Main Menu

First single or album bought

Started by 8-Ball, 27 April, 2014, 03:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-Ball

When it comes to music everybody has to start somewhere and we don't always have the most sophisticated tastes when we are younger, so I would like to know -

What was the first single or album you bought versus the first single or album you admit to buying?

For example the first 7" single I actually bought with my own pocket money at the age of 12 was:
Arnee and the Terminators - I'll Be Back (a parody song from Radio 1 DJ Steve Wright)
http://youtu.be/WsSRE5wl6ew

Whereas the first single (on cassette) I tell everybody I bought at the age of 14 is:
Guns N' Roses - Ain't It Fun (from their punk covers album The Spaghetti Incident)
http://youtu.be/zjbyzO9RK5w

Anybody else?
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Ancient Otter

First album bought I believe was Mansun - Attack of the Gray Lantern on cassette. Still like that album but not as much as their second album Six which I freaking love to bits!

NapalmKev

The first album I can remember purchasing myself is 'Bad' by Michael Jackson.

The first single I owned was a Christmas present from my brother (10 years senior). It was 'Toy Dolls' with the seminal classic 'Nellie the Elephant'. I still own it to this day*

Cheers

*the first single I had was really 'Bachelor Boy' by the Perma-tanned God botherer Cliff Richard. It was on Floppy vinyl, and yes I still own it.
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Frank

The first single I had bought for me was Summer Nights from the Grease soundtrack. The first single I bought myself was Green Door by Shakin Stevens - my Dad made me go up to the counter and pay for it myself, but I didn't want to, and went all shy when the guy at the till spoke to me. I think the next single I actually bought myself was Renegade Master by Wildchild, so the Shaky incident proved to be a moment of primal childhood trauma.

mogzilla

Elton john  "i'm still standing"  with my top ten offer from clarks commando's shoes!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

GrinningChimera

Papa Roach - Infest

I was 12 years old and it was my first time going into town "on my own" (with mates, no adults). I got it for the song Blood Brothers after hearing it heaps on Tony Hawks Pro Skater. If memory serves it was from Bridge Street Records in Walsall.

Was stolen from me by a ex girlfriend when we broke up. I say stolen, it was at her house along with some other stuff of mine and I was too scared to go and get it back. Have since got myself a new copy for nostalgic reasons.

Fungus

Fungus

As far as 'admit' to buying...?
If the Music Police ever did roll up to my door and demand a socially acceptable answer to that question, I would tell them where to go.

Dandontdare

If we're talking about actually spending my own money on, the first single was Blondie's Heart of Glass; and the first album would be War of the Worlds; but I was already the proud owner of the first two Muppets albums, A Rolf Harris album and the 7" Action Man single.

I probably only bought one or two more records after this 'cos my first best mate in secondary school had a vast musical knowledge, a great stereo and a humungous record collection (his mum worked for Branson's original Virgin records so he could get just about anything free). I'd just go round his house with a 10 pack of C90s and choose what I wanted him to tape for me. Still got boxes of (largely unplayable now) tapes, but I've replaced most of the core collection on CD and i-tunes .

JamesC

First single I bought was either Ghostbusters, The Frog Chorus (Paul McCartney and Rupert) or Band Aid.

The first album was Southpaw Grammar by Morrissey. I almost bought either the Billy Joel album that has 'We Didn't Start The Fire' on it or the Turtles movie soundtrack but they were both too expensive so I didn't buy either.

First album I owned was Now 8 that I was given as a birthday present.

8-Ball

Quote from: JamesC on 27 April, 2014, 06:40:22 PM
First single I bought was either Ghostbusters, The Frog Chorus (Paul McCartney and Rupert) or Band Aid.

The first album was Southpaw Grammar by Morrissey. I almost bought either the Billy Joel album that has 'We Didn't Start The Fire' on it or the Turtles movie soundtrack but they were both too expensive so I didn't buy either.

Did it have Turtle Power by Partners In Kryme on it. 'Cos that is a boss tune. :cool:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

SuperSurfer

The first single I bought was with a Woolworths music token: The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia by Laurel & Hardy. Not sure if it was a double A-side. I found it hilarious. It came without a picture sleeve. In those days you were lucky to get a picture sleeve with a single.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRJVlPJKQs

It pains me to say the first album I owned was Nightflight to Venus by Boney M. Well, I chose it as an Xmas present from my brother. I was with him and my dad when he bought it for me from Our Price records. At the same time I bought for him his choice which was Tonic for the Troops by The Boomtown Rats. So was that the first album I bought?

I can rescue this for me and declare that the first album I actually bought for myself was Remain in Light by Talking Heads which to this day is one of my favourite albums. (I still rate the album graphics by the late great Tibor Kalman's M&Co – I attended a speech by him once. He was a fascinating and very funny guy).

But... just to uncool that, alongside the above album I bought my first 12" single which was Ossie's Dream by the Tottenham Hotspur FA Cup Final squad with Chas n Dave (limited edition blue vinyl).

Daveycandlish

Showing my age; my first single was by Bang Bang by BA Robertson.

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

shaolin_monkey

The first single I ever paid for was the soundtrack to Fraggle Rock. On the B side was the Doozer's song 'Workin', which was particularly pumping.

JamesC

Quote from: Eightball on 27 April, 2014, 06:57:01 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 27 April, 2014, 06:40:22 PM

Did it have Turtle Power by Partners In Kryme on it. 'Cos that is a boss tune. :cool:

It did indeed! My friend ended up buying it and would sometimes bring it round to listen to.