Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Far From Home was the last Marvel film I bothered watching.  After not enjoying the Avengers films that came before it I realised I just didn't have the energy for those films any more.

But I did have the energy to watch all the Trancers films that stared Tim Thomerson.  My favourite was Trancers 3 and Andrew Robinson's entertaining performance.  Good times.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pictsy on 07 January, 2024, 09:45:43 AMFar From Home was the last Marvel film I bothered watching.  After not enjoying the Avengers films that came before it I realised I just didn't have the energy for those films any more.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 January, 2024, 12:07:27 AMSpiderman: Far from Home

Watched with some friends and with the aid of 'ahem' nondescript substances, which is probably the ideal way to experience it.
Absolute pap (but you already knew that, right?) but it is admittedly fun being in a room with people who are heavily invested in that sort of thing and enthused for the offerings of memberberries.

I'm seriously no fan no of almost all the Marvel and DC films, have watched chunks via the boy child and curiousity but often don't bother to make it through BUT the third Tom Holland Spidey 'No Way Home' is seriously brilliant and probably my fav Superhero movie after Mystery Men. I say stick with it for that one!

pictsy

I remember Mystery Men being fun.  Haven't seen it in years.  Could have aged terribly.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pictsy on 07 January, 2024, 11:47:47 AMI remember Mystery Men being fun.  Haven't seen it in years.  Could have aged terribly.

Not seen it for a while and have a horrible feeling you might be right!

The Legendary Shark

Justice League - Crisis on Infinite Earths (Part I)

Nope.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Le Fink

Went to the cinema for the first time since the pandemic to see:

Poor Things

The design is superb - lots of strange and wonderful things to look at. Worth watching on the big screen. Emma Stone is luminous and makes you root for her character, Bella. Willem Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo are terrific and it's very funny. And a bit disturbing, which is typical for Yorgos Lanthimos. See: Dogtooth.

Note: It's an 18 for language and sexual content. And it's a bit long (2 hours 20 minutes).

Recommended!

Marbles

Saw The Holdovers which was excellent - warm, funny and uplifting - the perfect antidote to January blues  :thumbsup:
Remember - dry hair is for squids

karlos

Morbius (2023)

Bloody Nora.

The Legendary Shark

The King. Some decent battle scenes but, on the whole, Shakespeare did it way better (with a little help from Kenneth Branagh).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

SALTBURN

Fuck oooooofffff.
Fuck off fuck off fuck off.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 January, 2024, 02:52:49 PMSALTBURN

Fuck oooooofffff.

Really? Why? I haven't seen it, just wondering. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 January, 2024, 08:25:41 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 January, 2024, 02:52:49 PMSALTBURN

Fuck oooooofffff.

Really? Why? I haven't seen it, just wondering. 

To boil it down into as few words as possible, Fennell as a writer/director makes no bones about her opinions on class politics. The lower class' are subhuman, basically parasitic organisms on the underbelly of the upper class. The hyper rich are bad but not because they horde all the wealth and work the lower class' to death, but because they indulge in promiscuous and corrupting gay sex (???) and only the morally righteous upper-middle class' (specifically from well educated Oxbridge backgrounds) who are just the right kind of rich have a moral imperative to dominion in society. There's no yoink and twist here, this is just how the director views the world. Just fuck off Emerald Fennell, fuck right off.
Her Promising Young Woman from 2020 was equally as repugnant in its gender politics, easily the worst director getting major work in the game right now.
Oh but her films are vaguely competently shot and depict the most benign of transgressions for wan shock factor, so of course people are lapping it up for 'aesthetics'. Fucking embarrassing.

JayzusB.Christ

Fair enough. Haven't seen it, as I said, but the trailer seems to match your description, and I honestly don't doubt what you're saying.

I have to admit I was more shocked to see how big Barry Keoghan had become while I wasn't looking. I saw him playing a fairly minor role in an RTE crime drama years ago, and I thought he'd just picked up a couple of bit parts here and there since - suddenly I discover he was the Joker in the last Batman film.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

THE SETTLERS (2023)

May not scratch the itch for those looking for a thorough breed Chilean acid western (though the shadow of Brazils Glauber Rocha looms throughout the film) but it wears those influences on its sleeve while offering the sort of prestige 'chic' you'd come to expect from a MUBI production. It's a harrowing affair, that largely seemed content wallowing in that misery until that final, brilliant sequence 'At The End of the Earth' took this from an exercise in colonial melancholy to something far more primal. A magnetic last half hour to this one.

THE IRON CLAW (2023)

Fucking insufferable! House of Gucci levels of collective incompetents yet way, way less funny. It's made all the more interminable by the fact everyone playing it so straight, Aaron Dean Eisenberg at least was buying into the schtick and went full ham with both Ric Flairs on-and-off stage personas, this is wrestling camp it up a little!
By the time we reached the Harold and Maude-esque caravan of suicide (not a spoiler it's in the fucking trailer, shut up) I was completely checked out and started revisiting the finale to Ultraman Blazar in my mind. It's a good show, check it out. Looked at my phone (never a good sign when my patience is tested to such a degree) mortified to see there was another hour and change left! This must be how it feels to function in a hyperbolic time chamber.

The Legendary Shark

Gods of the Deep (2023). Unmitigated piffle from start to finish.

Bring him to Me (2023). Under orders from a ruthless crime boss, a getaway driver must battle his conscience and drive an unsuspecting crew member to an ambush execution. There is a long drive - and a really good film - ahead. Enjoyed this one a lot.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]