Main Menu

Did anyone actually enoy A.H.A.B?

Started by chimpanzor, 05 July, 2004, 04:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

Loved the artwork, thought the story was pants. I'm not a big fan off old stories given a sci-fi twist, I just think there's a certain amount of oooh, that's interesting how they've made that character modern i.e. now they are a woman. Then the rest is just the same, where is the originality, it's just a rehash - and boring, I don't care about any of the plot, goodies or baddies or anything else...

Tweak72

an annoyingly poor interpritaion of moby dick art was good but it sucked a very ill and dirty donkeys c*ck.

and the donkey wanted his money back
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

JayzusB.Christ

Didn't like it. I'm not a fan of Richard Elson's art, and generally speaking I'm not into the whole outer space thingy in comics - I prefer more familiar settings for 2000ad stories (Zenith and Button Man are the obvious ones, but there's a lot that goes on in Dredd that reflects the important issues of today. And Halo Jones.) The exception is early Nemesis, which was so twistedly imaginative I had to like it. Slaine was about the only out-and-out sword and sorcery strip I liked, at least before it collapsed into the dull formula of a) invasion, b) battle and c) victory.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JimBob

I liked it, but I think the point about focussing on AHAB was spot on, since the demise of Torquemada the comics lacked a really good villain to  focus on (Judge Death veers about too much in tone) and we almost got one here.
 Would defiently be interested in seeing more from the same writer though, maybe the artist could do something alien free for a bit.

Richard

"Think it could have done with a longer run though."

No, it could have done with a much shorter run. One episode ideally, about the length of Droid Life.

maryanddavid

loved it.best villian in 2000ad for years,im a big fan of elson art,the story did seem as if it was wrapped up a bit too soon at the end,looking forward to the second (hopefully)series
david

robbycox

yep! i enjoyed it too.Especially the artwork,which imho is abolutely fantastic,put Richard Elson back on Dredd for a spell.Excellent.
Rob.

Endjinn

I think to dwell too much on comparing it to Moby Dick misses the point somewhat. In some posts he made on 2000adreview.co.uk and the interview with him there, Nigel Kitching explained that not only has he never read the original book, but that he was never intending to transplant it directly, or even to any great extent, into a sci-fi setting.

I enjoyed it start to finish, although I have to agree it petered out somewhat. But it made me forget the previous space saga bullshit of Valkyries.

Moose

i thought it was dull, and gave up after part 3

Art

Nigel Kitching explained that not only has he never read the original book, but that he was never intending to transplant it directly, or even to any great extent, into a sci-fi setting.

Naming half the charcaters after those in the book and sticking a bloody great whale in it may have been a bir of a mis-step then...

chimpanzor

I have to admit I didn't read all of Valkyries. I did look at some of the pictures though....

judgejampot

Richard Elson was my favorite artist for two years of my life as a young youth. I have never met him, but i won't hear a bad word said about him...

paulvonscott

Okay, I'll try and be constructive about this, as Nigel has been about on the board.  I also gave up after so many episodes.  Just as I did Low-life (which is just a bad Cop B-Movie in mega city, if you like gung-ho movie gun action bollocks, then I bet it's great).  

I've found my tolerance for stuff I'm not interested in has really dissapeared.  I don't read Sin Dex, I don't read anything by Author X, and will give Author Y the first few episodes only the benefit of my doubt for the first few issues.

I'm not saying AHAB was bad, but it would have been much better if it had lost much of the overt Moby Dick trappings.  Whether it's true or not, it looks like someone has problem coming up with ideas so lets do a half arsed moby dick story. So basically, for me any Moby Dick references should have been really toned down, A.H.A.B. was very annoying, chuck all of Merv's names names, get rid of the spacewhales.

If it had jettisoned all the overt trappings, and just told a more dramatic tale, with less smart buffy-esque chatter like 'Sure I'm afraid, you're a ten foot tall killing machine' which killed any tension for me stone dead.  The dialogue could have been cut for more atmosphere I reckon.  It was more soap opera than space opera.

The basic story of this crew coming across this guy who has preserved himself in an alien body suit at the expense of his crew, and then goes on a power crazed takeover as he is gripped by his obsession should have been much more exciting.  If they'd then gone off to chase some mysterious ship instead of space whales, again there would have been some genuine mystery for me.  Maybe I just have a problem with space whales.

I wouldn't object to seeing another NK strip (not that it matters to anyone but me whether I would or not), but next time I'll only give the strip half the amount of chance I gave this one.  As I say, that's just me, if you made the strip to suit me, no bugger else would probably like it.

I didn't hate it, didn't dislike it really, it just didn't stir my juices.  That wasn't that positive I know, but those were the elements that had me turning off.

therev

Not really...art was nice though.
Story was abit uninspired.

chimpanzor

SO in conclusion.. try harder next time guys.