Main Menu

Meg 423 - Step into the City of the Future ...If You Dare

Started by broodblik, 19 August, 2020, 05:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good  serviceable meg.

Dredd – This is a continuation of the Red Price story arc and this episode serves as more of setup to the next chapter of the arc. The Red Price storyline is one of my favourite storylines in the Dredd-verse the last few years. What makes this great as well is to have the same creative team working on it. Jake Lynch art has grown on me and he is now one off my favourite Dredd artist.

Black Museum – Another good one-shot with good art provided by Anna Morozova (her first work was on a Future Shock recently)

Devlin – Another interesting Devlin story and this one feels also more like a setup for what is too come next.

Lawless – As always this is the highlight of the meg. This one is a double episode. The episode jumps between the different characters as they are scheming and conniving creating plots within plots. Bring on the next series!!!
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

What a great cover by Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

JimmyNailz

I really enjoyed the Meg this month.  Last month I enjoyed the one-shot nature of most the stories. This week is the same but instead these one-shots plant the seeds for tales to come.

Great to have a double-bill of Lawless.  Really liked the art on a fun Black Museum story. Devlin Waugh breaks down boundaries of taste ever further, with a beautiful looking but ewwww-inducing tale. Creme de la creme.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 21 August, 2020, 11:09:30 AM
Devlin Waugh breaks down boundaries of taste ever further, with a beautiful looking but ewwww-inducing tale. Creme de la creme.

You have to admire their spunk.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 August, 2020, 11:17:32 AM
Devlin Waugh breaks down boundaries of taste ever further, with a beautiful looking but ewwww-inducing tale. Creme de la creme.

At least we have a tale with an outcome

Richard

At least we have a tale with an outcome a climax.

FIFY

NapalmKev

Lovely cover but I think they missed a trick by not having Devlin instead, waggling his finger in a beckoning gesture with the Tagline...Come On!

Great Meg all round and next month we get the 100 page 30 years anniversary special featuring the Dark Judges, The returners and more.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Timothy

Certainly took some balls.

MumboJimbo

The meg and the prog are both in that "filling in the gaps before a jump-on issue" mode but there's been some good stuff in both. Future Shocks, 3rillers and Tales from the Black Museums are kind of like the cement in the bricked edifice of 2000 AD. I bet Matt Smith's hard drive has a folder full of such stories waiting to be deployed when needed - I'd love to have a rummage!

I love the way Dan Abnett has unapologetically transitional episodes in his many continuing sagas across both organs, where we deal with the ramifications with recent events and a bit of foreshadowing with what to come. We could really do with a bit of "taking stock" in other stories. I think if Kek-W did this every now and then his breakneck-paced plots would be more digestible. Obviously, I'm talking about Lawless here. The jewel in the 2000 AD universe (even though it's not, er, in 2000 AD). Lawless is flawless. And, unlike everything else, doesn't bugger off for two years between series.

Tales from the Black Museum was, for me, more notable for its art than story. The flowing nature of Morozova's lines seemed a perfect fit for the cult's robes and long hair. There's something about her style that seems more akin to US comic art than the usual 2000 AD house style, but that's not a negative for me.

Whenever there's a La Reine Rouge Dredd take I think to myself I must go back and read them and work out where we're up to, but never do. I guess they'll be collected in a GN at some point. This part of the ongoing tale didn't really make a huge impression on me as a standalone, and will probably be better when read with the other instalments.

I've loved recent Devlin Waugh but this felt a bit like the kind of story where the shocking/funny/revolting conclusion was thought up, and then a reason to get there was secondary. Generally though Ales Kot is doing an excellent takeover from John Smith.

And finally onto the floppy, Havn was a good ride. I actually enjoyed the very severe change in art style halfway from Lynch to Flint - chimed in well with the plot!

All in all a very decent Meg and looking forward to the biggie next month.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Timothy on 28 August, 2020, 06:47:50 PM

Certainly took some balls.

It would have been so easy to cock up....
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Glad I splashed out on this Meg. It was really good. Especially enjoyed the floppy HAVN which was from my time in the wilderlands I think.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 September, 2020, 03:12:48 PM
Glad I splashed out on this Meg. It was really good. Especially enjoyed the floppy HAVN which was from my time in the wilderlands I think.

You should build a splashguard, I can DM you instructions, however perspex if difficult to get these days, or you should wear boxing gloves while reading the Meg, nice you can still enjoy a floppy tho...
DDT did a job on me