Main Menu

New 2000 AD creators blog

Started by AlexF, 23 March, 2015, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Really enjoyed that. I had forgotten his stuff from The Pit. I know there were many reasons - mainly time, but I found his early stuff truly terrible! So many frames lacking in any detail, only drawing the backs of heads. Hated the early Photoshop effects as well. He really did show an amazing upward path in quality. Most of his covers are brilliant.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Lorenzo on 25 July, 2019, 09:39:39 AM
Hated the early Photoshop effects as well. He really did show an amazing upward path in quality.

Not really fair to blame the shitty 90s digital colouring on Alex, though... mostly, that's Alan Craddock. Mostly.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 July, 2019, 10:14:31 AMNot really fair to blame the shitty 90s digital colouring on Alex, though... mostly, that's Alan Craddock. Mostly.
OK. I'll pass most of my hatred on to Alan Craddock then.  >:D

AlexF

Hey! The Heroes Blog is back!
I'm aiming to pwer through the last 20 or so heroes before this concept reaches its natural end. Since I've been quiet for more than a year, there are quite a few heroes who have racked up big counts who were missed out, so the running order has gone rather haywire.

Nonetheless, they are heroes all.
Here's Tiernen Trevallion:

and there'll be another one Friday, with two each week to follow for the next couple of months.

broodblik

Great I enjoyed the return of the Heroes. Tiernen just gets better with each outing.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 04 December, 2020, 09:19:15 AM
You know who else keeps getting better?
Hero number 133, Jake Lynch

https://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/2020/12/no-133-jake-lynch.html

Superb assessment of one of my new favourites too Jake Lynch. We've seen many grow in front of us on the page but few quite as quickly and comprehensively as Jack Lynch I'd suggest. He's kinda got it all. He's does dirty and gritty, he does weird and spooky (can't wait to see his Proteus Vex) he does strong and imposing covers so well - how anyone manages to do a Dredd pose cover and make it feel fresh and new is beyond me! Jake Lynch has done that so many times of late.

I worry he's getting put into - when we can't get Flint get Lynch - slot, but love they way you don't even mention Flint as a comparison until its unavoidable at the end. Something I've never been able to do as I've always seen so much Flint in his work. Yet always he's been so much his own artist as well.

broodblik

Jake Lynch for me is also one of those artist which has improved  immensely. When he started I just did not like his work (if I can recall that was Orlok) but he has grown on me and I am enjoying his Dredd quite a lot these days. So I am evening looking forward what he will be doing on Proteus Vex, filling those Flint shoes are no small feat.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Art

That's lovely. Should say that Class of '79 was a bit before my time on the small press scene - I was more in the FutureQuake/Zarjaz/Solar Wind scene.

BPP

Lunch's figure work is great - it clearly pushes all the right influences for the readers but... his constant failure to draw anything like a background in 90% of his work makes him one of my least favourite. World building is crucial to Dredd and his strips too often are reduced to interchangeable chase sequences.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Bolt-01

Quote from: Art on 04 December, 2020, 06:26:02 PM
That's lovely. Should say that Class of '79 was a bit before my time on the small press scene - I was more in the FutureQuake/Zarjaz/Solar Wind scene.

In all fairness - Art 'was' FutureQuake - without his work the comic would not exist.

AlexF

Colin YNWA

Meant to say this awhile ago but I'm a bit surprised by the company Tiernen Trevallion is keeping. By which I don't mean he's started hangin' out with those kids down the park again and drinking cheap cider, rather I always think of him as far more established than the other folks popping up with similar 'scores' to him. So with Rory McConville that's easily explained as a writer can build a body of work far faster than an artist. With Jake Lynch though I think of Tieran as established and Jake as recently having come through. Funny how that works.

Speaking of Rory McConville I love his Dredd. With him, Mike Carroll and Kenneth 'is he still a mystery' Neimand Dredd feels in good hands with fresh(ish*) talent. Just like Mike Carroll did with Proteus Vex I'd love to see what he'd do with his own series.

*I appreciate that Mike Carroll has been writing Dredd for quite a long time know, but for some reason I still pop him in my headspace list of bright young things?!?

Art

In all fairness - Art 'was' FutureQuake - without his work the comic would not exist.

very much it's own thing, but yeah I guess it existing in the first place was my fault. :-)

I think Zarjaz may have predated it a little?

But Class of '79 was before that and a motherlode of big names now, as well as the birthplace of Heston (Jake writing, Henry drawing, Logan doing edits).

AlexF

Quote from: Art on 07 December, 2020, 08:07:10 PM

very much it's own thing, but yeah I guess it existing in the first place was my fault. :-)

I think Zarjaz may have predated it a little?

But Class of '79 was before that and a motherlode of big names now, as well as the birthplace of Heston (Jake writing, Henry drawing, Logan doing edits).

Ah, thanks for clearing that up - I was a bit confused when I read that Jake Lynch WROTE the first Heston stories, but why can't one person be good at two things? I confess I was kinda hoping those super early Heston stories might get reprinted in the 'Krong Island' collection but there are probably lots of good reasons why that wouldn't quite be right.

Oh, and anyone whose first 2000AD credit was after Prog 1500 is legit a newbie in my eyes (making Mr Wyatt an old hand, by a whisker!) :P