Main Menu

Preacher

Started by Something Fishy, 20 August, 2003, 08:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

A mate of mine sold me the complete Preacher (all issues and specials) for a tenner the other week.

I'm only about 25 issues in, but I really am loving it. Fantastic, fantastic stuff.

It would just be 'pretty good', but it's the first thing I've read in a long, long time that's written so well that it actually made me completely question my own beliefs.

It's also made me think a lot more of Ennis as a writer.

My only REAL criticism is that he's taken the 'evil gay' characters to a level that makes Mills look balanced!!

A mix of all sorts of stuff, but all of it (so far) fantastic.

Endjinn

"My only REAL criticism is that he's taken the 'evil gay' characters to a level that makes Mills look balanced!!"

It's not even near the same! Starr is justa f*cked-up hombre from the first panel he shows up.

Preacher ending...didn't bother me in the slightest. A mighty end to a mighty comic.

Woolly

Re: preacher ending

Thought it was pretty much spot on, myself. It was essentially a western, after all.

But i did think Cassidy's sacrifice would have meant more if he stayed dead. Would have made more sense too.

Bico

It was good fun, then it ended.
Definately worth a read.

Dan Kelly

2 of those been finished early

WildCATS just had the last issue (24 - think he had up to 40 planned)

Stormwatch Achilles - pulled before the last episode could be written - at least the one they wanted to finish on...

Think Sleepers' bound for the can as well...

Dan

Mr D

Ok, there's two evil detectives/rent boys, Jesus De Sade (who is, admittadly, totally fucked up), Starr.... The list goes on...

thrillpowerseeker

Dont see the point your trying to make at all Dribbles..Ennis has done far more 'Evil Straight' characters than he has gay ones..so some of his evil characters are gay?..so what?..no-one is under any obligation to portray Gays as all round good eggs than they are straights..this is the world of comics where anything can and usually does happen not an episode of East fucking enders written by by the usual ragtag bunch of bearded liberals..Funny how no-one has ever spoke out because Ennis,Mills,Rennie or Millar show most of the evil characters as Hetro-sexuals..my God I've just realised that Comics are vehicles for rampant Hetrophobia...aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh

: 0

Mr D

Fer frigg's sakes....

All I was saying was that having maybe five major gay villains in (so far) 16 issues is a bit strange!! I've read enough Ennis to know that he doesn't do this all the time and I wondered if it was significant at all!!

It's supposed to be bibically frowned upon, I wondered if there was a clumsy point being made. If not, it seems a trifle unnecessary to highlight their sexuality.

Though his frequent fixation with people's sexuality can spoil things. I draw your attention to The Ultimates.

'Hulk STRAIGHT!'

thrillpowerseeker

Yeah that line was a cracker..like ANYONE would try it on the Hulk

Mr C

Millar wrote that. Ennis has nothing to do with ultimate commercial rip-off.

If you like preahcer, then read his Punisher stuff.

Endjinn

Freddie And Bob weren't really evil....if you keep reading you'll see they're not bad lads really.

Well, okay, they're involved in a load of hard drugs dealing, but you'll see what I mean when you get to it.

Paulie...not really a bad guy. I read it as a piss-take of all hard-ass cops in films and that.

You've still got Odin Quincannon to come...truly deviant evil if ever there was some. And Jody, Grandma and God are far more twisted than the rest of the feckers.

There is much envy on my part...you get to read it for the first time.

Mr D

Millar it was. Where did I get Ennis from?!? Oh well, my qualms are gone. It's still a fething awful line. Along with all the 'Come to HULK, Betty, HULK horny for Betty'

I'm loving reading it for the first time too! He he he. Having only really read Judgement Day as a 'big' Ennis story before, I'm very shocked at how good this is!

Some of the characters are GENIUS!! Jessie's entire family.... When the 'explanation' episode appeared, it was stellar! I'm gonna have a sit down and rattle through another 15 or so tonight. I know I should be savouring it.... but I can't!!

Thanks Mr C. I think Floyd was talking about this a while ago.... I'll check it out when I can afford to (not likely to be any year soon......)

Quirkafleeg

Dribbles... have you got all the specials? as well as they really add to the characters... esp The Arseface origin story

Mr D

Yeah. Like I said, a full set! Really, really good stuff.

Just found this as well. I funting HATE James MArsden, but if he can pull off a grittier role (primarily seen him as a pretty boy) then it might work. Depends on other casting too I guess. And director. It claims to be out this year, but I guarantee it won't be as it isn't even in production!!

Johnny Depp seems to be a fan fave, but nobody knows if he'd be Jesse or Cassidy. I'll watch this, but I seriously doubt it'll equal the comic.

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326004/" target="_blank">Adaptions and stuff

JamieB

The specials are all in the ANCIENT HISTORY trade (book 4 of the complete series), IIRC.

J-Bo-1