Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

re cash on demand

what a fab trailer - couldn't find anywhere to stream it though!

i'm guessing harry enfield & paul whitehouse may have stolen Andre Morrell's annunciation - especially the word "money" for their b/w sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a0odh8ro08
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 04 June, 2021, 02:13:04 PM
re cash on demand

what a fab trailer - couldn't find anywhere to stream it though!

i'm guessing harry enfield & paul whitehouse may have stolen Andre Morrell's annunciation - especially the word "money" for their b/w sketch

Ahaha - I love those sketches!  :lol:

The whole film's on YouTube, if you're so inclined.
@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

Extreme Measures

Hugh Grant in his typically out of place, miserable, yet sympathetic role. Plays an emergency room doctor whose life turns into a real mess when he starts to dig in into a homeless patient that died while being treated in the emergency room. I must say, it's a solid, but a rather disappointing thriller. It builds suspense gradually, posing provocative questions about medical ethics procedures, but then breaks apart in the third act, as if filmmakers were more interested in doing typical man on the run film. . And Gene Hackman plays a rather cliched antagonist, who is more like "I know that what am I doing is bad, but feck it". I wish the movie dealt more with these themes. Therefore, my mantra- "trust the science absolutely. Trust the scientist? It depends on the scientist" feels let down here.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tiplodocus

ARMY OF THE DEAD

[spoiler]robot zombie[/spoiler]? If it's the blink and you miss it bit I'm thinking about, I rationalized that as the effect of one of Guzman's incendiary/tracer bullets in a headshot.

Anyway, not a lot more to be said... it's pretty much Aliens with Zombies. Waaay too long for no reason. And pretty dull for the two hours between the marvellous opening titles and the climax.

More like  "Shit of the dead".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

At the other end of the scale, very amusing Japanese Zombie movie "One Cut of the Dead"  is well worth 90 minutes of your time. Just make sure you go in cold, avoid all spoilers and know only the brief synopsis that a small indie film crew making a Zombie film, get attacked by Zombies...

More like "One cut of the... <<insert name of something fantastic>>".  Pizza? Freshly baked Granary bread? Tarka Daal? Hummous? The view of Arran you get from Cumbrae as you round the top of the island having cycled anti-clockwise out of Millport? A cold beer on a hot summer's day? A hot coffee on a cold winter's morn? Ten minutes undisturbed in your favourite armchair? That girl in the brown Elesse top that I danced with thirty years ago in Sankey's Soap...

wedgeski

Oxygene, Netflix. Great little sci-fi mystery box. Melanie Laurent superb. Keeps you guessing. Make sure you watch with subtitles, not dubbing.

karlos

Highlander on Netflix.

Saw it on it's initial release and every few years since.

You all know it and probably love it as much as I do.

It really is still as great as it ever was.

It's latest remake talk sees Henry Cavill involved. It'll never happen of course, and it absolutely doesn't need to.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Useless bit of trivia for you: Clancy Brown who plays The Kurgan, went on to voice Mr Krabs in Spongebob Squarepants
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

Oddly enough, last time I watched Highlander I didn't  love it. It was much noisier (And not nice noise) than I remembered.

karlos

Clancy Brown's filmography is a thing to behold.  The man is phenomenal (and genuinely made me queasy when I first saw Highlander as a kid).

I understand what you mean, Tiplodocus.  The last time I saw it, about a year ago, it just failed to click with me as it normally did.  I couldn't work out why.  It IS very soundtrack heavy, that's for sure (a part of Mulcahy's pop video directing roots, no doubt). This time around I loved it again.

wedgeski

It was a staple of drunk Saturday nights with my mates at uni. I re-watched it a couple of years ago, and *apart* from Clancey Brown, I found it pretty bad. We're spoiled for amazing fight choreography these days, and what's there doesn't exactly zing (except for the OTT sound effects). I'd be up for a remake.

milstar

Highlander is perhaps if not in mine if not top 5, then top 10 movies. A fairly tale for grown-ups, cool sword fights, epic story, romantic subplot, outcast protagonist, amazing antagonist (I personally consider Kurgan one of the three top villains in cinema) and the Queen soundtrack. What's not to love? Oh, and when Connor says goodbye to Rachel - one of the saddest and poignant scenes I ever saw.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

karlos

[spoiler]Another reason to hate the sequels...they kill Rachel off and then, about 10 minutes later, kill Connor off as well (in part 4, I think.)[/spoiler]

pictsy

I really enjoy Highlander but I've never thought it wasn't silly and ropey.  That's part of the fun, right?

I keep thinking I should rewatch the second film.  Maybe I will tomorrow.

karlos

Highlander 2 is endlessly fascinating to me: a truly terrible sequel that somehow manages  to still be entertaining (sometimes legitimately, sometimes because it's SO laughable).