Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I just finished Dust: An Elysian Tail.

Marvellous little game - highly recommended. Like a blend of Metroid, Castlevania and Dog Tanian and the Muscahounds. IIRC the only game I've ever unlocked every single achievement for.

I'm now playing Fez again. A very charming, perplexing little game. Extremely clever, but perhaps a little too clever for it's own good as some of the 'puzzles' are batshit insane hard. I'm finding navigating the world very confusing and frustrating - basically ending up going through random doors until I find a new area I haven't visited yet. I can't tell if it's designed to be this disorienting or if I'm just stupid.

grthink

Started 'Sleeping Dogs' -- it's more of the same GTA "walk around the city, beating people up" but with a similar fighting style to the Arkham Asylum/City games. It's OK so far. It kept me up until 2pm so it must be doing something right.

Before that I finished Lego Batman 2, which was OK-ish. The only other Lego Game I played in earnest was The Complete Star Wars and I think that was much better executed. Lego Batman 2 dragged a little once the story was finished, and so many of the collectible figures were useless, it felt like an anti-climax to collect them. Oh, and every time you fly as Superman it plays the Superman theme, which I found really, really irritating.

And before that was Assassin's Creed Revelations, which is more of the same Assassin's Creed. Wasn't a fan of the new 'den defence' minigame, but otherwise it was OK. Still have a few missions to go that I've not gotten around to doing, but I'll be glad to move off from Ezio's story when AC3 rolls out.

I, Cosh

I've been really struggling to find any games to hold my interest lately. I've tried demos of, among others, Deadlight, Dust, Fez and Spelunky. Didn't like any of them, although I did find Mark of the Ninja reasonably fun so might buy that at some point.

A mate was over the other weekend and, after a couple of beers, he got me to download Tony Hawk HD which is great fun but essentially replaying games we loved fifteen years ago with a worse controller.

Who can help me?
We never really die.

radiator

Have you played Trials HD or Trials: Evolution?

Limbo?

JamesC

I played Ghost Recon Future Soldier and really liked it. It's sort of 'Rainbow 6 lite' - a squad based third person shooter with a bit of light strategy thrown in - the co-op multiplayer is supposed to be fun but I haven't tried it yet.

If you like action shooters I'd recommend Vanquish. One of my favourite games this generation - very fast paced and just great fun. Single player only though.

Sleeping Dogs is also quite fun. I like the story and the Hong Kong vibe is great.

For a quick five minute blast I really like NHL 2011. I'm not normally a big fan of sports games but hockey doesn't seem to have many rules and it's very fast paced. NHL 2013 is supposed to be ace.

As for XBLA you can't go wrong with PacMan Championship Edition DX. It's a totally different game to traditional Pacman and is really addictive.

Satanist

Cosh - That adventure game on steam is called Resonance
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 26 September, 2012, 02:12:59 PM
Have you played Trials HD or Trials: Evolution? Limbo?
Didn't like the first Trials at all. Think I have Limbo on Steam, might give it a try again.

My favourite games are still shootemups while the things I've enjoyed most in recent memory are Child of Eden, Super Meat Boy and Arkham Asylum. Actually, I still haven't gotten round to getting Arkham City. That's worth a try.

Quote from: Satanist on 26 September, 2012, 03:32:24 PM
Cosh - That adventure game on steam is called Resonance
Nice one. Sounds pretty cool. Will give it a go once I sort out a computer with a proper screen and the internet again.
We never really die.

radiator

Shadow Complex?

Bastion?

Rez HD?

I like the look of Mark of the Ninja - I usually despise stealth games, but this looks like stealth done right.

grthink

Cosh - Arkham City is definitely worth a go. Whether you pay extra for the Catwoman content is up to you though.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 27 September, 2012, 12:21:25 PM
Shadow Complex?
Finished that. Liked it quite a bit as it reminded me of some of my favourite BBC Micro era arcade adventure type games. Had actually thought Deadlight was going to be in the same vein but it didn't seem to be.
Quote from: radiator on 27 September, 2012, 12:21:25 PMBastion?
Quite liked that, despite the grating narration. However, I did the thing I'm always doing of getting to the stage just before the last showdown then going back to try and get all the extras and side missions then losing interest and forgetting about it for a few weeks and now having no idea of the controls or abilities. See also: Okami, Psychonauts, etc...
Quote from: radiator on 27 September, 2012, 12:21:25 PMRez HD?
I've thought of that but I still have the PS2 version and have never managed to get the ultimate completion (100% in all zones in a single run) on that so it wouldn't feel right to start it on another platform.

I see Jet Set Radio's getting an XBLA release. Never played that so might give it a go.

Quote from: grthink on 27 September, 2012, 12:45:34 PM
Cosh - Arkham City is definitely worth a go. Whether you pay extra for the Catwoman content is up to you though.
See, I've actually been holding out for a definitive edition with all the DLC included but I might just give in and buy it.
We never really die.

NapalmKev

Left 4 Dead 2. Been playing on and off since release day (yeah I know it's old). Absolutely amazing game if played online (team vs) and 3 download packs available. Probably the most intense FPS I've ever played (even surpassing the mighty 'Black Ops').

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

Some DL games in the Shadow Complex mode would be Shoot Many Robots and Outland, though I haven't played more than the first couple of levels of either, so can't say much beyond that.  Enjoyable so far, though.

Tokyo Jungle, where humans have buggered off the Earth and you play as one of the animals left behind in a Tokyo slowly being reclaimed by nature.
You wander around a sandbox playing area hunting smaller animals for food and marking territory until this makes you impressive enough that a lass of your species lets you take her back to yours so you can sire pups, whom you then control as a pack, ostensibly to wander beyond the territory held by your parents and take that from whatever species dominates, be it bears, alligators or lions or whatever, essentially working your way up the food chain over generations by siring stronger offspring to take control of so that eventually you can graduate from fights against rabbits and cats to taking on chimps, bulls, giraffes and supposedly even a dinosaur somewhere or other in the game area.

Despite the high concept, it's very old-school gaming which basically lets you engineer fights between a bull and a bear without getting locked up, and answers that age-old question of who would win in a fight between an alligator and a Pomeranian*.  Highly recommended if you like your gaming stripped-back to the bones and made to pick up and play rather than immerse yourself for hours (though that's possible too - it's just not essential), it's good to see a game that's tricky but not frustrating to the point I managed to get a Pomeranian to its 11th generation over 45 game years and then got utterly massacred when I thought I could take a bear, and I just laughed it off and had another go.
It's great fun, and an antidote to the awful Duke Nukem Forever - which as mentioned was awful, but the DLC was much better than the actual game, even if the end boss entailed you ramming a truck into a vagina and then shooting ovaries.  I do not mean that the orifice in question resembled the shape of a vagina, either, I mean it is an actual vagina and your aim is to inflict violence upon it, a paradigm for some of my problems with the rest of the game's content which sadly went too far in the wrong direction away from schoolboy smut to misogyny and homophobia.  Some of the level design was a bit vague, too.
Not great.

* The alligator - are you insane?

Satanist

If you liked Shadow Complex give Castlevania-Symphony of the Night a bash. Its old and tough but very rewarding. Id never played it before but loved it when it finally clicked.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

QuoteI see Jet Set Radio's getting an XBLA release. Never played that so might give it a go.

I remember Jet Set Radio being quite a really frustrating experience. Incredible graphics and design, but the way it's structured - with very strict, Crazy Taxi style time limits to complete a stage - made it a bitch to play. You just want to relax and explore this lovely pop-art Tokyo, but you're constantly being hassled by the time limit, or some really irritating bad guy, or both.

The Xbox sequel, Jet Set Radio Future, was fantastic and the game the original should have been. Think it'll run on 360 if you can find a copy.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 September, 2012, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: grthink on 27 September, 2012, 12:45:34 PM
See, I've actually been holding out for a definitive edition with all the DLC included but I might just give in and buy it.

What format you playing on? The game of the year edition has (I think) all the DLC. It certainly has the Catwoman episodes and the Harley Quinn's Revenge pack. It's a great game, if you enjoyed Asylum you'll love it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Arkham-City-Game-Edition/dp/B009698ZKS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348764137&sr=8-2