Main Menu

Apocalypse War vs Day of Chaos - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 April, 2021, 06:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Apocalypse War - simply because it's the best Dredd for story, art and world building. I've also read it through 20 times. D of C is top work but I've probably only been though it a couple of times. AP is the iconic, archetypal Dredd.

sheridan

Quote from: Buttonman on 10 April, 2021, 12:06:24 AM
Apocalypse War - simply because it's the best Dredd for story, art and world building. I've also read it through 20 times. D of C is top work but I've probably only been though it a couple of times. AP is the iconic, archetypal Dredd.

You must have started at the end - there's no worldbuilding in The Apocalypse War - plenty of world-destroying though (including one entire alternate Earth).

Buttonman

You know what I mean! The previously one dimensional Sovs are fleshed out and we get a full look at the geo-politics in place with early looks at Texas and Mega City 2 as well as the Judge's capabilities undersea and in space. Also TADS, Stub guns, Stratos-Vs - loads of stuff!

TordelBack

We also see what CitiDef are actually for, apart from going crazy and killing each other, and see the creation of the city we know (knew?), with its rad-zones, ruined blocks, isolated Hab-zones and convenient truncation of the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.

WhizzBang

Also, destroying MC1 was world building in itself as it created a rich vein of stories as the city adapted to cope with the new fallout (pun intended) from the war. I don't think any other epic has had quite such mileage achieved from following up the consequnces of the events.

GoGilesGo

Very tough pair to vote on.

DoC is tremendous from beginning to end, the pace is thrilling, the politics are handled beautifully and in Wile and Haldane we witness the two most destructive and terrifying enemies MC1 has ever faced.

However, as has been mentioned earlier on the thread, without Apocalypse War there would be no Day of Chaos.

So my vote has to be for Apocalypse War

sheridan

The post-Apocalypse War era was where I came in.  (Among) my first stories were Night of the Rad-Beast, Cry of the Werewolf, The Prankster, The Wreckers, Requiem for a Heavyweight - all tales which had that background.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well the first three Quarter Finals put pay to the three highest seeded Epics, those being the top three from AlexF's list. Then the fouth seed came up against the biggest modern day Epic, indeed the biggest Epic of them all on just about all metrics in Day of Chaos. There seemed little chance that we would get a clean sweep... well except for the small fact that 4th Seed was a small matter of the Apocalypse War (inc Block Mania) and of course there no epic as loved as that... well maybe, we'll find out as

Apocalypse Wars (inc Block Mania)

sweeps into the semi-finals and Day of Chaos has to settle for 5th-12th Place Play-off.

Tjm86

Let's be honest, we all know that Apocalypse War is going to win this, hands down.  Not just this round either.  Easier to acknowledge this right now and focus on who are going to be the runners up.

You have the Grover / Ezquerra team at their absolute pinnacle.  More iconic scenes than you can shake a stick at, death and destruction on a massive scale, Dredd's drive and determination to do whatever it takes to protect his city ... and that's just focusing on the main tale.

Expand to include Block Mania and you add in a roster of the greatest Dredd artists of all time.  Even more iconic scenes, death and destruction, "I'm with Rowdy Yates ..."

Let's face it, AW / BM is the yard stick against which all other 'epics' are judged.  It's legacy has been felt for literally decades.  It is a seminal piece of work.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

broodblik

Quote from: BPP on 11 April, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 11 April, 2021, 10:31:43 AM
Yip, this is going to be one-horse race

No, that was Titan/Enceladus.

Enceladus the prequel to "They shoot talking horses, don't they?"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 11 April, 2021, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: BPP on 11 April, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 11 April, 2021, 10:31:43 AM
Yip, this is going to be one-horse race

No, that was Titan/Enceladus.

Enceladus the prequel to "They shoot talking horses, don't they?"

Nah, that was The Black Plague.