Main Menu

Noel Clarke

Started by sheridan, 02 June, 2020, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Years back, I interviewed Graham Linehan. I had a lot of fun. He seemed like a solid guy. He wrote the afterword for a Rebellion book (IIRC, Book of Scars) as well, so someone at 2000 AD must have been a fan too. Were the signs there? I mean, possibly. Some of his writing in hindsight in IT Crowd now doesn't look too good, to say the least. But, mostly, it's impossible to see behind the public shields people put up. Add to that the 'benefit of the doubt' being too broadly and liberally applied for those with power and influence and you end up with the shitshow that's now exploding everywhere.

The question is more what you do when you know. Do you double down on the person? Do you make peace with the property? My wife's a massive HP fan (even if she found some aspects of the... very white/English/bit racist outlook troubling), and is deeply upset by Rowling. Her take: she won't let this sour her love for those books nor her extremely happy memories on seeing the stage show, but she won't fund any further activities Rowling partakes in. That's more or less where I sit right now. (I'm not going to hurl our Firefly DVD into the skip, but fuck Whedon. And had I realised Scott Allie was the guy behind the final BRPD arc before it arrived in my house, I would have skipped over that too, despite really wanting to read the conclusion to that series. Although it was, unfortunately, shite. Clarke? Same thing goes, although I suspect he's going to find getting more work pretty tricky anyway after all this.)

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2021, 10:09:15 AM
Graham Linehan.

God yeah, him too. Comedy idol, the first guy I followed on Twitter. Like a moth, me.

IndigoPrime

Robert Webb, to a lesser extent. I got his book as a gift. And: oh my. It's stuffed with humblebrag and not great depictions of women. Very much the "poor younger me, because girls didn't really fall for me much, on the basis I wasn't very manly, but let me tell you about the next several girls I fucked". Just awful. And then there's all his weirdness about trans and the recent fuck-up on US radio (which is toe-curlingly awful to listen to).

milstar

In hindsight, it seems that entertainment industry is full of these people. I remember the outrage when it was announced that James Gunn is hired to do Suicide Squad 2. I was like, "James Gunn, really?". Same with Warren Ellis. In fact, Warren's case came as a total surprise to me. Considering his feminist activities on social networks. Oh well, live and learn. That's why I say - don't look for the idols for yourself.

Years back, I interviewed Graham Linehan. I had a lot of fun. He seemed like a solid guy. He wrote the afterword for a Rebellion book (IIRC, Book of Scars) as well, so someone at 2000 AD must have been a fan too. Were the signs there? I mean, possibly. Some of his writing in hindsight in IT Crowd now doesn't look too good, to say the least. But, mostly, it's impossible to see behind the public shields people put up. Add to that the 'benefit of the doubt' being too broadly and liberally applied for those with power and influence and you end up with the shitshow that's now exploding everywhere.

The question is more what you do when you know. Do you double down on the person? Do you make peace with the property? My wife's a massive HP fan (even if she found some aspects of the... very white/English/bit racist outlook troubling), and is deeply upset by Rowling. Her take: she won't let this sour her love for those books nor her extremely happy memories on seeing the stage show, but she won't fund any further activities Rowling partakes in. That's more or less where I sit right now. (I'm not going to hurl our Firefly DVD into the skip, but fuck Whedon. And had I realised Scott Allie was the guy behind the final BRPD arc before it arrived in my house, I would have skipped over that too, despite really wanting to read the conclusion to that series. Although it was, unfortunately, shite. Clarke? Same thing goes, although I suspect he's going to find getting more work pretty tricky anyway after all this.)

Who?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

HP: Harry Potter. As in, the most famous children's book series in living memory, written by JK Rowling? There were some movies and videogames, I believe.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I thought you were referring to Howard Phillip Lovecraft.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

To me, the product is fantasy, the producer is reality. One takes from the fantasy world the aspects one likes and rejects the rest. The same with reality. The dreams of madmen and fiends are as valid as the dreams of paragons and angels.

If one enjoys the dream but despises the dreamer, well, that's what Pirate Bay is for...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

Quote from: Mister Pops on 11 May, 2021, 01:04:14 PM
I thought you were referring to Howard Phillip Lovecraft.

Yeah... I suspected it was him, but wasn't sure. Indigo's description was pretty much HPL
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

Really? When the next bit said:

"and is deeply upset by Rowling. Her take: she won't let this sour her love for those books nor her extremely happy memories on seeing the stage show, but she won't fund any further activities Rowling partakes in."

Is there some renowned Lovecraft stage show I haven't heard about? That would be quite something, admittedly.

milstar

No, but I thought of Howie when you mentioned

(even if she found some aspects of the... very white/English/bit racist outlook troubling),

The Legendary Shark

The Cats of Cthulhu, obvs. I'll get me slimy, timeless, indescribable horror of a coat...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Joseph and the Amazing Dunwich Horror.
At the Mousetrap of Madness.

The Legendary Shark

The Reanimator of the Opera.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

CalHab

The R'lyeh Horror Show