Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! - Full results

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 April, 2021, 06:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well we're done!

It's been debated and now voted upon and the definitive results are in. There can be no further discussion. It's clear AlexF was WRONG - however brilliantly he put his list together - and even by his own admission. But we're here to find out how wrong and to discuss the correct answers (well the correct answer that isn't my list anyway). So without further ad0, In time honoured reverse order the full, ranked order all sorted out:

52: Dead Ringer - 48 = down 4 places

51: Crusade - 52 = up 1 place.

50: Blood of Satanus III - 51 = up 1 place.

49: Purgatory / Inferno - 49 = no move.

48: Luna-City - 50 = up 2 places.

47: The Robot War - 44 = down 3 places.

46: Raptaur - 46 = no change.

45: The Mega Rackets - 43 = down 2 places.

44: The Ecstasy - 35 = Down 9 places

43: Cold War [The Adventures of Judge Dredd in the Land of the Soviets] - 37 = down 6 places.

42: Darkside - 38 = Down 4 places

41: Blood Trails - 34 = Down 7 places

40: Mandroid 2 - Instrument of War - 39 = Down 1 place

39: The Hunting Party - 41 = Up 2 places

38: Judgement Day - 36 = Down 2 places

37: Doomsday - 42 = Up 5 places

36: Die Laughing - 32 = Down 4 places

35: Helter Skelter - 31 = Down 4 places

34: End of Days - 25 = Down 9 places

33: Judgement on Gotham - 26 = Down 7 places

32: Judge Dredd Vs Aliens - Incubus- 27 = Down 5 places

31: The Chief Judge's Man - 45 = up 14 places

30: Wilderlands  - 29 = Down 1 place

29: Sin City = 33 - Up 4 places

28: Krong Island - 21 = down 7 places

27: Fetish - 22 = down 5 places

26: Served Cold / The Cop - 18 = down 8 places

25: Dead Zone - 19  = down 6 places

24: Dark Justice - 23 = down 1 place

23: Block Judge - 17 = down 6 places

22: Beyond the Call of Duty - 24 = Up 2 places

21: Every Empire Falls - 20 = down 1 place

20: Small House - 14 = Down 6 places

19: Machine Law - 9 = Down 10 places

18: Titan Enceladus - 8 = Down 10 places

17: Mandroid - 7 = Down 10 places

16: Trifecta - 30 = Up 14 places

15: Mechanismo - 40 = Up 25 places

14:The Cursed Earth - 11 = Down 3 places

13: City of the Damned - 47 = Up 34 places.

12: Terror / Total War - 6 = down 6 places

11: The Day the Law Died - 10 = down 1 place

10: Origins - 3 = down 7 places

9: The Dead Man - 2 = down 7 places

8: Oz - 16 = up 8 places

7: The Pit - 15 = up 8 places

6: America - 1= down 5 places

5: Day of Chaos - 5 = no change

4: Tour of Duty - 28 = Up 24 places

3: Judge Child - 12 = Up 9 places

2: Necropolis - 13 = Up 11 places

1: Apocalypse War (inc Block Mania) - 4 = Up 3 places

broodblik

I am just comparing the Dredd Epics vs Dredd Top 15 Mega Thrills:

1) The Apocalypse War (including Block Mania)  - The Apocalypse War
2) Necropolis                                                  - Necropolis
3) The Judge Child                                          - The Pit
4) Tour of Duty                                               - The Curses Earth
5) Day of Chaos                                              - Tour of Duty
6) America                                                      - Tale of the Dead Man
7) The Pit                                                       - Block Mania
8) Oz                                                             - Day of Chaos
9) The Dead Man                                            - The Judge Child
10) Origins                                                     - The Day the Law Died

One thing I can say comparing the two lists is that we do love anything Carlos did
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Also interesting to note that two stories wrapped into their respective larger Epics on AlexF's list - 'Block Mania' and 'Tales of the Dead Man' both chart on their own merits in the Dredd Top 15 Mega Thrills list.

AlexF

The Day the Law DIED??

Colin, your Tour of Duty running this epic Crusade has gone well Beyond the Call of Duty, creating a Helter Skelter of emotions from Luna City to Ecstasy. I can't deny there where Days of Chaos, when a Trifecta of people with a real Fetish for 'City of the Damned' had a Hunting Party sniffing out the Blood Trails to bring about Doomsday for the Origins of my best epic list. I suppose some will Die Laughing at having toppled the Small House of my humble opinions, a revenge Served Cold from the Pit of a Dead Zone, leaving me as an Incubus of despair, to lick my wounds and wonder how to escape this difference-of-opinon Wilderlands, one day ready to emerge from the Darkside of Sin City's Purgatory, to wreak my own brand of Dark Justice. Every Empire Falls, I guess.

The only thing that rankles, rankles by Grud, is that you lot have somehow voted Mechanimso as better than Machine Law. You idiots.

Colin YNWA

AlexF - you sir are MAGNIFICENT! That post is a work of wonder.

But now back to pulling your work apart...

Some Headline numbers

So let's look at some headline figures here. Firstly AlexF got three epics positioned exactly as the poll did, Purgatory / Inferno at 49, Raptaur at 46 and Day of Chaos at number 5.

32 Epics went down, i.e AlexF ranked them higher than they ended in the final poll

17 went up, i.e. the vote ranked the Epics higher than AlexF's original ranking.

Overall on average epicss moved 6.4 positions (regardless of direction)

The average move down was 5.2

The average move up was 9.8

The fact that the jumps up were largely bigger than the drops isn't surprising as the format limited how far an Epic could drop. Its entirely possible some would have dropped more. In theory there was no limit as to how far an Epic could rise... as fans of City of the Damned will atest to.

BPP

Sun city is the one that stands out to me as way out of place there - did formatting do for it?

Thanks again Colin, it's a great list to look thru.

Now AlexF needs punished for his disgraceful views on City of The Dammed....
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 26 April, 2021, 10:48:19 AM
Now AlexF needs punished for his disgraceful views on City of The Dammed....

I will castigate and mock many of AlexF's decisions and rankings, but I will stand shoulder to shoulder with him on his view of 'City of the Damned'!

broodblik

I also struggle to grasp the concept for the love of the 'City of the Damned'. Truth is stranger than fiction
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

City of the Damned was really a proto-Necropolis.

Still not sure Dead Man deserves a ranking slot. Either that or Block Mania is getting treated roughly.

But that's the beauty of this.

Thanks Colin! I really enjoyed this.

How about ranking every other strip, not Dredd, into a glorious Top 1000?
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 April, 2021, 12:00:08 PM

If Colin doesn't have that one pencilled into his purloined Library Services notebook, I'll be disappointed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2021, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 April, 2021, 12:00:08 PM

If Colin doesn't have that one pencilled into his purloined Library Services notebook, I'll be disappointed.

Its #4

Colin YNWA

The big changes - Climbers

So while AlexF kinda didn't have his finger on the pulse - though as we'll see it could have been worse - in the end though which Epics was he most out of tune on?

Well we know the biggie. The biggest change overall was of course City of the Damned. There are folks out there that clearly LOVE this one but AlexF (much like myself) see it for the hideous mutated beast it is. It was there able to rise a whooping and eye popping 34 places.

Other big moves up, i.e. the Epics AlexF's likes a lot less than most folks.

Mechanism stomped, then limped a magnificent 25 place UP the charts in the final ranking compared to AlexF's ranking

Well we value Tour of Duty far more than AlexF - THOUGH NOT ENOUGH - still this was the 3rd highest climber with a very brisk 24 places.

Both Trifecta and The Chief Judge's Man gained 14 places

Interestingly 2nd placed Epic Necropolis was the last of the big movers returning from the dead to scale 11 places.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The whole time I was reading this thread, the Top of the Pops version of Whole Lotta love was on a loop in my head and I was reading all the comments in Bruno Brooke's voice
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mister Pops on 26 April, 2021, 05:14:32 PM
The whole time I was reading this thread, the Top of the Pops version of Whole Lotta love was on a loop in my head and I was reading all the comments in Bruno Brooke's voice

I know exctly what you mean.

Anyway pop pickers last one for today as I'm sure your all pig sick of this by now

The big changes - Fallers

Which Epics does AlexF like a lot more than the rest of folks. Well remember this was artificially limited by the format but three dropped 10 places from AlexF's ranking:

Machine Law
Titan / Enceladus
Mandroid

Another two dropped 9 places, The Ecstacy and End of Days.

We are left to reflect how low they might have gone if the format had allowed. I do think Machine Law will get a revaluation as time goes on and Titan / Enceladus is wonderful!

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 April, 2021, 09:27:27 AM
The fact that the jumps up were largely bigger than the drops isn't surprising as the format limited how far an Epic could drop. Its entirely possible some would have dropped more. In theory there was no limit as to how far an Epic could rise... as fans of City of the Damned will atest to.

That's right. It's also important to understand the format limited the number of epics that could rise significantly i.e in a pool of 8 only 4 could progress to the next pool. Those left behind in that pool could then only fight out the places in that pool. But there was no limit to how far a few favoured epics could rise.