Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

More Dave Kendall 'nastiness', this time for Prog 1898's Aquila cover

Geoff

Link Prime

Lovely stuff, that was my favorite cover by the Kendall Droid last year.

Geoff

The hero of Northpool, unaware of the impending disaster.

One of my favourite stories, always brings a tear to the eye..

And Dave Gibbons work is breathtaking.

(Not sure how well the attachment is going to work, so: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1226792)

Geoff

Ooops - that wasn't Charlie!

That was a lovely early bit of McMahon and fun with the Ape Gang!

This is Charlie:

Colin YNWA

Even though that McMahon is only a half page it has Don Uggie on and is so very very beautiful. Yeah, yeah two pages of glorious Dave Gibbons Ro-Busters art but ya know DON UGGIE!

Fungus

I keep going back to that McMahon (half!) page... it's so damn perfect. It feels "rushed" but it's not, he's just a master. I'll be stating the bleedin' obvious again later, stay tuned!  :)

SuperSurfer

I'll 'ave 'alf a McMahon page anyday.

Those old-school letterers must have had nerves of steel to plaster all that sticky stuff with writing and bits of paint and ink onto all that amazing artwork. Combo of original art plus lettering looks really cool.

Link Prime

Just back from a stalk of your CAF page, Geoff- you've a few diamonds there!

Geoff

Thanks Link - got a couple of commissions in the pipeline which I'll post when they come...

Know what you mean Supersurfer - love the old pages with the speech bubbles stuck on.  I was really surprised when the Gibbons art arrived because the speech bubbles are not stuck on, but drawn directly onto the card!  Not come across this before...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Geoff on 14 May, 2015, 07:31:41 PM
I was really surprised when the Gibbons art arrived because the speech bubbles are not stuck on, but drawn directly onto the card!  Not come across this before...

It's because Dave was lettering his own work. (Some of his earliest (pre-2000AD) work was actually for US publishers, where the process was different to the UK, with the pencilling being done by one artist; the lettering being applied directly to the pencils by the letterer; and the inker, usually a different artist, finishing the page once the lettering was complete.)

I strongly suspect that, as well as being a very good letterer, there was an excellent business motive for lettering his own pages: Dave got an additional page rate for lettering but didn't actually have to draw as much as he would if someone else lettered the art.

(Mr Gibbons is a very canny businessman... Mick McMahon recounts on his blog how he changed his ink style on Dave's advice, to lay down all the blacks with a brush before starting the linework, since this meant you didn't draw unnecessary lines outlining areas you would then fill in with black.)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Geoff

Interesting stuff there Jim, is there no end to Gibbons' talents!

Spikes

Geek's aplenty courtesy of Mr Cam Kennedy

Simon Beigh

Spikes - You can't beat a good 'PHATOOM'. That's up there with some of Colin MacNeil's 'FOOMS' (one of which I am blessed to have in my collection). Does anyone know if Cam drew it or was it the Letterer? Colin does his own 'FOOMS'. Also, that lettering in the first speech bubble is interesting. That must have either been a lot of fun or a bit of a bugger!

Eamonn - Nice bit of Savage. Love that last panel...