2.30am on Saturday night playing the XBox, then slept to 10.30am while the missus was up with the kids.

When it's my turn for a long lie, I like to get time in at both ends.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

I went to the pub at work for a pint at 7 o'clock on Friday night and finally got back in the house at 4 the next morning. Consequently, I didn't leave the house on Saturday, opting to sit in reading Progs 1289 - 1299 (part of my erratic campaign of reading backwards through all the ones I've missed) and watching The Two Towers.

On Sunday, I went to IKEA and B&Q then lost a pub quiz because I was too full of pasta to concentrate on the questions.
We never really die.

SamuelAWilkinson

Oh, I also sat down and watched 12 Angry Men for the first time last night, which completely blew me away. Anyone who hasn't watched it is in for an absolute treat.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Trout

On Sunday I went to Falkland Palace and enjoyed watching Longmanshort stamp around a field in (I think) 17th-century costume.
He was part of a crowd of shouty people called the Sealed Knot Society. They then fired guns and a cannon, and my two-and-a-half-year-old daughter started heckling: "Manny, 'nuff! 'Nuff! Too much! Noise!"

Less funny, but almost as interesting, was Welcome to Sarajevo, which I watched on Saturday night.

But the Ryder Cup was shit.

- Trout

jakeblues69

I spent a lot of quality time catching up on my wanking.

I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

TordelBack

Cripes!

Went to a wedding in Lucca, Tuscany, which was absolutely fab in every particular (wedding, company, setting, food, wine, hotel, sprog behaviour, nooky). Alas, attending actually cost more the whole of our own wedding (dress included), but that's probably because I'm a cheap bastard.  What the hey though, it was just what the doctor ordered, and feck me but those people know good wine and better coffee.

They also know their comics - got to visit the National Fumetti Museum, which was pretty awesome (although a bit short on original art), and included life-size stylised creations of key comics locations.  One of the things I love about Italian comics is who they mix in the T'n'A with the kiddy stuff - naked Valentina sitting side by side with Topolino (Mickey Mouse).  Also, an awesome comic shop right on Via Filunga, the main shopping street, with female staff and no discernible odour!.