Main Menu

Rebellion involved in possible Hawk the Slayer sequel

Started by GordonR, 03 July, 2015, 09:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

That bit with the gimp going mental trying to murder those two gophers was fucking terrifying when I was a kid.

GordonR

The weird thing about The Beastmaster is that the plot doesn't even bat an eyelid at the revelation (if you follow the slightly tortuous story logic) that the Beastmaster and his love interest appear to be first cousins.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: GordonR on 29 July, 2015, 01:54:19 PM
The weird thing about The Beastmaster is that the plot doesn't even bat an eyelid at the revelation (if you follow the slightly tortuous story logic) that the Beastmaster and his love interest appear to be first cousins.

I don't know...if 1982 Tanya Roberts was my first cousin, I might not bat an eyelid at the revelation that she was my first cousin.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Mardroid on 29 July, 2015, 08:34:13 AM
I've seen Beastmaster around three times as a youngster. I haven't seen it for years. I liked.that a lot.

I remember it had some strange creatures in it. Strange robed (or was it winged) bird skull headed things [spoiler]that drop from the sky enfold a man and leave just bones..[/spoiler]

I thought that part of the film was cool,[spoiler] where you saw suddenly appear then perspective alters their as they appear rise up in air and vanish or something  the hero's watch them from below.[/spoiler] Dunno really, I might need to watch it again on You-Tube to clarify!

Here's what the Wikipedia has to say out them.....

[spoiler]Eventually, Dar meets a redheaded slave girl called Kiri (Tanya Roberts) before getting himself lost and ending up surrounded by an eerie half-bird, half-human race who dissolve their prey for nourishment. As the bird men worship eagles, they spare Dar when he summons Sharak and give him an amulet should he need their aid.[/spoiler]

And here is the first episode that ill-fated series....

Beast-Master - The Series One - Episode One

In fact, I think the guy playing the character lead, Dar (Daniel Goddard) is ripped in such way that his musculature resembles the Kincaid/Bellardinelli/MacMahon/Fabry - Slaine (And not a condom filled with walnuts!) almost exactly and if you wanted Slaine to be the same age as me. He should be the one.

His face is most like MacMahon's version of the warped-one. The way it's chiselled and he's got darker hair these days and he's a Aussie.....

Other celebs of note in this were....

Steve Grives is who was born in Britain, but I think from what I have seen of his work he seems to be more antipodean and nearly always a bad guy. His tough guy persona give him underworld appeal about him and from his photo alone he might be excellent Grudnew the Fat.....

Graham Bond well known for the character I just linked his name with and I didn't think he made good use of his talent in Beast-Master. He was Ancient-One who had some sort weird thing going on with his head and was hard to take seriously.

I think this all depends on his own approach, but maybe I'm wrong and just imagining that and need a refresher by watching the above episode.

Marc Singer

Who was the original Dar and Mike Donavan from that V series. His appearance right at the end of the remake of this series (Which I didn't like much!) might have improved it if it didn't end then and there.

Quote from: Gordon RennieThe weird thing about The Beastmaster is that the plot doesn't even bat an eyelid at the revelation (if you follow the slightly tortuous story logic) that the Beastmaster and his love interest appear to be first cousins.

One of the angels and not musical ones.

Hmmm, incest. I would only tolerate it if both are attractive and close to the same age and possess the same level maturity. (One can't be old and other young and unwilling!)

locustsofdeath!

Well, I for one was waiting for this to turn into a discussion about Slaine. Thank you, Mayor, for never disappointing.

Professor Bear

If we pull together, we can still make this a Manimal thread.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 July, 2015, 02:44:08 AM
Don't forget,  Walt Disney's - Dragon-Slayer

Dragon-Heart

Just before those type of film began to get silly!

Then there are more classics cast from the same mould as Conan....

Death-Stalker

Not sure how many of these were made, but it's only the first and second that were seeing.

Beast-Master

Not sure how many of these were made, but it's only the first and second that were WORTH seeing.

Fixed!!!!!

ThryllSeekyr

James Stacey

Ive not seen it for years but Deathstalker 2 is an awesome film. It never takes itself seriously which is what lifts it above the others which are quite frankly a bit shit. Deathstalker 2 is a bit shit too mind in a wonderful sub liveroleplay budget kind of way. John LaZar's scenery chewing is legendary.

sheridan

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 July, 2015, 10:43:30 PM
If we pull together, we can still make this a Manimal thread.
Where did that come from?  It's just in the hour and a bit I had between getting home from work and going to bed last night I watched the first episode of Manimal - almost certainly for the first time since it was originally aired in this country.  They like the wildcat screech sound-effect!

Professor Bear

I liked how instead of being a mutant or an alien he just "learned" how to shapeshift from some dudes in the jungle, and also that he was an English lord but fought in Vietnam, and that time he taught himself Karate by watching stock footage of animals.

While no-one probably wants to watch a remake of Manimal - fuckin wierdos - there's probably some minor PR capital in doing a pilot, so they should do a bunch of pilot episodes for cult shows that have been relentlessly repeated over the years - stuff like Manimal, McGuyver, Street Hawk, Automan, etc - and then do a big team-up tv movie somewhere down the line.  It could be like Penny Dreadful only with characters people had heard of.

Hawkmumbler

Oh man, Manimal. Now I want to watch that classic slice of cheese again (Nightman episode and all!).

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: James Stacey on 31 July, 2015, 11:28:49 AM
Ive not seen it for years but Deathstalker 2 is an awesome film. It never takes itself seriously which is what lifts it above the others which are quite frankly a bit shit. Deathstalker 2 is a bit shit too mind in a wonderful sub liveroleplay budget kind of way. John LaZar's scenery chewing is legendary.

I've always liked the first film considering the tech level of special effects....watching some dude being magically transformed into a woman and then he gets all curious with himself afterwards. Which has wondering how long have truly transgendered ever been around?

So, I disagree, and the second film is embarrassing to the first

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear

I liked how instead of being a mutant or an alien he just "learned" how to shapeshift from some dudes in the jungle, and also that he was an English lord but fought in Vietnam, and that time he taught himself Karate by watching stock footage of animals.

However awesome that sounds, I thought this was kind of dumb, even after vague recollections of watching the series when I was much younger.

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear
While no-one probably wants to watch a remake of Manimal - fuckin wierdos - there's probably some minor PR capital in doing a pilot, so they should do a bunch of pilot episodes for cult shows that have been relentlessly repeated over the years - stuff like Manimal, McGuyver, Street Hawk, Automan, etc - and then do a big team-up tv movie somewhere down the line.  It could be like Penny Dreadful only with characters people had heard of.

Would A-Team, Air-Wolf, Knight-Rider, Greatest-American-Hero fit in there and if we remove the ones that couldn't be possible in the real world, as far as I know of it. Mongoose-Publishing or some of the boarders on their forums were talking of a game where all those shows collide.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I assume they'll be going for a 12 A certificate rather than gore splat mayhem so a Hobbity LOTR vibe rather than spaghetti western. Well which actor/actress has the gravitas to play Hawk or Voltan? Some of the Merlin/Game of Thrones actors would fit the bill and they have got experience in the Fantasy genre.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

ThryllSeekyr

I'm not sure if I ever saw the third Beast-Master film, but the Eye of Braxus sounds like another name for the first film and it might be. I just haven't checked and the name also refers to the ring containing a eye. I' m not sure if this artefact was used by the villain or the hero considering he could see through the eyes of his animal companions.