Main Menu

strong women in 2000ad

Started by judge dreddd, 30 November, 2002, 10:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge dreddd

durham red, sinister dexter ( story coming along btw, lot easier to read.. )

what is going on ?

The last bastion of male preserve going all girly ?

Queen Firey-Bou

Jason,
 methinks you want an argument there. find my pic on the fans looking likee thread & back down quickly regarding strong/women & girliness. There is no reasoned debate just emotion reaction & the smell of petrol.

fearsom Bou'

judge dreddd

What i meant is... imagine this.

12 year old kid reading 2000ad.

Ads on tv saying guys sad.
All teachers women saying men are 'waste of space'.

he picks up 2000ad and all these strong women, ok, ok their used to be judge anderson but i mean.. its getting all,well, bossy women around now..

Where can us sad blokes go and feel macho anymore ?

Is that really you with the saw ?

Good job your in the highlands with connor mcloud ( oh yea, every scot knows that line by heart ).

Petrol ?, now now, boudicca I have no legions to rout you, calm down - another man crumbles beneath the onslaught of feminine domination...

Leigh S

Preview picks available at the link below!

Link: http://www.comicon.com/pulse/" target="_blank">http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

IndigoPrime

If anything, 2000 AD lacks strong women; for the most part, it's full of male characters running round shooting people and kicking them in the head.

Smiley

2000AD has always had plenty of strong women. But before any aggro starts are we talking about strong as in positive, independent and free spirited or strong as in hairy Russian shot-putter? There's been lots of both over the years... sometimes in one character.

Queen Firey-Bou

whats wrong with being a shotputter then?

YEs that really is me & my saw. but I'll confess i don't really wear the chainmail bikini & stilettos when felling trees.

The above debate is all indicative of the current confusion about roles & stuff .Is women being in control of their situation really so scary? is blokes being sensitive & intelligent so hard to portray. surely the balance ain't so hard. http://members.lycos.co.uk/peoplesrepublic/shotput2.gif">

judge dreddd

I suppose we are all a mix, hence the weak perp crumbling under judge andersons law boot.

Thinking back, 2000ad had female judges, halo jones long before 'real' equa

judge dreddd

I suppose we are all a mix, hence the weak perp crumbling under judge andersons law boot.

Thinking back, 2000ad had female judges, halo jones long before 'real' equality took place.

Perhaps once again, 2000ad was ahead of its time.

more proof tharg really is from the future...

p.s.
sorry for 2 posts, dam laptops put keys in odd places

judge dreddd

2000ad has always had 'equal women', what we are seeing now are women dressed in leather and being bossy.

is this the future ?
is this extra equality ?
is this the writers fetish ?

El Spurioso

One of the things that really concerns me about the comics industry in general is the lack of female representation.  In its most simplistic form, I suspect the problem comes-down to there not being nearly enough women writing and drawing comics.  But even that isn't really an excuse: 90% of women characters in (mainstream) comics are characterised as men with boobs.  There's a whole host of sub-cliches: the vampish sexual predator, the gun-toting sassy chick, the sword-wielding princess, etc etc etc.  At the end of the day the vast majority of these characters are still being characterised in a typically 'male' way: as predators who will use violence as the quickest and simplest way of solving their problems or getting what they want.  It's the "ug" principal, which works just fine for blokes but - I think - jars with any supposedly female character.  They're supposed to be cleverer and more sensitive than we are, for gawd's sake, not pale echoes with big guns and ridiculously inflated boobage.
(as an aside - it happens in 'comic-book' tv shows as well: look at 'Xena'.  The creators realised their lead character, despite appearances, was about as female as Mike Tyson and had to come-up with the whole 'confused sexuality' rumour-mongering to compensate).

What I'd muuuch prefer to see is female characters displaying *female* behaviour.  I don't want to get drawn into a sexist debate generalising what makes a woman a woman, but I suspect we can all agree there are fundamental differences in the way men and women think and feel.  Whether or not a man could accurately write 'as a woman' is something I can't answer, but in the absence of hoardes of female writers, I'd like to see some people trying.

Slippery PD

And Si once again comes up with a brilliant and thought provoking argument.......

I always thought this is something that writers did as a matter of routine.  Change your lead int a female to give it a new twist...  But Si's correct they just come out with a stereotypical cliche!!!  There just doesnt seem to be enough writers who write good parts for men.  In fact the only person  I can think of who has done it consistantly in comics, is Alan Moore (eg Halo Jones and Mina Murray from LEOG)

We need more women who dont act like men, but that are somehow uniquely women......   Kudos to Si, he tried it in The Scrap and just about pulled it off......

Yer Slippo

Queen Firey-Bou

Si did the scrap? ! way to go, i was really enjoying her character, the way she dug in but was freaked out by the shite.. i felt in the end it suffered from the story getting to big & too heavy too quick, another scenario where the main character becomes martyred etc. is this one of the issues , Is this need for the individual to save the day part of the male thing? Is it the case that women generally play more subtle supportive roles which is why it never sits quite right when they save the day muscles bulging.
I was thinking about a tale from a womans view, but in order to develope character & subtle tensions, you get a story where many readers would winge & say its boring, not enough action....or would you?

did anyone read Iain Banks 'the Business' an example Of COMpletely failing to get inside a womans viewpoint.

John Caliber

I'm not bothered either way, but isn't/wasn't 2000AD supposed to be a boy's comic?

- JC

Link: http://2kadpbem.20m.com" target="_blank">The DICE ORGY

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Queen Firey-Bou