Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Brett Ewins or David Gibbons

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 January, 2021, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

So haaaard... Gibbons' best work was away from the prog, but his work *in* the prog was fundamental in making it so great when I were a lad. Ewins did Bad Company, which should immediately guarantee him the medal. Um, er, um... Gibbons.

SBT

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

Dave Gibbons.

I actually struggled with this one. I love Bad Company and Brett's efforts on Dredd, but Gibbons art and contributions to Rogue Trooper (even War Machine) get him the win.

Andrew_J

Lordy...
On the basis of who's collected editions I can reach from my current location without having to stand up I will say Dave Gibbons.

Link Prime

TordelBack

Brett. His Dredd, Rogue and Bad Company combined beat even Dave's Rogue, Ro-Busters and Chronocops - and that's saying something. There's pages of Haunting of Sector House 9 that are among my favourite Dredd pages of all.

JayzusB.Christ

Dave Gibbons is amazing, of course, but as has been said before, for me his best stuff was done outside of the prog.

BAD Company arrived just as I was getting old enough to understand that the artwork of the prog was something special, and Brett's very sexy Anderson appeared as I began to notice something else I hadn't given much thought to before.

I didn't know at the time the tragic series of events that was contributing to the deterioration of his skill but when he was good he was very, very good.

I still draw, and indeed dress, in a way that owes a debt to Brett, so he wins it for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

Huey2

Dave Gibbons.
He's the definitive artist on Ro-Busters and with such a talent for drawing robots, it's a shame he didn't draw more of the episodes O'Neill or McMahon couldn't cover. Still, that Cyboons story is fantastic.

His art on Rogue Trooper was dynamic and atmospheric.

And then there are a load of fantastic one-offs. That first Doctor Dibworthy being a favourite.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Brett Ewans.

Anderson. Sector House 9. Bad Company.

I know there are reasons not to vote this way.
Lock up your spoons!

DrJomster

Gibbons for that iconic Rogue Trooper introduction. I know a lot of his stuff is outside the prog, but this intro was just so defining. Brett's Anderson and Bad Company were, for want of a better term, super good though.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

maryanddavid

Really hard, Chronocops is one of the best thing ever published in the prog, but the first series of Bad Company blew me away, so judging on prog work along, by a hairs-breadth it's Brett.