Main Menu

New Facebook page "We demand a Sláine movie"

Started by Slaughterbowl1981, 14 April, 2011, 10:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaughterbowl1981

Hi all great to be here, long time fan first time poster :)

Any of you that are on facebook could you please search for a "We demand a Sláine movie" page? I also posted a link to it on the 2000AD facebook page also which might be easier to find. I created it for two reasons, firstly I LOVE Sláine, the violence, the humour, the celtic imagery, references and also the artwork. I think I cried a little when I read the books of invasions. Also I am concerned over the fact that Rebellion is sitting on a goldmine of good stories and characters and for some reason don't have an appointed employee living in L.A. pushing their brand. I really believe it is crazy and shows lack of vision. Who is doing their marketing, branding etc??....possibly a goldfish :) Don't get me wrong I say this with ultimate respect for 2000AD (probably overall the greatest comic book ever) and rebellion who haven't brought out alot of titles but all have been consistently well made. I played dredd vs death to death(pardon the pun) and aliens vs predator2 was awe inspiring at the time. I am saying this because I sit here with the knowledge that if I owned the rights to 2000AD stories and had enough capital and sufficient weight(like a proven company would have) to get in the door with Hollywood execs (maybe someone in legendary pictures) I could really get some amazing pictures made, grow the brand and introduce alot more people to the humour, violence and dystopian fantasy that most of us grew up with. I know most of you could too, so why don't we all get together and get it done. All it takes is some demand, getting the people involved to stay as faithful to the comics as possible and some fearless directing. On that note you should all check out the fan made sláine the horned god fan trailer by Miguel Misas, it just shows you what can be done on a small budget.       

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Slaughterbowl1981 on 14 April, 2011, 10:20:11 PM
I sit here with the knowledge that if I owned the rights to 2000AD stories and had enough capital and sufficient weight(like a proven company would have) to get in the door with Hollywood execs (maybe someone in legendary pictures) I could really get some amazing pictures made, grow the brand and introduce alot more people to the humour, violence and dystopian fantasy that most of us grew up with.

If, if, if...I'm sure there are plenty of Indie comics fans who think the same thing. If you want lots of 2000AD flicks to happen, win the EuroLotto, become a producer, get talented people and start your own company. Do you think Hollywood cares about what any of us thinks or is rational? If 2000AD was shifting millions of progs -how many dedicated fans do you think are out there?- Hollywood might sit up and pay attention otherwise...if you want it done, take your eye off Hollywood, it's not the only game in town.

CrazyFoxMachine

Molch-R

Who is doing their marketing, branding etc??....possibly a goldfish :)       

Yeah, thanks for that.

JOE SOAP

...but your our goldfish and that's all that matters.

Slaughterbowl1981

Wow I didn't expect the hostility, my goldfish remark was facetious and I did make myself clear I was in mucho awe of both the publishing house and Rebellion,meaning no disrespect. I mentioned Hollywood because of the possibility of a big budget which would be nice. I posted here to get a bit of push behind this idea because if enough people supported it, we might all have gotten a great movie out of it and made a great comic book character deservedly more popular. And at the end of the day I don't see any of you guys doing something like trying to get a little social networking behind making a great characters more popular so quit your griping, You don't have to participate if you don't want to but it'd a shame if ye didn't because your all here for the same reason. I'm only doing it out of a genuine love and admiration for the character, it's not like I get anything out of it other than the possible satisfaction of seeing some skulls split open, 2000AD does!! So I suppose what I'm trying to say is "kiss my axe"!!   

Emperor

I have a copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" if you are interested. ;)

The problem is that I can't see any reason Rebellion wouldn't love a hit 2000AD movie every year with the mountains of cash and the boost to the relevant properties that entails but:

• You can't just wish this into life - it takes a tonne of hard work, meeting the right people at the right time and a bucket or two of luck. Is there an example of a big budget film based on a licensed property that came about from a fan campaign? Not to say that you shouldn't try, but don't get annoyed if people don't think it is feasible. Not that you shouldn't give it a try, it can't hurt and perhaps someone might take notice, after all the Judge Minty and Slaine trailers have made a lot of people sit up and pay attention.
  • 2000 AD went all out for the big budget blockbuster Hollywood Judge Dredd movie back in the mid-90s and, when it did poorly, it nearly bankrupted them. They are clearly taking a more measured approach this time that, if things go right, will sow the seeds for future success. I imagine if this works then we will see the kind of interest in the other properties that could see more films in development. After all Duncan Jones has a yearning to make a 2000AD film, as long as the stars align, perhaps we could see something there (Rogue Trooper perhaps?)

So it might take a little while, but once the momentum builds we could see some interesting developments. However, we'll have to be patient.

Any of you that are on facebook could you please search for a "We demand a Sláine movie" page? I also posted a link to it on the 2000AD facebook page also which might be easier to find.

Or provide a link ;)

www.facebook.com/pages/We-demand-a-Sláine-movie/136092589795169

Quote from: Molch-R on 15 April, 2011, 12:41:29 AM

Yeah, thanks for that.

Although to be fair, he is campaigning to get you sent to Hollywood, which is something we all would support ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

O Lucky Stevie!

Godspeed to you on your mission good sir.

May one day you discover the ENTER key.  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

COMMANDO FORCES

Hi Slaughterbowl1981, perhaps you should have had a look around the forum and done a few searches for Slaine before you seemingly tell everyone what to do, in your welcome thread.

This forum is extremely friendly and we don't just chat on here. We meet up at conventions, have meetings all over the country in pubs, push 2000AD through our various blogs, have a regular Wednesday chatroom (which writers and artists join in with), along with many other things, including the fan film Judge Minty, which a few of us are involved in.

So you see, we do quite a few things to support and push the message of 2000AD out there!

Let's hope the initial replies didn't put you off and you  stick around for a while. Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about yourself and your love of 2000AD!

Steve Green

Quote from: Molch-R on 15 April, 2011, 12:41:29 AM

Yeah, thanks for that.

It's a pretty good human costume you've got there Mike  ::)

Richmond Clements

QuoteWow I didn't expect the hostility

Hostility? Really?
Where?

QuoteI posted here to get a bit of push behind this idea because if enough people supported it, we might all have gotten a great movie out of it and made a great comic book character deservedly more popular.

Thing is though, you won't will you? Unless I'm mistaken and there have been previous examples of Hollywood producers seeing a Facebook page asking for a movie to be made and they have said, "Hey! this page has 20,000 people liking it! I shall therefore invest upwards of $100 million in making a movie of said property"?

QuoteAnd at the end of the day I don't see any of you guys doing something like trying to get a little social networking behind making a great characters more popular so quit your griping
Then I would say, with respect, that you are not looking hard enough. Or at all.

Steve Green

Considering you came in feet first, comparing the PR guy who posts here to a goldfish, I think you got off lightly.

Anyway... What Richmond said.

There's no way I could see any producer taking notice of social media campaign - the figures don't stack up especially for the relatively high-budget a 2000AD property would really need for a feature.

However,

What I would be interested in seeing, is whether it was worth producing short film teasers used to promote an IP, just something a bit more lively than a printed pitch, and stick that on youtube.

But as with everything, it's down to whether Rebellion can justify the thousands that would be required to do something worthwhile. The same applies to having someone based in LA.

I think the litmus test of all this will be Dredd, and how that goes.

If you really want to see something, the quickest way is to do it yourself, which is what we are doing for Minty.

mogzilla

step 1: gently remove foot from gob.
step 2: take step back
step 3: start again
step 4: enjoy the nicest forum on t'web
;)

klute

QuoteBut as with everything, it's down to whether Rebellion can justify the thousands that would be required to do something worthwhile. The same applies to having someone based in LA.

I think the litmus test of all this will be Dredd, and how that goes.

Exactly dredd could be a flop surely its better to have one flop than 2 or more? though no flop and a success would be better and open more doors for future projects :)

Not that for a minute im suggesting it will be a flop and if im not mistaken Conan is on teh horizon, again if slaine is even in some ones mind as a film idea they'll will be watching out for this and the reaction.

QuoteConsidering you came in feet first, comparing the PR guy who posts here to a goldfish, I think you got off lightly.
Lightly indeed!
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.