Main Menu

PROG 1537 -SHARK ATTACK!

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 May, 2007, 09:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The colouring on Detonator X (the first 2 pages especially) and Sinister Dexter was really well done.

JOE SOAP

If Simon Coleby had been drawing Sinister Dexter since the start, I would have paid more attention.

JamesC

I think Coleby's work really benefits from colour.
As much as I like his black and white work I find that the characters sometimes merge into the background. A good example is the first panel of the last page of this prog's story - if that panel was in black/white/greytones it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Banners

Re: Bob Byrne.

If the Schoolmistress knew the cheating student had a paperclip containing little robotic scribes - such that she prepared staples containing little robotic assailants - why not just confiscate the paperclip?

M@

Satanist

I really didnt think much of this prog.

Oh well theres always next week.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Matt Timson

Usually a fan of Garbett's work- but I thought that cover was a bit rubbish, to be honest.  Dante and SinDex were the best thing in the prog for me this week.

Quite like the Bob Byrne stuff- mainly because you have to pay proper attention to it.
Pffft...

Tiplodocus

Enjoyed the prog but not in a "That's brilliant!" kind of way.

Every strip had good points but also little things that niggled me.

As has been pointed out, the Twisted Tale had fun ideas but they don't stand up to much scrutiny.

Dante was an interesting tale ruined, for me, by the cop out of giving the bloke cancer. Surely a braver tale would have had Dante killing a perfectly healthy bloke.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

petemaskreplica

I wouldn't say giving the bloke cancer was a copout. Surely it's that that makes him take the stand that he does, feeling that there's nothing to lose, whereas, as Dante points out to him, there's a whole lot of pain that can be inflicted on him even in the short time he has to live.

Anyway, Dante was easily the best thing this week, everything else being okay to middling (I like the Bob Byrne strips, but this one lacked quite the headfuckery of last week's). Although kudos to Dredd for giving me the second opportunity in a week to use the word "metatextuality". What are the chances of that, eh?

Dudley

Cover - meh.  Yet to be grabbed by any of Garbett's work. 4/10

Dredd - slightly tired name (Amis Barnes? 1980's-tastic!) forgiven since the tale itself worked very well.  Props to Mr Cook for getting his band in there. 7/10

Byrne - Felt much fresher than last week's and, as someone else said, really earned its place in the prog. 8/10

Detonator X - After 3 episodes, I can't name any characters, nor do I care very much for the ones I remember.  Big Robot vs Dinosaur is always good, but it's yet to get beyond that stage. 5/10

Sin/Dex - Despite other people's grumbles, I'm continuing to enjoy this arc (and remember that it's still a prelude to the MAIN EVENT).  The colourist does a fine job on Coleby's art. 7/10

Dante - Just top notch in every way.  Proves that the five year sag wasn't Burns' fault.  10/10.