Main Menu

RIP John Hicklenton

Started by Robo-K33F, 23 March, 2010, 08:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Yesterday Clint Langley sent me some never before seen Hicklenton work for the blog, my god it's amazing! I'm waiting on a tiny bit more then it'll be up.

Large48

Having seen the 100 Months artwork in the flesh so to speak, I can only say its a godzillion (i.e. lots!) better than the book, even though the book is VERY well produced and should immediately be baught by everyone!

Johhny RIP
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Greg M.

Of all the original art I have owned or seen, never has there been a bigger contrast between what it looks like published and what it looks like 'in the flesh' as with Hicklenton. I liked his mad, twisted creations when I was younger, and used to try and draw warped-looking depictions of Torquemada in his style (but obviously without his talent or knowledge of anatomy!) but I won't pretend he was someone I'd have said was one of my absolute favourites. But recently, I got some of his original Nemesis pages, and was genuinely blown away. Those of us who collect original art know the thrill of seeing the additional level of detail in the original pieces... with the Hicklenton pages, the level of detail was truly astonishing. It is really striking just how much was lost in the transition to the printed pages. Up until that point, I'd have said I thought he was a great artist. After that... he pretty much rose to the status of genius in my eyes.

Emperor

There is a piece in the Herald Scotland:

www.heraldscotland.com/life-style/real-lives/how-2000ad-artist-and-ms-sufferer-john-hicklenton-chose-to-end-his-life-1.1072785
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Pete Wells on 09 December, 2010, 06:29:40 AM
Yesterday Clint Langley sent me some never before seen Hicklenton work for the blog, my god it's amazing! I'm waiting on a tiny bit more then it'll be up.

Not... (gasp)Tyranny Rex???
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Emperor

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 23 March, 2010, 07:37:54 PMStrange Cases
Skin Games
Meg 1.17

This just popped up online, suitably grotesque:

http://grantbridgestreet.blogspot.com/2011/01/judge-dredd-in-skin-games-by-john-smith.html

Any chance of a Meg supplement of the Strange Cases? Ellis' first work in 200AD and a range of quality creators:

http://2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=Megazine&choice=STRANGE

Some of it is going to be a bit dated and over the top but I'd be up for it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

badstatic

I'm sad to see that he has gone.
John's work was unique and passed my acid test for a comic artist remember recently reading his mean Angel and found myself doing the voices of the characters and only a very few artists can do that to me.
He will be missed.

JUDGE BURNS

yep, I just loved his artwork. It just jumped right out of the page at you.
I had the pleasure of meeting him way back at a 2000ad book signing way back in 1988, so I have 2 books signed by him and other major artists of 2000ad.
They will be cherished possessions within my collection for a long time to come.
RIP  John.

Judge Palmer

John was truly an amazing artist, the first time I saw his work was in Nemesis and Torquemada and it blew me away. His work was gritty, evil, twisted and gruesome in only the way you could depict Nemesis and Torquemada at their worst and best. John will be greatly missed. R.I.P 
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!