Main Menu

New Judge Dredd Partwork! (Judge Dredd Mega Collection)

Started by iutley, 04 September, 2014, 09:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

It doesn't matter that I already own these stories in another format. I just like the idea of the Tooth having an increased presence in the newsagents above the Prog and Meg. You can hardly hide these things on the bottom shelf behind Sci-Fi Now and The Fortean Times. :D
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Pete Wells

I've subscribed but am wondering, are these in shops now?

I might pick up an extra copy of no 1 as it's only £2.99.

Anzati

Question for those of you who already have the first one: What is the extra content that the site mentions like? This may be the deciding factor on if I get these or not...does it have 'behind the scenes' type content or interviews with the creators etc.? Cheers :)

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I'm gonna need a good reason to go for these. New content might nudge me in the right direction,

Mike Carroll

Hmm... Could be worth a look, but the list of different countries from which one can subscribe is rather short...

Here's the list in its entirety:

UK

Not much use for those of us who don't live there! (And how will that affect subscribers from Scotland if they get independence, eh?)

Still, I'll probably pick up the first issue from the local newsagent and see whether it's worth continuing.

-- Mike

P.S.: That badge does look VERY like the Termight Replicas badge, and I should know! If they've used the same design, I'll be demanding a freebie at the very least!

Steve Green

I didn't see any in Wimbledon Smiths - but I didn't see any of that kind of thing (I was guessing it would be with all the comics stuff)

James Stacey

It doesn't seem to be on sale in the Diff yet but if the Marvel ones are anything to go by there will be 4 pages of content in each book either dealing with creators or story background, a page at the front bringing people up to speed and a page at the back for further reading

Steve Green

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 04 September, 2014, 04:14:43 PM
Hmm... Could be worth a look, but the list of different countries from which one can subscribe is rather short...

Here's the list in its entirety:

UK

Not much use for those of us who don't live there! (And how will that affect subscribers from Scotland if they get independence, eh?)

Still, I'll probably pick up the first issue from the local newsagent and see whether it's worth continuing.

-- Mike

P.S.: That badge does look VERY like the Termight Replicas badge, and I should know! If they've used the same design, I'll be demanding a freebie at the very least!

Maybe they think the UK is going to invade the rest of the world out of spite if the YES campaign wins.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

opaque

Needs more information though. One of the fairly obvious things is the spines. This is Judge Dredd The Mega Collection right? So why is Zenith, Nikoli Dante, Kingdom, Rogue Trooper, Button Man, Bad Company, Stickleback, Slaine etc on the picture of the collection?

I'm sure these would be nice but by throwing out stories out of order does kind of weaken it. No point putting in America until you've learnt about the world it is in, no Wounded Knee until you've seen the impact of decades of life on the streets of MC1 on Dredd etc etc.

Would be nice to know what they are actually going to be putting out there for this collection. What comes under '& others' or 'Robot Rampage'?
If it supposed to be for new fans not existing ones that makes the misordered stories even stranger. Maybe that's why theres been no official push yet?

Like with many of these people will buy the first few when they see them.  But I'm not convinced of the benefit after getting the free gifts up to the 4th edition which is why I will subscribe.

As a subscriber after your second delivery you will 'receive 2 issues packed together every 4 weeks at a price of £9.99 per issue.'. That really adds up. I guess this is a side effect of the increased demand for digital products and the reduction of the print. Doesn't matter if people buy these instead, people will still buy the digital copies of the original GN with all the stories in.

Colin YNWA

Bloomin' heck I've had a right old day at work and now this. I'd normally resist but the extra features might be interesting?... what to do, what to do...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 September, 2014, 04:43:52 PM
Bloomin' heck I've had a right old day at work and now this. I'd normally resist but the extra features might be interesting?... what to do, what to do...

Ask yourself, What would Cosh do?
DDT did a job on me

Bhuna

Crap! no bloody shelf space left. Do I box up my Marvel Figurine Collection which took about 5 years to finish for these?? I know which will be easier to dust!! 
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Frank

Quote from: opaque on 04 September, 2014, 04:41:58 PM
by throwing out stories out of order does kind of weaken it. No point putting in America until you've learnt about the world it is in, no Wounded Knee until you've seen the impact of decades of life on the streets of MC1 on Dredd etc etc.

Revolution (531–533) was one of the first Dredd stories I read. I enjoyed the story and the art on their own merits, and when I did eventually read Letter From A Democrat (460) it only added a little depth to what I already knew about the story, rather than filling in puzzling blanks.

If you know the random means by which Letter From A Democrat arrived on the page, it's impossible to argue that it was deliberately planting the seed of what was to come, and I don't think anyone loses anything when reading Day Of Chaos before having read The Apocalypse War, or that they lose anything when reading The Apocalypse War only after having read Day Of Chaos.

The Dredd strip isn't a preconceived story building towards a definite climax, it's a bunch of largely random stuff that only appears to take on a shape and a direction when viewed in retrospect. If you've been reading the strip from the start I'm sure having seen everything unfold in real time must be a kick, but everyone else is haphazardly patching new and old stuff together as they go. I'm not sure one experience is better than the other, or that the special effect of having read the strip from day one can be reproduced just by reading everything in order of original publication.

radiator

QuoteNo point putting in America until you've learnt about the world it is in

I disagree. America was one of the first Dredd stories I ever read and I loved it as much then as I do now. I clearly remember that full page Apocalypse War flashback, knowing nothing about it, and rather than being confused by the continuity I just remember thinking 'wow, that story looks cool, I'll have to check that out',

Personally I think the first America story works great as a standalone graphic novel, and is the one I recommend to friends who don't know anything about the character. Most casual observer's view of the comic is that it's all like Heavy Metal Dredd - a sort of jokey, one-note thing. America's great for overturning those expectations.

As for this series, it's not for me (I'm not at all keen on these partwork things and I own most of this material already), but 2000ad getting more shelf-space can only be a good thing. Nice to see more modern Dredd getting this treatment too as well as the usual suspects (Apocalypse War, Judge Death etc).