Started by DavidXBrunt, 25 June, 2005, 05:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

'I get the feeling he just took a slaine shot and stuck on a pigs head.'

Looks that way to me!
The axe handle is strangly bent, too.

The Amstor Computer

-- The axe handle is strangly bent, too

Not to mention that the arm is in an impossible position...

Aaron Smurf Murphy

?60 quid per job, per page. So most tooth artists do pencil and inks which makes 120 a pop (fully painted work is payed 180 I think).

No idea if the rate rises for artists who can really pull in readers.

Finnigan Sinister

Adrian Bamforth

On a serious note it may be the case that Dom's art is uncolourable (though if you're out there Dom I'll be willing to give it a try).

ADE

Carlsborg Expert

Tooth does not pay that well.

Truth be known.

The Amstor Computer

Nope, I don't think that's a problem.

As well as the fantastic painted Caballistics piece (the one Tharg decided was best used stuck on the inside back page of a prog...) Dom's bloody good at computer-colouring his own B&W work:

After

Art

Not entirely sure that yankie comics pay better per page, but there are more pages.

jock

longmanshort

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Funt Solo

Welcome to the "another opportunity to bash Langley" thread.  Yes, that's right, sports fans, Langley Bashing (now recognised as an olympic event) is reaching all new highs of stagnation this week with hardly any new criticisms at all.  It's very much whatever worked last season, with only thinly veiled improvements on old favourites such as the photoshop-dig and the classic just doesn't look right.

Some surprise here though, that the use of flame-effects haven't been targeted directly, but there's still time for someone to bring up the rear with some kind of "sick and tired of flaming photoshoppery" comment.

In fact the only thing that marks this mountain of criticism apart from similar mountains that erupt whenever Langley draws anything in 2000AD is the unfair comparison to the completely different style of Dom Reardon.

Join us next time, sports fans, for (let's face it) a lot more of the same.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

paulvonscott

I dunno, I think it's just because it's a bit too close to the Slaine territory we've seen.

Wils

Welcome to the "another opportunity to bash Langley" thread.

So we're not allowed an opinion if we don't like Langley's stuff for *whatever* reason? Fuck off.

Bico

I suppose it's quite effective to a casual browser of the newsy shelves, but the 'Too much Langley' complaint is certainly valid - he does do a lot of covers.  He knows his way around Photoshop, and the semi-realistic look is great for attracting kids to buy the book, but there ain't any of that art in the actual comic itself, which casual browsers can discover by flicking through the pages before they take the book to the counter and pay for it.
Langley's art tends to look too 'static' for my liking - all that action in the Slaine books and you couldn't really get any sense that stuff was flying about and heads were coming off everywhere.  But that kind of photoshoppery would look great over more fast-paced layouts, I reckon.

Funt Solo

:: "So we're not allowed an opinion ... Fuck off."

Of course "we" are, and that was just my opinion.  Fuck off yourself.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

longmanshort

Calm it down there ...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WAAIA5YbQfFmLCADOqWEqt9jUkKSRXBD7i47FtxduGGxJaLlYOVUcFhE2W!INpHzWDexfBHs9hg3pSPnMr9WT2Cf3rozCRRAPbKIWvJieW0s7AYTW3pPin4DLm4PJJA2MgAAAP****8/handbags.gif">

;P
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++