Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well i'm sure you guys will 'love' Tonto and his sidkick The Lone Ranger. :lol:

Dandontdare

watched Alien Resurrection again on telly last night - apart from the last half hour with that totally non-scary alien-hybrid thing, it wasn't half as bad as I remembered.

I, Cosh

Half watching Waterworld while fannying about in the flat. Never understood why it got such a bad press. I mean, it's a shitload better than Independence Day or Men in Black.

Last film I properly watched all the way through was The Raid, when I got the DVD back from my pal last week. Turns out it's still better than Dredd.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 July, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Tim Burton once made a movie called Beetlejuice. It was good. The end.

I quite enjoyed Nightmare Before Christmas

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 July, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
I've no idea why people like Michael Bay geta so much shit yet Burton gets away unscathed knocking dross out.

To be fair, even though he has made some amount of shite, at least Burton can construct coherent scenes.

Real Steel

I don't know what to say about this. I enjoyed it, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I was looking to watch something unchallenging and stupid. Now, it wasn't smart or clever, but it wasn't entirely idiotic. Very idiotic, but not entirely. I think I was just in the right frame of mind while watching, and had absolutely no expectations. I just wanted to see robots beat each up, and it succeeded in that respect, and to a greater degree than Bay achieved in three movies about giant robots fighting.

BUT

There was an annoying kid, who achieved Jake Lloyd levels of precocious brat, and the plot suggested robots replaced human boxers because ravening boxing fans didn't appreciate the sport and just wanted to see two combatants tear lumps out of each other.

I reckon kids would love it.
You may quote me on that.

sheldipez

I like Nightmare before Christmas too but Burton had little to do with it other than character designs and plaster his name all over it.

Charlie boy

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 July, 2013, 01:01:13 AM
I like Nightmare before Christmas too but Burton had little to do with it other than character designs and plaster his name all over it.
The sheer joy of seeing I'm not the only person that says this!
He's (Burton) fallen into something of a habit with making a bad film and following it with an animated followup as if to try and win back kudos by shouting "You like Nightmare Before Christmas- love this!"

Recrewt

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 July, 2013, 11:43:11 PM
Half watching Waterworld while fannying about in the flat. Never understood why it got such a bad press. I mean, it's a shitload better than Independence Day or Men in Black.

As I recall back when it was made mid 90s Waterworld was well publicised as being the most expensive film ever made - something in the region of $230 million including marketing and such.  It's inevitable with all the news surrounding it that some folks are going to be disappointed knowing that the most money has been spent (not that money spent is always an indicator of quality). 

I thought it was OK but nothing amazing, something I would watch if it came on TV. 

Link Prime

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 July, 2013, 12:59:50 PM

As I recall back when it was made mid 90s Waterworld was well publicised as being the most expensive film ever made - something in the region of $230 million including marketing and such. 

The Simpsons skit on this (Milhouse pumping 40 quarters into the arcade game only to have have the Kevin Costner character take two steps before "Game Over") is one of their most observantly genius gags ever.

radiator

QuoteThe Simpsons skit on this (Milhouse pumping 40 quarters into the arcade game only to have have the Kevin Costner character take two steps before "Game Over") is one of their most observantly genius gags ever.

Crucially, he then whinges, but then proceeds to sink yet more money into it!

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 19 July, 2013, 01:16:56 PM
QuoteThe Simpsons skit on this (Milhouse pumping 40 quarters into the arcade game only to have have the Kevin Costner character take two steps before "Game Over") is one of their most observantly genius gags ever.

Crucially, he then whinges, but then proceeds to sink yet more money into it!

Yeah...brilliant; "Game Over: Insert 40 quarters".

JamesC

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 July, 2013, 12:59:50 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 18 July, 2013, 11:43:11 PM

As I recall back when it was made mid 90s Waterworld was well publicised as being the most expensive film ever made - something in the region of $230 million including marketing and such.  It's inevitable with all the news surrounding it that some folks are going to be disappointed knowing that the most money has been spent (not that money spent is always an indicator of quality). 

I thought it was OK but nothing amazing, something I would watch if it came on TV.

It was also quite widely compared to Mad Max which famously cost very little to make. I believe Mad Max 2 held the record for having the highest profit to cost ratio for quite a few years.

It sort of begs the question that if you can make a great apocalyptic movie for peanuts why spend 200 million on a rip off?

Now I'm not saying that Waterworld is a Mad Max rip off but I certainly remember that being a pretty common opinion at the time. Also, Waterword definitely owes something to Mad Max in terms of production design and the 'cobbled together out of junk' aesthetic seems to work better with cars and motorbikes than it does with jet skis and speed boats.

Spikes

Yeah, ive always liked Waterworld, and usually catch it when its on telly, and that Simpsons skit is funny, isnt it.
Think at the time there was a bit of a Costner backlash going on, plus didnt the film go way over budget, plus all the other rumours of it being a troubled shoot making the news...

But to watch it, its a fun film. Quite like the other post-apocalyptic film he did as well. The Postman, which received a lot of stick, as well.

Silent_Bomber

and the fact that he wrote the entire plot.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Silent_Bomber on 19 July, 2013, 09:34:35 PM
and the fact that he wrote the entire plot.
Here's a challenge just for you, Silent_Bomber. It's an easy challenge, so don't worry about it too much.
Pick a film. Pick any film you can think of. Now make a mental note of the plot.
You've got what- 4, 5 sentences in your head now?
By all means, Burton would have given them character designs and the plot.  But the person behind the screenplay is what fleshed that rough, small plot out. Then the director would have done a lot. Acting as producer, Burton may have popped up here and there and said "Change that line, switch that scene to here" but saying somebody wrote "the entire plot" can prove to be a huge exaggeration on what they actually did towards the finished article.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Charlie boy on 19 July, 2013, 10:53:35 PM
Burton may have popped up here and there and said "Change that line, switch that scene to here" but saying somebody wrote "the entire plot" can prove to be a huge exaggeration on what they actually did towards the finished article.

As can saying producers only 'pop up here and there', I've known a fair few who basically overrode the director/DOP/star/designer in all things at one point or another.  Usually they are writer/producers or actor/producers, but normal ones can do it too. 

Oh, and this comment is in no way falling on one side or the other of the current debate regarding Burtons directorial, writing, or producer skillsets. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!