Main Menu

New Here. Hello, All!

Started by GizmoDuck, 27 February, 2023, 05:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GizmoDuck

Hi, all.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I was first introduced to 2000AD in the early '90s by my slightly dodgy cousin, we all seem to have that one cousin that's older than you and tells you, or shows you things, a 9yo probably shouldn't know.  :lol:

The introduction was Batman vs. Judge Dredd. Now I had no idea who Dredd was, only that he was a Future Cop and my cousin had a load of his comics and paint-your-own statues in his room.

Probably not the best introduction for an 9yo, or maybe it was.

Anyway, I grew up and kinda forgot 2000AD; none of my friends read it, and I don't think it was stocked in my local off-licence, and like most teens and early 20-somethings I was busy reading Marvel or DC, or Image if I felt edgy.

However, I never forgot Dredd, and every now and then I would pick up a graphic novel or two, but that was it.

Fast forward to mid-thirties and I decided to try Dredd again. I started with Origins and loved it, and then I started with the Complete Case Files. I'm on No. 10 now.

I very, very quickly turned into a super Judge Dredd fan for many reasons. Other than the great stories, art, politics, satire, etc., one thing I love is the continuity!!

I'm neuro-divergent and one thing I like, in any field, is a line of continuity, that's why I never really got on with Marvel or DC; We rebooted the reboot to the reboot, also the New 52 of DC comics has 7 separate comic-arhcs of Batman running independently of each other... wait what? That's why I don't get on with movies, either, I don't like the one-and-done of story telling. (Dredd 2012 doesn't count, that was great)

Reading the CCFs in order is amazing (and the fact that Dredd has been in continuous print since February '77 and is still turning out weekly stories is something that needs to be recognised more by the publishing and comic book community I think).
For example, I picked up the 2000AD Christmas edition from last year, and Dredd speaks to the Devil and the Devil brings up the Cursed Earth saga, Judge Giant, The Judge Child. I'd only just read those stories a few months ago and here I am, reading a story published 30+ years on from those events and they're still be referenced. I dunno, that just feels... personal to me.

It seems to happen whenever I pick up a story of Dredd. I picked up Brothers of the Blood and I was introduced to Rico and Dolman, and then they turn up in Chaos Day too and I was like, I know these two! Buell of SJS, well, I met him in The Pit, and he turns up in a few of the stories I've read too.

I just appreciate this continuous, unbroken line of story telling. As I say, it feels personal and like a safe space, even if Mega City-One is anything but.

I also started Absolom and they're bloody brilliant.

When it comes to comics, I only read 2000AD now. I don't see the point of picking up anything else.

Anyway, that's a lil' of me. So hi, all.

Trooper McFad

Welcome to the board. Which other characters from Thrags stable have hooked you in?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JohnW

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 27 February, 2023, 05:24:56 PMProbably not the best introduction for an 9yo, or maybe it was.

I was ten when I first started paying attention to the prog. Things that stuck in the mind were the naked corpses piling up on the conveyor belt at Resyk in The Fink, plagues and piranhas in Meltdown Man, man-eating baboon bandits in Strontium Dog, and assorted what-the-fuckery throughout.
All perfectly normal for a growing boy. Made me the man I am today.

Welcome to the forum, GizmoDuck.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

Welcome GizmoDuck! Awesome to hear you're enjoying your Dredd, I hope you enjoy this forum also!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

GizmoDuck

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 27 February, 2023, 05:33:22 PMWelcome to the board. Which other characters from Thrags stable have hooked you in?

Other than Dredd I'm going through the Absalom stories, they're amazing, though looks like there's only three collected volumes, which is a shame.

I enjoyed Leviathan too, that was creepy.

My friend keeps asking me to read Sinister Dexter, but I haven't gotten around to that, yet.

Oh, Lawless is pretty great as well.

GizmoDuck

Quote from: JWare on 27 February, 2023, 05:40:55 PM
Quote from: GizmoDuck on 27 February, 2023, 05:24:56 PMProbably not the best introduction for an 9yo, or maybe it was.

I was ten when I first started paying attention to the prog. Things that stuck in the mind were the naked corpses piling up on the conveyor belt at Resyk in The Fink,

Oddly, one of the things that stuck with me was the Resyk line too. Though it wasn't the Fink story, but one of my cousin's coloured 90s progs. I remember a Perp getting cut to pieces on the Resyk line, that stuck with me.

It'll be interesting to read all the '90s progs once i get round to them in the CCF

GizmoDuck

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 28 February, 2023, 10:02:26 AMWelcome GizmoDuck! Awesome to hear you're enjoying your Dredd, I hope you enjoy this forum also!

Thank you kindly. Good to be here.

Colin YNWA

Tamping

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 28 February, 2023, 10:39:29 AM

I was ten when I first started paying attention to the prog. Things that stuck in the mind were the naked corpses piling up on the conveyor belt at Resyk in The Fink,

Oddly, one of the things that stuck with me was the Resyk line too. Though it wasn't the Fink story, but one of my cousin's coloured 90s progs. I remember a Perp getting cut to pieces on the Resyk line, that stuck with me.

It'll be interesting to read all the '90s progs once i get round to them in the CCF

I'll be interested in what you read after case files. I've sort of wondered "what's next" since finishing them. I wish they could get another 10 out so I'm not so far behind!

GizmoDuck

Quote from: Tamping on 08 March, 2023, 08:28:47 AM
Quote from: GizmoDuck on 28 February, 2023, 10:39:29 AM

I'll be interested in what you read after case files. I've sort of wondered "what's next" since finishing them. I wish they could get another 10 out so I'm not so far behind!

I don't know to be honest, I'm currently on 10, which is 1986, and the newest, 42? Is still in the early 2000s, so it'll be a while before I catch up.

Though I'm not sure how 42 is still 20 years in the past, isn't one year IRL one year in Dredd too?

IndigoPrime

The Case Files don't include a year of strip. Once the Megazine rocked up, Dredd's ongoing page count went up pretty rapidly, hence the pace per Case Files book slowing down, in terms of chronology.

GizmoDuck

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 March, 2023, 10:38:46 AMThe Case Files don't include a year of strip. Once the Megazine rocked up, Dredd's ongoing page count went up pretty rapidly, hence the pace per Case Files book slowing down, in terms of chronology.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you.