Main Menu

Strontium Dog Fan Film

Started by Steve Green, 19 September, 2014, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 May, 2017, 10:27:55 AM
Thanks - as with Minty, we were stretched pretty thin doing stuff on such a tiny budget (and small crew).

With hindsight, sure we would have done some stuff differently, but you just have to work around what you have at the time.

Thanks for putting the time, effort and money in to it - it's appreciated.

Thanks also for putting on the subtitles!

Steve Green

No problem,

Once I'd done them for Minty it was pretty easy - just gets a bit tricky when dialogue overlaps.

Might make it easier if anyone wants to do a foreign language translation as well.

Bolt-01

Yeah, that's the business. Really enjoyable no matter how many time I watch that.

Really like the latest tweaks.

Thanks Steve's

Steve Green

sheridan

This thread neck-and-neck with the Judge Dredd: Mega-City One thread - my two go-to threads at the moment!

SuperSurfer

Amazing. Spot on.

This brilliantly demonstrates the potential for doing great stuff with any future SD film/tv adaptations, which I am sure we would all love to see. And talk about setting the bar high.

You can have your life back now, Steve.

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 May, 2017, 01:07:12 PMAmazing. Spot on.

This brilliantly demonstrates the potential for doing great stuff with any future SD film/tv adaptations, which I am sure we would all love to see. And talk about setting the bar high.

And remember, the producers can point to Judge Minty's 655,372 views in four years, and Search/Destory's 7,241 views in half a day to help convince potential investors.

QuoteYou can have your life back now, Steve.

Don't tell the Steves that - we want our Nemesis the Warlock/Rogue Trooper/Slaine fan films and we want them now (or in two years time).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 24 May, 2017, 01:19:05 PM
Don't tell the Steves that - we want our Nemesis the Warlock/Rogue Trooper/Slaine* fan films and we want them now (or in two or three years time).[/quote
*delete as applicable.

Dash Decent

The bored-on-the-long-spaceflight scenes were excellent.  I watched that section thinking, "The actors are never going to look 100% spot-on for the characters but they both capture them so well" - then I saw a particular shot of helmetless Johnny leaning up against a wall before Wulf helps him up.  Unbelievable. It was Johnny Alpha.

I was fooled by the shoot-out at the start.  I thought the human who won was actually a mutant with a third arm around the back.

Edward Dehn was great and completely unMinty-like.  With a bald headed wig and an opaque contact over one eye, he's going to make the perfect Traitor General when you do the last of the trilogy*.

* Okay, I know it's not true but someone was bound to say "When are you going to..." at some point.  Now it's out of the way.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 May, 2017, 01:07:12 PM
This brilliantly demonstrates the potential for doing great stuff with any future SD film/tv adaptations,

Exactly this.  Without wanting to sound cynical or disparaging, I've always thought that was why John Wagner suggested it when he heard the two Steves were considering a Rogue Trooper short.  "Why not do Strontium Dog instead?"
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Steve Green

One original idea was that the gang were going to be faux mutants, basically pretending to be Stronts to give the agency a bad rep (killing bystanders etc)

It was pointed out it might be too confusing, especially with Johnny looking almost normal, but the robot arms guy is a bit of a holdover from that.

I think originally there wasn't so much of a fight, it was basically beam polariser and they're wiped out quickly and onto the shootout.

The views thing is interesting - I think Minty did 30K overnight, but it was coming out after Dredd, so hit a sweet spot really.

Stront is much more niche, and depends how much news sites pick it up.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 24 May, 2017, 01:20:19 PM
Edward Dehn was great and completely unMinty-like.

Sorry, I meant to type Edmund.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

norton canes

Wow. Just wow. Phenomenal.

Gets the balance exactly right between the fantastic style of Ezquerra's art and the need to make the costumes and props look functional. Performances nailed without exception. Effects absolutely jaw-dropping, both technically and aesthetically. A wonderful plot and script. Humour, violence, drama... all there in abundance. Most of all though, it just IS Strontium Dog.

Massive congratulations to everyone involved.

Dan Dare

Amazing! Watched it 4 times so far.

I thought the bad guy at the start was Big Dunky with the extra arms Willy Blanko had given him. And the attention to detail was stunning. Loved the shot of Kid Knee. The Chukwalla was cool! Acting, visuals, storyline - all absolutely spot on!

Well done.

Steve Green

Yeah it was a bit of a nod to Duncan Pizer and Stix with the hat, we pretty much went on a cherry picking mission.

The aim was to just have something that barreled along and gave a bit of an intro to Strontium Dog.

Originally it was going to be shorter, much more of a montage like the cost of bounty-hunting - that survived in Wulf moaning about the time bomb.

I think the hardest thing we found was Johnny being a bit too powerful - there are some setbacks, but there wasn't really the space to introduce everything and take them away.

I'm pretty happy with the interrogation scene, it feels like that's where you make the fewest compromises because of the lack of budget.

Could really have done with extra crew to act as runners, there are a few occasions where people offered to help but had to drop out because of schedules - it made us a bit wary of relying on people though.