Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Boyle's book is sitting on top of my to read pile.

strontium_dog_90

It's a great, great read, I did it pretty much in one go - pausing only to watch "My Bloody Valentine" (lured in by the free 3d glasses) and to eat. Got a few tellings off from the other half for laughing too loudly, though - a not uncommon occurence in my life.

As well as 2000ad, he mentions others comics, and seems like a massive fan of comics in general, even saying at one point that they can be life-changing. Always nice to see a truth like that stressed.

Richmond Clements

QuoteAs well as 2000ad, he mentions others comics, and seems like a massive fan of comics in general, even saying at one point that they can be life-changing. Always nice to see a truth like that stressed.

Cool- and I should mention that during the HiEx weekend, Frankie is playing the same venue!

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 November, 2009, 12:30:44 PM
QuoteAs well as 2000ad, he mentions others comics, and seems like a massive fan of comics in general, even saying at one point that they can be life-changing. Always nice to see a truth like that stressed.

Cool- and I should mention that during the HiEx weekend, Frankie is playing the same venue!

Wow - surely there are a few stories to be had from THAT fact! I'll have to take a look at the audience on the DVD release, see if there's any obvious crossover between the two different events :-)

Mike Gloady

Wonder if Frankie's up for wandering about with a few geeks.  That man makes me weep with laughter. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

strontium_dog_90

The book is great - imagine his Mock The Week style humour, but without the censorship of TV. That said, it's not just an exercise in crudeness; it's pretty well written, with the humour adding to the story, not detracting from it. And I laughed pretty hard at it, but since the other half was trying to sleep next to me, it was more her doing the weeping . . .

Kerrin

I've been reading "The Scorpion" by Desberg and Marini as recommended by Bolt. It's a good swashbuckling story but the artwork is just unreal. Every single panel is an absolute masterpiece. I'm onto the second trade and chuffed to bits to see there's a third on the way.

Got "The Umbrella Academy; Dallas", "Hellboy" 8, "IR$" vol1 and "We3" as well. I think I may have developed a bit of a habit.

HdE

How annoying is this?

While trawling Amazon, I found a collection of Tokyopop manga digests based on the old Starcraft computer game (a game I devoured and went back to many a time in my mis-spent youth!) - looking it over, I saw that a number of western writers were attached to it. So I ordered the lot!

Volumes 2 and 3 arrived today, and I'm RARING to read them- chamoping at the bit, I tells ya! BUT WITH NO VOLUME 1 TO START WITH, I AM DENIIIIIIEEEED!!!

Shame. They look really excellent. I'll be reading 'em as soon as the rest of the volumes arrive.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HOO-HAA

DIVIDED KINGDOM by Rupert Thomson.

Dark, speculative fiction at its very best. Loving it!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Kerrin on 28 November, 2009, 04:27:21 PM
I've been reading "The Scorpion" by Desberg and Marini as recommended by Bolt. It's a good swashbuckling story but the artwork is just unreal. Every single panel is an absolute masterpiece. I'm onto the second trade and chuffed to bits to see there's a third on the way.

Have to say just checked thes eon Amazon as I'm a big fan of Zorro comics and always fancy a little bit of swashbuckling (or War, or Cowboy, or Jungle action) comics and his is entirely new to me but sounds superb. Another for the wish list!

Mike Gloady

Ubik by Phillip K. Dick. Cracking, moves at a hell of a pace and races along, throwing out all kinds of brilliant ideas in huge amounts. A chapter's worth of this would, in lesser hands, be stretched out to an entire novel. Hugely entertaining. Recommended.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

starscape

'Time Out of Joint' is my fave Philip K Dick book.  I'm halfway through (but put it on hold) Man In The High Castle which is pretty decent too.

Tiplodocus

Quite a few stand up comedians have geeky tendencies but they don't get let out very often. 

I sometimes think it might be a nice idea to try and get a gig organised at a Con' with lots of geek firendly comedians.  But then I remember that most people go to Con's for comics, a beer and a chat and don't really fancy having to stay quiet while a comedian is on.

I think we should see if he fancies popping down the bar for a few afterwards though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Six Degree's about the horror's unleashed by global warming. Some say it's all shite and the scientists have been 'massaging' the figures but still a pretty scary book.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

HdE

I recently read the graphic novel 'Groom Lake' by Chris Ryall and Ben Templesmith.

Dear lord. Funniest book I've read all year! Recommended to anybody who gets a laugh out of aliens butt-probing rednecks!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/