Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

How do you accidentally read two whole novels?

Not that I'm complaining you understand, they're great.  Just wondering how you get further than the first page or two without thinking "hey, I'm meant to be doing the washing up!"
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Richmond Clements

I listened to the Dark Materials audios again last month on my commute. I hate the end of the third one, it's the most utterly heartbreaking thing ever written.

Roger Godpleton

Libra by DeLillo which is pretty cool.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 06 December, 2009, 07:24:33 PM
Libra by DeLillo which is pretty cool.
Of the de Lillo that I've read, Libra was the best.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 December, 2009, 07:04:44 PM
I accidentally reread the first two volumes of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials this weekend. They really are extremely good books.

The important part of this statement is 'the first two volumes'.  They're both great.  Even the bulk of the third one is good, but the resolution/revelation leaves me utterly cold.

satchmo

I've gone a bit William Gibson mental this week, just finished Spook Country which I loved, and it led me back to Neuromancer. For the third time. The odd anachronism aside it is ageless and magnificent. And I really must finish reading the Riverworld series. Who built the bastard?! And why?!

TordelBack

Quote from: satchmo on 06 December, 2009, 09:52:03 PM
And I really must finish reading the Riverworld series. Who built the bastard?! And why?!

Oh, you definitely should persevere.  I held off on reading The Magic Labyrinth and Gods of Riverworld for years, but they turned out to be quite satisfying 'conclusions' to a superb series.  I still think there's a great TV show lurking in Riverworld somewhere - I had high hopes for the abortive Kevin Smith (the other one) series.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 December, 2009, 09:14:57 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 06 December, 2009, 07:04:44 PM
I accidentally reread the first two volumes of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials this weekend. They really are extremely good books.
The important part of this statement is 'the first two volumes'.  They're both great.  Even the bulk of the third one is good, but the resolution/revelation leaves me utterly cold.
As it happens, my ex-girlfriend's brother still has my copy of the third one and it wasn't in the library yesterday so I'll probably not get to that this time. As I remember it tries to cram far too much in.

One thing I meant to comment on, given its topicality on another thread, is the neat way sex is dealt with in the books. Acknowledged but not explained or dwelt on.
We never really die.

Kerrin

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 December, 2009, 10:16:18 PM
Quote from: satchmo on 06 December, 2009, 09:52:03 PM
And I really must finish reading the Riverworld series. Who built the bastard?! And why?!

Oh, you definitely should persevere.  I held off on reading The Magic Labyrinth and Gods of Riverworld for years, but they turned out to be quite satisfying 'conclusions' to a superb series.  I still think there's a great TV show lurking in Riverworld somewhere - I had high hopes for the abortive Kevin Smith (the other one) series.

Christ, I thought it finished in a bit of a rush. So the dogfight and what have you weren't near the end at all. I'm wondering where I got up to.

House of Usher

I'm looking forward to reading properly again in my unoccupied hours as soon I start getting paid - at work - for any work-related reading I do.

This weekend I read Blood Brothers by Willy Russell on the bus to and from London for teaching purposes. I surprised myself by finding it not only a good read but also very moving in places. For 2 years though I've been disapproving of its inclusion on English Literature GCSE reading lists. "That's not literature!" I would complain. By all means put it on the reading for English language and get them to do coursework on it, but setting it for an exam seemed wrong to me.

When I wrote the outline of my English Literature GCSE course I selected The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) from the Pre-1914 drama list and Pygmalion (George Bernard Shaw) from the Post-1914 after consulting some prospective students. When the course began I had a couple of late joiners who asked what the books were and I told them. One asked "aren't we doing a Shakespeare?" (no) and the other asked "why don't you do Blood Brothers?" (because I don't want to teach it and I can't see the benefit of it to a class of adult learners who are in class of their own free will and don't have to be engaged by literature that speaks to their own experience in a very literal way).

Initially I objected to the implication that I had made some sort of mistake in selecting Shaw rather than Willy Russell for inclusion in a course on literature, but it soon became apparent that the reason why she would rather study Blood Brothers was because she had already read it in school and it would therefore involve less work on her part!

Anyway, I still don't have a high opinion of Blood Brothers as literature, but it's a good read and a successful piece of drama. I can see its usefulness for engaging school kids who don't really want to be in school or learn anything but who can nevertheless be reached through art (Russell's original purpose in writing it), but it's a pity if by competing with other plays for space on the curriculum it narrows rather than broadens their learning experiences, hence my view that children's exposure to the play properly belongs on the language and drama syllabus.

So, erm... I've been reading Blood Brothers then.  :-[
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

I've a soft spot for Willy Russell, ever since I spent some happy weekends painting inner-city streetscapes and skylines on backdrops for a school production of Our Day Out. 

This was in happier days, since we got away with producing soft positively lewd images of our gorgeous leading lady for the posters.  I also drew some tragic illos for the programmes, almost my only 'published' 'art'!

Hoagy

When playing pool in the pub, at around 17 - 24 years of age, I'd often say Pygmalion, in frustration at a bad shot. Now it is a word that has subliminally entered my psyche at this time through a glance of it elsewhere. But I've become intrigued to find whether or not, it can be quantified as a passable utterence, in cuss. And, is it worth a read?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

vzzbux

Just treated myself the Commando picture library Battle of Britain 70th aniversary collection from The Works for £6 will start tucking into this one tonight.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Quote from: Krombasher on 07 December, 2009, 07:06:48 AM
Pygmalion - is it worth a read?

Well, that rather depends. If you mean instead of watching the film of My Fair Lady I'd say 'no' - the film is quite sufficient. But if you mean for the purpose of getting better acquainted with the original text, I'd say 'yes.' Shaw's dialogue is very well observed, and the best of it makes it through to the musical version. A more faithful film version (with the afternoon tea scene not moved to Royal Ascot) pre-dates both the musical and the Second World War.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 December, 2009, 05:18:05 AM
I've a soft spot for Willy Russell, ever since I spent some happy weekends painting inner-city streetscapes and skylines on backdrops for a school production of Our Day Out.

I like Willy Russell a lot. I saw 'Our Day Out' performed the drama teacher's own form group at school, and it was marvellous. Superb performances from everyone involved, not just drama enthusiasts, and a really touching rendition of 'Why Can't it Always be like This.' The headmaster's hackles rose at the swearing, even from the girl marvelling at a crystal chandelier "Cor! Look sat that bleedin' great lampshade."

I still prefer his grow-up work though: Educating Rita and Shirley Valentine, even though the film of Educating Rita is marred by a really horrible and dated synthesizer backing track. I could even countenance teaching Educating Rita as genuine Post-1914 literature, except most of it would be lost on school kids, as it's definitely not about people who haven't left school yet. Adult learners would probably enjoy it, although some might find the themes unbearably close to home.
STRIKE !!!