Main Menu

Mega-Epic Originality

Started by Funt Solo, 23 June, 2005, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

The Pit was the first epic since The Apocalypse War that wasn't trying to outdo it.

Total War is the most original Mini-Mega-Epic since The Pit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dark Jimbo

I dunno, i thought Sin City a few years back was pretty darn good...
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Sin City was bloody good, yes.  I'd forgotten about that.  The threat looms on the horizon, but never really gets to the city.  With Total War, the threat dents the city, but doesn't overpower it.

With the short-lived City Of The Damned, Necropolis, the Nero Narcos thing and Judgement Day, the city is always completely overpowered for a short time.  All very samey, really, in terms of the overall structure (as has been pointed out).  You just swap who invades, which long-standing characters get offed and who teams up with Dredd for the re-take.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WoD

If you want originality set it in Cymru-Cit...no really...aww go on...please...

Keef Monkey

The mega epics are always a blast, I even enjoy the ones that aren't that special. Love the thrill when the start and you don't really know where you're gonna wind up a bazillion episodes later. Never been a huge fan of the one off Dredd's so it means there won't be none of them for a while which is nice.

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, i like the thrill (no pun intended) of the opening episodes, knowing there are still some 15 parts or something, and wondering what's gonna happen and how everything's going to come together.

(The Nimrod storyline in Total War, for instance, left me completely baffled as to its relevance until right at the end).
@jamesfeistdraws

Endjinn

Necropolis was a Monster! The whole Oz-pre-amble was just starting when In started reading, so I'll always have great memories of that one.

Tordelbach

For my money the most disappointing Mega Epic was 'Doomsday' (by no means the worst (it was good fun, and had its moments), but definitely the one that fell furthest short of expectations - I mean, who expected anything of 'Inferno'?).  

The long-term build-up was so good, the plot so clever, the villains so full of potential (Narcos, Robots Gone Bad AND Orlok!), the "heroes at risk" so well established (deMarco, Guthrie, Edgar, Volt) and yet it just fizzled out into a big fight with lots rather boring wardroids and Anderson as deus-ex-machina/sonic screwdriver.  

I know that this was addressed within the story by Narcos' musings over how anticlimactic his takeover was, but I can't help thinking that leaving the wardoids out of it and just using Narcos-controlled regular droids and exploding lawgivers, with a much longer period of Friendz rule and genuine guerilla struggle (maybe even the mass of the people demanding the Judges back, or better yet NOT wanting thme back and evelling in the criminality, but having the Judegs make a forcible takeover?).