Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Speaking of Rich Elson - someone should reprint Sonic The Comic! I enjoyed recent his work on Morbius: The Living Vampire too, art was better than the script though.

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 August, 2013, 05:15:18 PM
Some lovely Rich Elson AHAB there Simeon.  I know from your other posts that you are a big Meg fan - I wonder if the recent Meg reprint is what made this appeal?

Cheers fella. Yes - that is exactly what prompted it. Meg 334 was my first 2000 AD comic after a very long absence, and it prompted me to buy some back issues to see what all the stories were about. I read and really enjoyed the AHAB reprint bundled with Meg 333 - I was particularly blown away by the design of the ship and the aliens. Then Dale put a page on eBay and the rest is history...

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 August, 2013, 05:15:18 PM
Great to have all the pieces of the artwork in that deconstructed way.  Very nice - embrace the chaos!

it's partly why I love collecting the art. Its great to see how the artists put it all together.

Who'd like an AHAB factoid? Sure you would! Rich said that the design of the 'boat' in the spread was inspired by the architecture of the nave in the church where one of his kids was doing a school play. Rich said:

I realised that it was basically an upside down boat so decided to repurpose the flying buttress design that you see on large cathedrals, turn it upside down, and used it as the main design for the whaler.

I can definitely see what he means...

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 August, 2013, 05:21:50 PM
Speaking of Rich Elson - someone should reprint Sonic The Comic! I enjoyed recent his work on Morbius: The Living Vampire too, art was better than the script though.

In the Meg interview he did back in 2009 (Meg 285 fact fans), Rich said he was very proud of Sonic, he enjoyed doing the art and thought they were great stories (some of which were penned by fellow AHAB creator Nigel Kitching). Mick McMahon said similar things I believe. I know some will smirk, but Rich described it in that interview as "the best comic in the country when we were doing it". The Meg article also says it lives on online somewhere...

I didn't catch Morbius, I may see if I can find it somewhere, but I am hopeful Rich will soon be back in the Prog...

Simon Beigh

Met up with the fantastically talented Ben Willsher today and we did a little trading of artwork. I am very conscious of Thrill Power Overload, so I will share these as and when I get them scanned and filed and all that.

First up, one of the loveliest drawings of Lawmaster you are likely so see from the Nadia storyline in DoC (could someone with Progs and a spare 5 mins give me the Prog, Episode and Page Number in that Episode as I only have the TPB - ta)...

Fascinating fact: this was the last time Ben ever hand drew the name on a judge's name badge in an interior page. He now prefers to do this digitally. It's not quite the last time he EVER drew a name, that happened later on and I just might have that page too ;)

Simon Beigh

I think it's Prog 1744, Part 2, Page 6...

Skullmo

A lovely page! I really like how he has drawn the lawmaster.  :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fatboydale

Nice Dredd page Simeon ( do you know how hard it is for a dyslexic like me from writing Simone )

Anyway something unusual 

hippynumber1

I always 'think' Simon and have to make a conscious effort to include the extra vowel!  :lol:

And that photo is mental Dale.

Simon Beigh

I know, my name is annoying isn't it. And to add to the confusion, it is actually pronounced 'Simon' which causes all sorts of fun. Why my mother couldn't spell it right in the first place... :D

It's well mental, Dale. I shall plead ignorance and ask what are we looking at?

Call-Me-Kenneth

That nemesis photo was fom some tony Luke phoo story from either a sci-fi special or an annual, if I recall correctly...

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 21 August, 2013, 06:38:52 PM
Met up with the fantastically talented Ben Willsher today and we did a little trading of artwork. I am very conscious of Thrill Power Overload, so I will share these as and when I get them scanned and filed and all that.

Very nice that. Would love me some Willsher at some point.
And nice to see your little DoC gallery over on CAF. Its great to see these themed collections, so good luck with snagging a page apiece from the artist's involved.

Skullmo

I love that Photo Dale!

I would just like to announce that that I am now the proud parent of two double page yearbook covers!  :D

Simon Beigh

Where does the art start and the coffee table stop :) . Great stuff, fella, I love these pieces!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Skullmo on 21 August, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
I love that Photo Dale!

I would just like to announce that that I am now the proud parent of two double page yearbook covers!  :D

Oh I love those covers. The Year books were such beautiful packages, alas not often backed up with content. Image if say the 81-83 Judge Dredd annual had been presented like this. I think the comics world would have just stopped and said "Okay 2000ad wins"

dark-spartan

that year book spread is an amazing piece of art, I don't remember seeing it in print so its great to see it now

saying that the Nemesis one is just weird, I never imagined the character being made out of silly putty and black plastic bin bags

Skullmo

That Nemesis head is the same one used in the video for the Nemesis song