Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Skullmo

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 31 August, 2013, 07:46:08 PM
( And continuing in 'the young folks' language......That's totes mega, innit !! )...

Cheers

Ouch!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

That final page from Day of Choas is not just a modern classic its probably one of the all time greats. Its a page of such weight, power and significance I think its one of the most important in Dredd's history. I'm discovering new levels of jealousy today... its an interesting experience!

Graff Vynda K

Quote from: sauchie on 31 August, 2013, 04:26:14 PM
Quote from: Graff Vynda K on 31 August, 2013, 04:23:50 PM
Flint, McNeil and Weston are three major holes in my collection...

How rude.

Did I say holes? I meant 'lacunae'.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Judge Jack on 31 August, 2013, 08:06:33 PM
Sometimes 'simple' is the best.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said it best.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 August, 2013, 09:40:16 PM
That final page from Day of Choas is not just a modern classic its probably one of the all time greats. Its a page of such weight, power and significance I think its one of the most important in Dredd's history.

Some great stuff posted over the weekend (Simeon's Dredd Marshall cover & Marks Shakara cover), but I have to agree with Colin here- Iain has bagged a piece of history, rendered by an artist who will one day be regarded as 2000AD's all time greatest.

Simon Beigh

"The city - his beloved city - is dying before his eyes"

I've been studying this piece a lot and referring back to the printed page. Yes, the shoulders are slumped, but it's the tightly clenched right hand fist that gets me. Flint chose to draw it almost in total shadow, but having looked at it for a little while it seems to be to be pretty tightly closed. Like the pain of clenching it that hard is trying to ease the pain he is feeling for his city...

Powerful stuff...

malak brood

QuoteSome great stuff posted over the weekend (Simeon's Dredd Marshall cover & Marks Shakara cover), but I have to agree with Colin here- Iain has bagged a piece of history, rendered by an artist who will one day be regarded as 2000AD's all time greatest.

Some great stuff indeed and, whilst I love the enthusiasm for the NWOTTAD Artists, you have got to be bloody kidding me  :o

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 02 September, 2013, 12:38:23 PM
"The city - his beloved city - is dying before his eyes"

I've been studying this piece a lot and referring back to the printed page. Yes, the shoulders are slumped, but it's the tightly clenched right hand fist that gets me. Flint chose to draw it almost in total shadow, but having looked at it for a little while it seems to be to be pretty tightly closed. Like the pain of clenching it that hard is trying to ease the pain he is feeling for his city...

Powerful stuff...

Aye, tight boots are just not enough anymore.
And David, he just is, ok?  ;)

ming

Quote from: malak brood on 02 September, 2013, 08:46:50 PM
QuoteSome great stuff posted over the weekend (Simeon's Dredd Marshall cover & Marks Shakara cover), but I have to agree with Colin here- Iain has bagged a piece of history, rendered by an artist who will one day be regarded as 2000AD's all time greatest.

Some great stuff indeed and, whilst I love the enthusiasm for the NWOTTAD Artists, you have got to be bloody kidding me  :o

Heh.  Assuming NWOTTAD = Now Working on Two Thousand AD, then on the matter of the assertion above, I have to agree with you.  There are many fine, fine artists working on 2000AD these days; Henry's one of the foremost talents, but all-time greatest?  Nah.  That's Brendan McCarthy, obviously ;)

There's no such thing as '2000ADs all-time Greatest' anything.  There are (and always have been) a number of supremely talented artists (and writers) on Tharg's roster, but if you put two Squaxx in a room, I'm fairly sure they'd offer conflicting opinions.  We can argue all day about things like this but it boils down to being a matter of personal preference.  Greatest artist based on what?  Draughtsmanship?  Storytelling?  Doing good hands?  You could do a 2000AD artist Top Trumps, though.

Henry Flint is an Art God at whose doorstep I place a large chunk of the responsibility for the current Golden Age in which we live in; obviously one of The Greats, but single greatest 2000AD artist...?  For you, maybe!  :)

dark-spartan

I thought I would share these two with you seeing as Simeon has shown his fantastic colour version of the Paul Marshall Dredd cover. 

The grey tone / red version looks great

Link Prime

Quote from: ming on 03 September, 2013, 08:37:17 AM
Quote from: malak brood on 02 September, 2013, 08:46:50 PM

Heh.  Assuming NWOTTAD = Now Working on Two Thousand AD, then on the matter of the assertion above, I have to agree with you.  There are many fine, fine artists working on 2000AD these days; Henry's one of the foremost talents, but all-time greatest?  Nah.  That's Brendan McCarthy, obviously ;)

There's no such thing as '2000ADs all-time Greatest' anything.  There are (and always have been) a number of supremely talented artists (and writers) on Tharg's roster, but if you put two Squaxx in a room, I'm fairly sure they'd offer conflicting opinions.  We can argue all day about things like this but it boils down to being a matter of personal preference.  Greatest artist based on what?  Draughtsmanship?  Storytelling?  Doing good hands?  You could do a 2000AD artist Top Trumps, though.

Henry Flint is an Art God at whose doorstep I place a large chunk of the responsibility for the current Golden Age in which we live in; obviously one of The Greats, but single greatest 2000AD artist...?  For you, maybe!  :)

Ok, I guess I should have added an "IMO" on that post, but I thought that was a given!

I agree 100% with this Ming, and truth be told if you shoved a de-registered Mark I Lawgiver into my mouth there's a high chance I'd flip like a cowardly prison snitch into declaring Kev O'Neill as being the greatest 2000AD artist of all time instead.

Like most of ye, I'm a 'lifer', so am heaping praise towards Henry Flint in full knowledge of who and what has come before him.
But consider this; 2014 will mark 20 years of Flint's prolific presence in the Prog.
He's grown from accomplished artist into Betelgeusian Treasure in that time, illustrating dozens of different strips- Dredd, Rogue, Nemesis, Dante, Zombo, Shakara to name a few- and his signature style is, to me, a potent blend of the very best of vintage & modern 2000AD.

So yeah- I'm a huge fan, and personally consider him as one of the best artists ever to grace the Prog.
Hopefully he'll be contributing for many decades to come. 

Simon Beigh

Quote from: dark-spartan on 03 September, 2013, 09:19:03 AM
I thought I would share these two with you seeing as Simeon has shown his fantastic colour version of the Paul Marshall Dredd cover. 

The grey tone / red version looks great

Thanks fella, and thanks for posting your pencils and inks - looks like we have another Paul Marshall fan in the house!