Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Actually there were 5 SF characters in Chun-Li. Chris Klein's character was Guile's best pal that got murderised by Bison.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Van Dom

Haven't even heard of this Streetfighter, Chun Li movie but based on the two reviews here I think I'll stick with the Van Damme one. Which, by the by, is also extraordinarly bad but somewhat chucklesome. And Raul Julia rocks it as Bison.(Also, you can't go too far wrong with a little bit of Kylie).
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Van Dom on 19 March, 2012, 11:36:44 AM
I liked Hobo... too,felt like it came straight out of the 80's what with all the neon and the Mad Max-style punks and everything. Hauer played it brilliantly. I think I preferred this to Machete.

Ohh. That does sound good. Adding it to the ol' wishlist as we speak :)

Tiplodocus

I like the Van Damme Streetfighter.

Kristin Kreuk was lovely (if a little whiney) as Lana Lang in Smallville. And despite the fact that everyone in taht programme turns into a kick ass ninja at some point, I can't see her doing martial arts. I did think she had a slight bit of exotic dna in her though. (sadly, not mine)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 20 March, 2012, 04:04:19 PM
Actually there were 5 SF characters in Chun-Li. Chris Klein's character was Guile's best pal that got murderised by Bison.
Good to know. I am unfamiliar with any fighter who appeared after SFII. I don't actually remember him fighting anyone, although I think he shot a few guys.

In other news I have just discovered there was a live action Mortal Kombat series which I now feel compelled to watch at least a few episodes of as part of this absurd exercise.
We never really die.

HdE

I remember that series! It was part of Channel 4's unmissable line-up of cheesy, crap-tastic zero-cred TV shows, way back when. Was actually good fun, but I HATED the ending.

I confess - I used to stay up for 'Bits' - not coz I had any interest in video games, but Emily Booth... rowr!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: The Cosh on 20 March, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
In other news I have just discovered there was a live action Mortal Kombat series which I now feel compelled to watch at least a few episodes of as part of this absurd exercise.

Let us know how that goes. I recently found the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live action tv series on netflix and watched in the horror (yes, every episode).

Just watched Battle for the Planet of the Apes. I love the old Apes films - I imagine something similar to Battle will be the third reboot Apes film (Conquest being next).

Professor Bear

The Mortal Kombat series is pretty awful, and then ends on a cliffhanger.  It does have an awesome Quan Chi, though.

American Werewolf In Paris.  I wanted to enjoy this, and it does have the advantage of being derived from such an untouchable classic that it doesn't have to do that much to be entertaining because no-one could sensibly expect it to be better, or even as good as American Werewolf In London so the pressure is pretty much off - as least as far as I'm concerned - and to be fair it does do the important stuff right (the transformations, the setting), but the bad and the mis-steps outweigh anything in its favor.  The problem is that quite early it establishes that the emphasis is on whacky gross-out humor and unreliable internal logic, with echstreem Eyeful Tower bungee jump rescues, "whoa, dude, I am totally sniffing this chick's butt" scenes, comedy arguing zombie sexual tension and cgi slapstick taking up too much screen time and not enough of it devoted to werewolf rampages.  There's some stuff that's pretty good, like the bit with the werewolf's eyes in the sewer, the feaky-ass legless wolfman in Julie Delphy's basement, the start of her transformation - but I am pretty much convinced based on everything else that these happened by accident rather than design, or at best they are an example of throwing enough shit at a wall.
No doubt there are media students who can explain to me that I'm watching it wrong or something, but I found it too dumb to be enjoyable, and didn't manage the right balance of horror and comedy.  Abott and Costello proved over five decades earlier that you can do good slapstick and comedy werewolf movies that lean more towards slapstick if you want to. This doesn't.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: HdE on 21 March, 2012, 01:16:49 AM
I remember that series! It was part of Channel 4's unmissable line-up of cheesy, crap-tastic zero-cred TV shows, way back when. Was actually good fun, but I HATED the ending.

I confess - I used to stay up for 'Bits' - not coz I had any interest in video games, but Emily Booth... rowr!

Now there's a defence that would stand up in any court of law  :)

Just watched Last House of The Left, the recent re-make version, and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the tremendously unpleasant bit at the end. Not seen the original version, though - anyone know if it's worth seeing, if there were many changes made?

Mudcrab

Fast Five
Started watching before I realised it was a Fast & the Furious sequel, which was of course obvious in not very far hindsight. As big dumb action films go it was great, bit of bank job type thing about it which is always good and of course loads of mental car chases/crashes, while trying to outdo the Blues Brothers for cop cars smashed up. It didn't, but then what could?  :D

Most cheesetastic non-sensical line from Vin - "You ain't in America no more. This is BRAZIL!!!" Ummm...

As Fast & Furious films go it was pretty good too really. Extra laughs from Dwayne thingy (The Rock) being in it too. Oh, and the guy that was Bucho in Desperado as the bad guy  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Hoagy

TinTin and the Golden Unicorn.

On finally getting round to see it, the conclusion is that there is naught wrong with it on the the developing storyline and general humour. Beautifully made and stunning sets and art. My shit tv speakers didn't allow the actors to breath life into the characters much. But nor were there any chance for the wet humour to dry out. Pour example; The closing in on Snowy after a particularly heroic doggy do in Bagghar didn't hold it long enough on the close up. Excitement must be built up and the storyline followed that rule of thumb all the way, although the linking between acts failed to give smooth enough fluctuation. The Thomson twins were very rushed through too.

John Williams score was fantastically written but a little too grandiose in some areas. Nevertheless (<great word), As the credits rolled, the music may have impressed Mozart himself with its vibrancy. Or Brahms in Dmajor. And it will get a second viewing with the sound system plugged in this time.

Tower Heist- What's wrong with it? It's not bad. Except it starts out wild and ends a bit too neatly.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

judgefloyd

Almost finished 'Yakuza Weapon' a deliberately cheapo silly movie about an unstoppable Yakuza who has a machine gun grafted onto his arm.  Worth it for his girlfriend who throws boats when annoyed. 

Roger Godpleton

The Hunger Games - Really enjoyed this one, doesn't treat the yoof like a bunch of dumbasses at all. Their is a bunch of shipping blather, but the plot does slightly subvert the whole process and encourages you to think about in terms beyond "OMG peeta is totes hot!!!!!!!! <3<3<3." The "grown-up" cast is full of reliable hands (always nice to see Paula Malcolmson getting work) but the kids are a bit ropey, and J-Law runs rings around the rest of them. The girl's a star.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Hoagy

Shaolin Soccer- Impenetrably funny.  Everything about it shone.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SmallBlueThing

Orphan.

Oh dear grud. I really cant say anything nice about this, even that its heart and intentions were in the right place, because its a cynical little horror/ thriller hybrid that fails to be in any way scary or at all suspenseful. Id imagine the same type of people who responded to 'the hand that rocks the cradle' and 'sleeping with the enemy' first time round will find it 'terrifying' and go on about the 'twist'- which is incidentally so bloody obvious from the off that i stopped the disc fifteen minutes in, wrote it on a bit of paper, put it in my pocket and produced it at the end to impress my wife. Her response? 'well, duh'.

It goes through the motions at the end and moves to an climax so foreshadowed as to elicit only laughs. In short, just a dreadful, inexcusable film and im tempted to give away the twist here and now, because it doesnt deserve even the sniff of respectability or interest that such a thing seems to generate. But i wont- although you can guess it from the poster.

SBT