Main Menu

A few questions from the Rhondda wastes...

Started by Tamping, 08 February, 2023, 08:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamping

Got back into 2000ad in the past year and i have a couple of questions!

If I have the hachette Strontium Dog books, the starlord years book and the other Strontium Dogs/Durham Red hachette books,  do I have everything Alpha? Are these all the SD published over the years or are some uncollected?

And are there any stories about Evans the Fist at all?!

Recently finished all case files of Dredd, but now I'm 20 years behind. Is it digital only from here on for me?!

Thanks all.

JohnW

There are others better able to answer your questions. I just want to welcome you to the board.
I notice that new registrations are running at one per day since the beginning of the month, which in my (albeit short) experience is an unprecedented rate.

Anyway—glad you don't sound too Russian or robotic.

Myself, I've been digital since I returned to the fold about a dozen years ago. I'd prefer physical copies, but then I'd also prefer a mansion big enough to house a library or two.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Richard

Wikipedia's article on Strontium Dog has a complete list of Jonny Alpha's stories. Evans the Fist never got a solo story I'm afraid.

There's a new Case File volume out in a couple of weeks. There are also plenty of graphic novels from the last 20 years.

Tamping

Quote from: Richard on 09 February, 2023, 01:00:00 AMWikipedia's article on Strontium Dog has a complete list of Jonny Alpha's stories. Evans the Fist never got a solo story I'm afraid.

There's a new Case File volume out in a couple of weeks. There are also plenty of graphic novels from the last 20 years.

I wasn't sure if the Wiki had everything, thank you.

Yes, excited for the next case files- have read Origins, Total war, a handful of the Hachette books so I'm not totally out of tune with Dredd post 2000, but I certainly could do with catching up!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tamping on 08 February, 2023, 08:44:47 PMIf I have the hachette Strontium Dog books, the starlord years book and the other Strontium Dogs/Durham Red hachette books,  do I have everything Alpha? Are these all the SD published over the years or are some uncollected?

And are there any stories about Evans the Fist at all?!

Assuming you have every Hachette Stront and Stront-adjacent book (do you have the Middenface McNulty volume that came out a few weeks ago?) then you are only missing the following -

Original:
A Sorry Case by Alan Grant and Colin Macneil, progs 540 to 543. A fun little story about a mutant cursed by bad luck, this was skipped by Hachette for reasons of space. This is the only story missing from the original run.

One-offs:
The Judas Strain by Lauren Beukes, Dale Halvorsen and Ezquerra, Prog 2016. Johnny and Durham have another team-up/passive-agressive flirt.
Once upon a Time in Der Vest by Rob Williams and Laurence Campbell, prog 2212. A tribute to the Starlord years. Inconsequential, but worth it for the art.
Valhalla by Michael Carroll and Patrick Goddard, Sci-fi Special 2019. A lovely Wulf solo tale.
Sleeping Dogs Lie by Tharg and Chris Weston, 2000AD Villians Special. A Stix tale, but Alpha features heavily. Gorgeous art, as you'd expect from Weston.

Dredd crossovers:
Top Dogs by Wagner and Macneil, Judge Dredd Annual 1991. Superb stuff.
Judgement Day, Garth Ennis and various artists, progs 786-799, Judge Dredd Megazine #2.04-2.09. Nobody's favourite Mega-epic, but Alpha's in it quite a lot.
By Private Contract, Wagner and Ezquerra, Prog 2000. More great stuff from the masters.

The Judas Strain and By Private Contract have never been reprinted. You can get the other three one-offs in the new The Son collection from Rebellion, but of course you'll be doubling up on other material. The Hachette hardback of Judgement Day is worth tracking down as it also has Top Dogs in it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

As an addendum, here's your missing Middenface and Durham stories:

Middenface:
Midnapped! by Grant and Shaun Thomas, Megazine 234-236. Frustratingly skipped in the recent Hachette book!
Opening Night at the Omegabowl by David Baillie and VV Glass, 2022 Sci-Fi Special. A fun story with great art that's actually the most recent story to date in terms of continuity, set after the events of The Son.

Durham:
The Scarlet Apocrypha by Dan Abnett and various, Megazine 4.12-4.18. Whether they exist in-continuity or not, these one-offs are well worth tracking down. Hopefully they'll turn up in the Durham book planned for the final Hachette extension...
The Worley Run by Alec Worley and Ben Willsher. Okay, I'm being a bit lazy here by not listing these stories individually, but they'll all be in the aforementioned Hachette book!
@jamesfeistdraws

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 February, 2023, 10:24:43 AMThe Judas Strain and By Private Contract have never been reprinted.

By Private Contract is available in Dredd Guatemala - as if that volume did not have enough to recommend it.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN708

Sleeping Dogs Lie is sensational. A double twist in the last page, with a final panel that is pure perfection.

sheridan

Can't really answer any of the questions, but welcome to the board!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that all Rebellion era stuff printed in the last ten years or so will be available digitally, in the same form as if you'd been on board (and on the board) at the time.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: gogilesgo on 09 February, 2023, 11:45:07 AMBy Private Contract is available in Dredd Guatemala - as if that volume did not have enough to recommend it.

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN708

Oh, fantastic! I actually picked up Guatemala in a recent webshop sale, but haven't even opened it yet. That'll learn me!
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Didnt realise that they'd skipped two shorts that could have been in the very flimsy "The Son" volume

At the risk of Tharg nuking my Sub even further, that's a tad slipshod. I blame the loss of Barney!

Maybe they could produce a final volume with Judgement Day, By Private Contract and The Judas Strain to round out the set properly?

Richard

The Judas Strain was reprinted in Repo Men. (It wasn't in prog 2016 but in the 40th Anniversary Special.)

Leigh S

aha, not too bad then, though has that "so close yet so far" feeling the Hardbacks have been giving me!

I;d stillb e up for a Judgement Day.BPC collection just so all the stront stuff was together - they could throw in the 3 text stories too!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Don't forget the various Strontium Dog prose novels either!

SBT

Tamping

Thanks for all the info folks! Not too much more to find, should keep me busy a bit longer!

The novels sporadically appear on ebay so I will keep an eye out.

Are the SD search & destroy hardcover coming out roughly one a year?

I wish the Dredd case files weren't so far behind! I have some hachette books, a few random books from the years but I like my collection! (Also, someone has run off with my csse file vol 8. How wude.)

IndigoPrime

It's hard to know the cadence of the Rebellion S/D hardcovers, since we're only up to the second one. However, if you already have the Hachette books, you wouldn't need the Rebellion ones beyond the first, unless your aim is to replace the Hachette volumes.

FWIW, Top Dog lurks in various reprint volumes. Your best bet would be Restricted Files 3, which compiles a bunch of annual/special strips. Other options would duplicate Case Files material, such as Hachette's Dredd Mega Collection Judgement Day volume (issue 25/vol 37), and the 1993 Hamlyn softback.

(If you don't have the Restricted Files, the second and third volumes in particular are great. The fourth one is ropey, since it ends up in Dredd's worst era, and the first is an oddball, because writers were still getting to grips with the character. It looks like #3 is OOP, but it does rock up on eBay every now and again.)