Main Menu

Have you got them all? How do you store them?

Started by judgerussell, 07 March, 2014, 08:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerussell

Hello fellow squaxx.

Just wanting to know how many other people have a full collection of 2000AD. I completed my collection about 8 months ago, and it has completely filled all my storage space. I'm surprised my floor hasn't collapsed under the weight.

I'd love to pick up all the megazines i missed, but I have no room.☹

anyone want to show how they store theirs? Mine are all boarded and bagged (which means it takes forever to reread old favourites).

Ghost MacRoth

All progs, megazines, specials, spin offs, and annuals, Bagged, boxed, and in their own cupboard.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

SmallBlueThing

All progs, Megs, specials, annuals, all crisises, revolvers, tornados, starlords, screams, annuals, all dc Dredds, eagle Dredds, IDW titles, half of Battles, half of the 'new' Eagles, plus thousands of US titles including complete Swamp Thing to date, all bagged (most boarded) and boxed in the corner of our bedroom. I too sit on the sofa eyeing the ceiling in that corner nervously.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Don't just tell us about it - show us!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,39695.210.html

Though I have to be honest I don't have a full set as I lack the first 40 issues (have most of the strips reprinted of course - most that is - damn you Dan Dare Foundation or whatever you are called!) - given my recent delving into the world of original art I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever have the money for a full set!

Frank

Not even close. My first prog was 511; I bought every prog, monthly, and most specials and annuals until I quit in 2003. Any back issues I have are a result of random opportunities, rather than a plan of action. I like that the comics I have, and the comics I don't, tell the story of my interest in the House of Tharg. They're in vertical stacks on the bottom shelves of the Ikea bookcases in the spare room.

Trout

Nah. I do have lots but I don't really feel the need to own the early ones. My run of progs starts somewhere in the 200s, I think.

As for storage... Check Colin's link!

Emp

Not quite complete...only started at around prog 125..an theses is the occasional gap where an issue didn't make it due to one problem or another.

As for storage...DO NOT stack the older issues end on end as i did...they dry out and end compressing into a mass that results in them becoming the equivalent of the Doomsday book!

judgerussell

I started collecting in 1994, prog 927, and it has taken a lot of time, and money, to get all the back issues. I also have all the annuals (including the 2 terrible Dan Dare, and Rogue Trooper annual) and yearbooks, plus 2000ad & Dredd specials and winter specials. I have all but the last few crisis, have a few dc Dredds, and megazines from 2003 onwards. Most of the novels, a couple of starlords and a lot of tpb's.

I also have a the majority of poster progs, only missing Dredd issue 4 and 5, and nemesis.

As for other memorabilia, the list is longgggggg. Nowhere near as many as the mighty cellar of Dredd (jealous of that John). Most of my memorabilia is on my Facebook, jack porter.

I'm wanting to eventually complete my megazine collection, and get all starlord and tornads. And try and get the last few trading cards I'm missing, oh, and the few bt phone cards too.

Plus I'm currently trying to put together a Dredd uniform to conventions. It's a hard life being a squaxx dek thargo!

judgerussell

All my comics are stored standing upright on their spines. Best way i think. If you stack them one on top of each other, they will end up just like emp says.

Magnetica

Good question - this is something that has been on my mind recently - since I joined this forum in fact.

I have every Prog since 127, assorted earlier Progs, every Megazine, every Starlord, every annual and summer special since I started getting the Prog, all year books,  the two previous American Dredd comics, all the new IDW stuff, the first few months of the new Eagle before I gave up on it, a few Crisis before I gave up on it, one or two Revolvers. A few collected editions of Daily Star Dredds. Also Star Wars Weekly up to about number 30 or 40 (but missed number 3 I think). Plus the Red Dwarf magazines. Oh and one X-Men comic from years ago and a recent collected edition of Iron Man.

I did miss a Rogue Trooper summer special once (or something like that) - I just drew the line at buying it. Seems silly now.

My "house of Tharg" collection started when my mum bought me Starlord (issue 3 I think) on holiday one year. I then bought Starlord every week until it merged into 2000AD.  Was a bit annoyed at that - I got a few issues then could n't get it a couple of times and gave up. Then bought 122. Then bought 127 and have bought every week since. Indeed I have been pretty relentless in making sure I never miss an issue.

(Actually the first 2000AD related thing I had was the 1997 summer special which I read and threw out -it is the only one I ever did that with. Obviously wasn't that impressed :lol:).

After becoming a regular I bought a few back progs in the Forbidden Planet in the 90s and got the first two Starlords I missed. In those days FP seemed to pretty much have a complete set of all Progs but I thought they were too expensive to buy them all - especially the  "banned" Progs.

I think I have pretty much read everything ever published in the Prog through various reprints (except for future shocks and Dan Dare) but can't be sure e.g I have original Titan reprints of The Cursed Earth and the Day the Law Died (way before Case Files), first volume of the Titan ABC Warriors reprint, a few extreme editions (Flesh, Ant Wars), some Quality Comic re-prints, some other American Judge Dredd reprints from years ago, plus what was reprinted in annuals and summer specials. I have only recently caught up in the Early Dredds I missed via Case Files 1,2 and 3 (borrowed from the local library!!!), Planet Death and Angel via floppies. I recently also bought the TPB of Harlem Heroes to get Inferno and Restricted Files 01. And I have the Blackhawk collected edition on loan from the library at present to read the Tornado stuff.

It does pain me that I don't have a complete collection of the Prog though, but not sure I will ever now.

Storage is problem. Most is in my mum's house. My own house has very little storage and whilst I love the paper versions I am not sure I  have room for another 40 years worth (assuming I live that long). It would pain me to go digital, but can see the advantage of easier access. I really have no storage system - I delve into the collection to get a Prog and  end up putting them back any old how, so they are pretty mixed up. I then periodically spend a day re-ordering then. Once I even discovered I was missing  a Prog a few years back and had to buy it on ebay.

Mattofthespurs

I do have them all, plus all associated annuals, specials, Starlords, Tornados, Titan reprint albums, collections etc. Most of the progs and megs are in comics boxes which are piled on top of each other in a corner of the man cave. The annuals and associated collections are on shelves.
The idea is that I am decorating the man cave and when the wallpapering is done I will be shelving out the entire room. This is to house not only my tooth collection but the other 5000 books and 2000 dvds and blu rays.
I do plan, as I have done with my Batman comics, to get 2000 AD and The Meg bound professionally and then they shall go on aforementioned shelves.
It's going to be a long and expensive task but it's something to do!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 September, 2011, 03:43:10 PM
Pah! Psh!

I mock your ordered collections. They are the products of weak minded fools.

BEHOLD!

When is a shed not a shed?

When it is a SHED OF DREDD!

BEAT THAT!
Lock up your spoons!

judgerussell

Cellar of Dredd, shed of Dredd..... what's next? Lol.

bedroom of brigand doom?
garage of savage?
hall of bec and kawl?
cave of big Dave?
cant think of any more.

Mardroid

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 March, 2014, 09:06:23 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 September, 2011, 03:43:10 PM
Pah! Psh!

I mock your ordered collections. They are the products of weak minded fools.

BEHOLD!

When is a shed not a shed?

What does it say about my state of mind that the answer that popped into my head was "when it's a bonfire."

Heh. (That's not a threat, don't worry. I'm not envious at all.)

The Bissler

I sold all of mine in favour of collecting all the Graphic Novels.  Heresy, I know...

But the shelves are beginning to buckle under the weight of all those Case Files and others!  :o