Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Thanks! I'll have some more coming soon :-)

It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 28 June, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
Insofar as the figures have the same motion, the aliens look similar, the faces have the same construction, the panel composition is similar.

Intermittently, I attempt to steal Cam's style by scanning pages of his art and attempting to replicate his technique in Manga Studio and I disagree with every part of that, and I say that as the person that petitioned Wake to get Cam's three Slaine covers correctly attributed on BARNEY.

If you see Cam's hand in that work, then that's what you see, and fair enough. I will genuinely eat my hat if those pages are Cam's work.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 June, 2013, 06:57:33 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 28 June, 2013, 06:52:09 PM
Insofar as the figures have the same motion, the aliens look similar, the faces have the same construction, the panel composition is similar.

Intermittently, I attempt to steal Cam's style by scanning pages of his art and attempting to replicate his technique in Manga Studio and I disagree with every part of that, and I say that as the person that petitioned Wake to get Cam's three Slaine covers correctly attributed on BARNEY.

If you see Cam's hand in that work, then that's what you see, and fair enough. I will genuinely eat my hat if those pages are Cam's work.

Cheers

Jim

Oh, I doubt very much they are by him, just that they remind me of him. Unless he did these when very young.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fatboydale on 28 June, 2013, 06:52:31 PM
I was think Alex Nino ??

That wouldn't actually surprise me. I'm not familiar enough with his work to attempt an attribution, but there are enough pieces knocking about on the internet for me to see some definite similarities.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

o1s1n

Quote from: Skullmo on 28 June, 2013, 06:34:08 PM
I just realised I had not posted this one here! I got this a while ago.

For all the Hicklenton fans  ::)

One of the best pages in that whole story, amazing man.

On a side note, it's great to see it still looks so fresh too! I wish I could go back in time and snatch those felt markers out of JH's hands. Damn things fade horribly!  :(

Skullmo

Yes. I think that about a lot of the art I see being done now: Henry Flint, Cliff Robinson, MacNeil - Markers :-(

Also, a lot of John's art seems to have water damage. I don't think he took care of it :-( Maybe he did not realise it's brilliance.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Fatboydale on 28 June, 2013, 06:52:31 PM

I was think Alex Nino ??

Drop him a line and ask him, via his (under construction) website: http://www.alexnino.net/ or via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/artofalexnino

o1s1n

Quote from: Skullmo on 28 June, 2013, 07:15:01 PM
Yes. I think that about a lot of the art I see being done now: Henry Flint, Cliff Robinson, MacNeil - Markers :-(

Also, a lot of John's art seems to have water damage. I don't think he took care of it :-( Maybe he did not realise it's brilliance.

All of the JH pages I've purchased came from people who bought them directly from John's dad at a market in Canterbury - and they weren't exactly selling for very much.

I believe he had these pages stored somewhere in his folks house - who I think did a clearout and just sold the stuff off at markets.

Like you said, I'm more than sure they didn't realize the significance of the pages. Which is a real shame.

Still, thankfully they weren't thrown out and we got them, even if they are a bit dirty..some might say it adds something to them too :)

Skullmo

Quote from: o1s1n on 28 June, 2013, 07:30:57 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 28 June, 2013, 07:15:01 PM

All of the JH pages I've purchased came from people who bought them directly from John's dad at a market in Canterbury - and they weren't exactly selling for very much.

I believe he had these pages stored somewhere in his folks house - who I think did a clearout and just sold the stuff off at markets.

Like you said, I'm more than sure they didn't realize the significance of the pages. Which is a real shame.

Still, thankfully they weren't thrown out and we got them, even if they are a bit dirty..some might say it adds something to them too :)

Some of them are very dirty! But they were edited! :P

Fatboydale

just one more thrill 2000ad issue 407 1- 4 complete Casanovas

Colin YNWA

You know whose work I see in that 1980 annual story... And I'm not suggesting it is by the way as I don't know enough about the guy to know his work or when he was active BUT Riot who did Tribal Memories (apologise I know he's been identified here by his real name before, but that escapes me.). There's something about the inking on a few panels and that last page, amongst other things, but given my struggle with Ian Kennedy as the Dredd artist it's clear I'm not to be trusted on such matters!

Call-Me-Kenneth

Was Riot not Brendan McCarthy?? :lol:

Love the last panel of that Casanovas strip Dale, that Bagley character actually looks a little like Doris Day!!

PS: Is that Alan Moore story your Grail, Dale?

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 June, 2013, 09:46:04 PM
You know whose work I see in that 1980 annual story... And I'm not suggesting it is by the way as I don't know enough about the guy to know his work or when he was active BUT Riot who did Tribal Memories (apologise I know he's been identified here by his real name before, but that escapes me.). There's something about the inking on a few panels and that last page, amongst other things, but given my struggle with Ian Kennedy as the Dredd artist it's clear I'm not to be trusted on such matters!

Tony Wright (Wright-riot, geddit?). I know what you mean - the contrast between dark, scratchy shaded areas and fine flat line detail on sections of primarily white armour and technology recalls Tribal Memories - but like you say, it's definitely not him.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 June, 2013, 02:20:27 PM
Even knowing that's Ian Kennedy, aside from Dredd's boot (and the bloody great signature) I still can't get it as Ian Kennedy! Don't know why just doesn't look like his work to my eyes???
I know what you mean. But looking at the dry brush effect on the front of the Lawmaster such as on the lights and tyre I now see it as being by Ian Kennedy.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Fatboydale on 28 June, 2013, 06:31:50 PM
Right Brain Boxes who drew this ??? 2000 AD Annual 1980 "The Man Who Saved the World"
Vanyo?