Main Menu

"Killing In the Name" for Xmas #1??

Started by Emperor, 11 December, 2009, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Seems there is a campaign to get RATM's "Killing In the Name" to #1 for Xmas:

QuoteThe song is the focus of a campaign to beat the X Factor talent show winner to the UK Christmas number 1 single, an almost inevitable outcome based on previous year's releases. The song, from Rage Against The Machine's debut album, was seemingly chosen as it builds to a furious chant of "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me".

The campaign to bag 'Killing In The Name Of' the UK Christmas number 1 single slot is gaining momentum with nearly 600,000 fans joining the Facebook page with the intention of all buying the song on December 13th to outsell the X Factor winner.

www.clashmusic.com/feature/rage-against-the-machine-killing-in-the-name-of

It seems to have annoyed Simon Cowell and that is enough for me:
www.clashmusic.com/news/simon-cowell-vs-rage-against-the-machine

Of course, the irony of him calling this campaign "stupid" and "cynical" would only make this sweeter. I'd do this even if I wasn't a fan (and I am - I saw them live in 1993).

The Facebook group is here:
www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=2228594104&ref=mf
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

I joined a few days ago ... 79p to buy the song from iTunes on 13th December. If half a million people do it (Alexandra Whatserface sold 560,000 last year to bag the Christmas No1) then our jolly Christmas No1 will be Rage Against the Machine. Just in case you've managed to miss it, or have been living in a cave for a couple of decades, it's this one.

This is an honourable tradition begun by Iron Maiden, who were touring one year in Nov/Dec and exhorted fans to all go out and buy their single on the same day ... thus knocking Cliff Richard's "Saviour's Day" off the No1 slot. (Arf!)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mikey

Aw go on then! I'll have one for a good cause - it's Christmas!

It'll certainly wake the old and turkey dazed come xmas Top of The Pops. I too seen them in '93 - possibly the most aggressively tense crowd I've ever been in, but they were fantastic.

Just last week I was saying to Mrs Mikey how it's shite that it's essentially the same fucken song every xmas because of X Factor. It really is bollocks that fucken smug bunch of cunts raking it in every year. Bastards!

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

uncle fester

Richmond Clements

Professor Bear

I uninstalled iTunes and Realplayer years ago, but seeing as it's Christmas...

James Stacey

I wasnt planning on joining up to this until I read Cowells response. What a bell end. I shall be buying it come monday.

Mike Gloady

79p to get MUSICIANS that prestigious spot rather than fame-hungry, talent-poor, lazy get-rich-quick morons sounds like a bargain.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

So going by simon Cowells comment there isnt a free market regarding chart music especially at Xmas ?

So for that i am going to buy this single and besides Simon Cowell is a dickhead and like everyone else here i am sick and tired off anything to do with X-Factor.

Fuck Off Simon Cowell.Stupid Hypocrite.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Al_Ewing

I just contributed to Shelter directly instead. I don't agree with the basic ideology behind the whole thing - why RATM? If we want Christmas No. 1's back, why not Slade? Is it because Slade are 'pop' and RATM are 'important'? X-Factor's just as 'real' a piece of music, and just as relevant to the Xmas period, as anything by RATM - it's just marketed differently by the Industry, aimed at a different demographic. What this seems to be saying is that the people who buy X-Factor singles because they like them and want them at the top of the charts - and those people do exist - should somehow matter less than the people who buy RATM singles (which presumably they already own) because they like them and want them at the top of the charts. That feels a bit too much like cultural snobbery for my liking, a self-proclaimed musical 'elite' actively looking down their noses rather than just liking what they like and letting the whole human comedy tumble along as it always has.

Still, I wouldn't have thought to make that donation if not for this, and they are netting a fair amount for Shelter, so good on them for thinking it up, even if I don't agree.

(Side note - are Rage Against The Machine raging at the machine out of Florence And The Machine? Should Florence stick her oar into this?)
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Noisybast

I was already planning to buy this (again) on Monday, but after reading that article, I'm doubly determined. 79p to help topple that tit-end? Bargain.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Mike Gloady

I really don't want to know what Flo is DOING with that machine.  Best to keep these things mysterious.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Al_Ewing on 11 December, 2009, 04:54:49 PM
I don't agree with the basic ideology behind the whole thing

What? Annoying Simon Cowell?

It's pretty easy to get a Christmas No 1 if ITV pay you to broadcast a massive commercial for your artist, which is basically what happens with X Factor. I have no agenda or axe to grind beyond the idea that it's a petty little act of rebellion that will annoy Cowell.

Why RATM? Why not? I like the fact that it's about as Christmassy as Maiden's "Bring Your Daughter". Personally, I'd have preferred the campaign to have been to make Rammstein's 'Pussy' No1, but "Killing in the Name" is fairly inappropriate, and I'm happy with that.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I wish we could have some proper Christmas songs again.
I think the last good one was 'Last Christmas' or that Mariah Carey one.
I think that people don't see Christmas songs as cool, but I say fuck 'em, David Bowie did a Christmas record!

Trout

I'm not keen on bandwagons or whatnot but I'm up for this.

Fuck you, Simon Cowell.  :)

- Trout