Main Menu

A Couple of Ideas for Rebellion

Started by GrudgeJohnDeed, 11 June, 2018, 03:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogie101

If the TV show became popular then a Dredd open world game "might" be possible. If you think of the distinct characters, settings & storylines available it certainly could be successful. But as already said it would take some serious investment to get it off the ground which is unlikely.

I quite like the idea of a Mass Effect style game for Strontium Dog with you travelling from planet to planet chasing down bounties.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Sandman1 on 19 June, 2018, 11:23:20 PM
I'm quite sure games like Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row even had a way more limited budget than that.   

Sleeping Dogs probably had a comparitively high development budget. It was meant to be True Crime 3 but Activision canned it since they didn't like how much it was costing, until Square Enix picked it up.

There is a world of space between GTAV and other open world games such as say, Witcher 3, but even a budget of £80m is alot. Don't shoot for the stars, aim for the moon and you might get there.

I like the idea of a Telltale style game. Would work really well for Dredd I think.

IndigoPrime

An alternative for a 2000 AD property might be to ditch the open-world-style thing, and run something with more linear action. Shadowgun Legends could be a way to do something with Dredd or (especially) Strontium Dog, although I'll admit I don't know the budget of that game either.

Ultimately, though, games are bloody expensive to make – even ones we consider relatively simple. The infographics surrounding the two Monument Valley games neatly showcase that. And one might surmise that had Judge Dredd vs Zombies done stonkingly well, it wouldn't be alone on the App Store in terms of 2000 AD properties. As for gamebooks, Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106 is gone entirely from the App Store. Drokk!

GrudgeJohnDeed

I wouldn't let any possible under-performance of Dredd vs Zombies dishearten them too much, it was mainly a mobile game which is a different market to consoles and hyper-mega-oversaturated. There's a graveyard somewhere for the thousands of good developers who have tanked their companies straining for a hit on mobile.

IndigoPrime

Mobile is relatively low risk. Once you start heading for console/PC territory, you're into movie-style funding scenarios.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah that graveyard is full of companies much smaller than Rebellion for sure, I just brought it up to illustrate how hard it is to get a hit on mobile.

Sandman1

It's perhaps more feasible to go the Arkham series route: you expand the scope if the first game reaches that coveted success. 
Error...

Sandman1

You could start off with a few interconnected hub areas, like the latest Tomb Raider games. That concept would on the other hand undermine, or maybe entirely cut off, the use of the Lawmaster and a much sought after exploration of Mega-City One.
Error...

Tiplodocus

Are there any Star Trek open world games?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pyroxian

milstar

Strontium Dog I'd love to see as open world rpg.

Judge Dredd... Well, if they could remaster JD vs Death. Improved graphics, ability to play in third person as well as first person, various bonus material. It would be awesome.

Fiends of  the Eastern front as real time strategy.

DeMarco PI as mystery point and click adventure
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: milstar on 08 February, 2021, 04:49:37 PM
Judge Dredd... Well, if they could remaster JD vs Death. Improved graphics, ability to play in third person as well as first person, various bonus material. It would be awesome.

That game had some serious design issues - they gave you a sniper ability in a level that was all tight turns round blind corners.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Smith

Something like TMNT legends or SW Galaxy of heroes with 2000ad characters. Gacha games are always popular.

moly

After dropping down the rabbit hole that is Arkham horror lcg I'm sure this could work really well re worked in a judge dredd setting