Main Menu

Strontium Dog Fan Film

Started by Steve Green, 19 September, 2014, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Saw the props this weekend and have to say they look bloomin' great.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Spikes on 10 November, 2014, 07:05:12 PM
I'm probably the only one here - and so will be roundly set upon now, but I never liked Alpha's choice of headgear.

Not one bit. Sorry.

I must say, I always prefered Johnny's more casual, jacket with no helmet look to his fully armoured costume.

So, no, you're not the only one.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

COMMANDO FORCES

At the end of the weekend I asked Dan and the team if it was possible to have a pic or two of Sam wearing the helmet and they said it was okay and as you can see it does look bloody good in the real world.

Colin YNWA

But then his 'head gear' is still important - does the actor set up for Johnny have his lustrous locks!

Having had a chat with Steve Minty this weekend I have to say everything I hear about this project excites me. Can't wait to see how things develop but suspect we're in for a treat of Minty size proportions (if shorter!)

Steve Green

He's not going to be wearing it in every shot - he's not Dredd (thankfully), so it's only when he's in action that he would have it.

My favourite pic of him is the Mayjer Minor one with more of a jacket with a thick collar, and carrying the helmet.

It's one of those things - that, it's a pain in the arse to get right and it still may not be entirely successful, but it would be a cop-out if it wasn't in there at all.

It can also function as part of the plot with the camera etc.

Steve Green

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 November, 2014, 08:39:45 AM
But then his 'head gear' is still important - does the actor set up for Johnny have his lustrous locks!

Having had a chat with Steve Minty this weekend I have to say everything I hear about this project excites me. Can't wait to see how things develop but suspect we're in for a treat of Minty size proportions (if shorter!)

He's got very thick hair, but it's not curly - his style is more later Johnny where it's shorter at the back and longer on top.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 November, 2014, 11:42:08 PM

That's fantastic!

It's interesting to see where the upward 'prongs' sit on the dummy vs Sam.  They look right on the dummy but too high on Sam.  (Hopefully this does not mean an end to Sam's movie career!)

What's the grey prototype(?) item above the SD and Judge badges?

Does prototyping for the Stront short mean the GI helmet has gone on the backburner?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Steven Sterlacchini

The other prototype blaster, is from 'Mars Attacks', another license that Planet Replicas hold.

Steve Green

The helmet's sitting too high on Sam.

Basically the 3D print needs a little more space inside (although when it's cast the outside is cast only, so it doesn't matter production wise)

Here's a picture of Boo Cook wearing the helmet, I've shifted it down about half an inch.

Dan has shown a CG model of the GI Helmet on the PR fb page, but I don't know if anything like that is scheduled. You'd need to ask him.

The difference now is that PR has access to a 3D printer, which means that it saves time in development and revising versions of props.

It's not a miracle fix-all, prints can still go wrong and need cleaning up, but certainly helps having one as you can leave it running and work on something else.

Steve Green

I also think it's a little because the photo of Sam is from a lower angle,

now some might say that's because he's taller than Commando Forces, but not me...

Beeks

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 November, 2014, 11:42:08 PM

See here's my problem

The front just seems to stick out to far for me

It just doesn't look practical...like something someone would wear in the real world

I reckon that forehead bit should be considerably reduced

Would be nice if it had the 'weathered' look too...like the new Dredd

As a Stront...It's a fair shout that Alpha has been in a few scrapes wearing his bin lid...should be battle worn accordingly
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Richmond Clements

QuoteIt just doesn't look practical...like something someone would wear in the real world

Well, it *is* unrealistic, but then so is the Judge's helmet, IMO. I've seen it in the flesh, so I can assure you it doesn't stick out too far at the front.

Steve Green

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the bust it's sitting on - it's pretty small.

It would be sitting further back than that.

I'd consider this Microsoft Halo series fairly real world, and their helmets are pretty similar.

It will definitely be battered around, the green areas will be dimpled and rough, the yellow areas I'm think will have some kind of carbon fibre base that's scratched and dinged.

Since we haven't put it on the actor yet, we hold back on fine details until we are satisfied with the scale.

Then all the detail is put in, the sculpt cast, and then the resulting real helmet is painted in layers, weathered etc.

Beeks

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 November, 2014, 12:27:19 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the bust it's sitting on - it's pretty small.

It would be sitting further back than that.

I'd consider this Microsoft Halo series fairly real world, and their helmets are pretty similar.

It will definitely be battered around, the green areas will be dimpled and rough, the yellow areas I'm think will have some kind of carbon fibre base that's scratched and dinged.

Since we haven't put it on the actor yet, we hold back on fine details until we are satisfied with the scale.

Then all the detail is put in, the sculpt cast, and then the resulting real helmet is painted in layers, weathered etc.

Yeah those Halo helmets are just the ticket

I'm very excited about this project...Unlike most on here, Strontium Dog is my fave strip...even ahead of Dredd himself...it's nice to know it's in good hands...Love the Westinghouse BTW :D
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

In terms of 'real world' practicality, bear in mind that the 'nose' houses and protects the late 22nd Century equivalent of the Go-Pro, complete with removable evidence slug.