Main Menu

Humble Bundle 2000ad

Started by user2000, 19 August, 2020, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

The most interesting bit about that is that (as Rebellion don't release sales figures) it says
Quote3,981 BUNDLES SOLD

Bolt-01

Nice numbers, but as I said before there is some top quality content in the package.

IndigoPrime

It'll be interesting to see the final numbers on this. The last Image one did about 15k, but that's a bigger name. IDW's have done something like 5–12k. Incal etc. did 13k. Although the real key is whether this then results in additional sales. Judging by the number of Image Humble Bundles, it's working for them, or they wouldn't keep doing it. IDW seems to often use HB as a way to wring out the last cash from dead licenses (Doctor Who; pre-reboot Transformers). Humanoids: no idea, but they did two in quick succession.

Mind you, the most important thing with this one will be to fix the files. Sad that the first proper 2000 AD HB has cruddy repro in some of the files.

It's also interesting to see people coming to some of these who don't know digital comics. The same happened with Humanoids and the recent Humble Bundle, to the point it seems HB should explain:

1. These bundles are separate from the subscription (a point obfuscated by the subscription banner at the top of the screen)
2. The comic won't be sent to you—you'll get a downloads link
3. These are digital comics (you'd be surprised how many assume they're getting a bunch of books for $1)
4. The books will require you to have software (a point included only at the bottom of the page, under a read more sign, in a disused lavatory, etc.)

Another gripe I've been seeing surrounds the selection of Psi-Files 2 rather than 1. Honestly, that is a bit of an odd one, given the Death crossover with Dredd CFs that are included. Still, for under 12 quid, it's hard to complain too much about a slew of Kingdom, all of Halo Jones and Zenith, and a ton of other great content. I hope it does well for Rebellion and its chosen charity.

IndigoPrime

Also: 'Best of Tharg's Future Shock'? Seriously?

Molch-R

Huh, the files we sent have been checked and are fine - is it JUST the cbz files that are at issue here? If so, could someone redownload and have a look at them again for me?

sintec

Zombo book 1 seems to be one of the worst looking (although it isn't the only volume affected). Just grabbed the cbz again on this PC and the aliasing on the text is very visible on this large monitor (using CDisplayex as a reader). It's apparent on the credits page as well as in the actual comic pages where the text is somewhat jagged, as are the speech ballons and the line art.  The pdf of the same book looks fine.

BPP

Ipad 12.9' - chunky - the B&W stuff in the 40 years collection is atrociously reproduced. Embarrassing - to the degree I'd not recommend it to non-tooth readers.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

Bad digital quality seems to plague Humble Bundles. They did some manga bundles from Kodansha that were absolutely atrocious in both resolution and file size. Fortunately while the CBZs were messed up, the ePub filed were fine and could de salvaged with some unzipping and rezipping. Sadly, no such luck with the problem 2000 AD offerings.

I've never seen this problem with Image or IDW bundles. Though there was a Dynamite one with some issues. I honestly have no idea who's responsible for these quality control issues. And why they sometimes don't seem to care.  Especially when we digital readers KNOW these files look fine elsewhere.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Molch-R

AFAWK the files we supplied are fine, we're looking into these issues and are in discussion with HB about possible causes.

If you can see particularly egregious examples, please post them on this thread and I'll pass them along.

Robes

Some of the lettering in the Brink CBZ is nearly unreadable, very aliased. That's on a 12.9 iPad.

Molch-R

Quote from: Robes on 21 August, 2020, 05:34:15 PM
Some of the lettering in the Brink CBZ is nearly unreadable, very aliased. That's on a 12.9 iPad.

Could you possibly post examples, Robes? Or email them to press@2000AD.com - thanks!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Molch-R on 21 August, 2020, 05:55:40 PM

Could you possibly post examples, Robes? Or email them to press@2000AD.com - thanks!

Okay, so here is a side by side comparison of the first page of Brink.
The first image is the Humble Bundle CBZ file.
The second image is the Humble Bundle PDF File.
And the 3rd image is the CBZ of Prog 1978 from the 2000 AD eShop I bought 3 years ago.

I don't have the eShop version of the Brink collection, but I can not imagine its significantly different from the Prog version.

This image is full resolution, uncompressed. Hosted off site on ImageShack because its a PNG file 15 megabyte size. Linked so it doesn't stretch the Forum boundaries to hell. I hope this helps illustrate the problem.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1447/C3FKHs.png

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Robes

I tried to send a couple of examples over but I did get a mail undeliverable back. One might have got through.

user2000

Quote from: The Adventurer on 21 August, 2020, 06:47:39 PM

Okay, so here is a side by side comparison of the first page of Brink.
The first image is the Humble Bundle CBZ file.
The second image is the Humble Bundle PDF File.
And the 3rd image is the CBZ of Prog 1978 from the 2000 AD eShop I bought 3 years ago.

I don't have the eShop version of the Brink collection, but I can not imagine its significantly different from the Prog version.

This image is full resolution, uncompressed. Hosted off site on ImageShack because its a PNG file 15 megabyte size. Linked so it doesn't stretch the Forum boundaries to hell. I hope this helps illustrate the problem.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1447/C3FKHs.png

This is exactly what I'm talking about in my OP.

Some of the filesizes are crazy.  There are definitely some PDF's that are worse than the CBZ files.  I already mentioned Zenith - washed out on the PDF and jaggies on the much larger CBZ.

If it helps here is a list from the download page of the file sizes - a quick copy and paste, it aint pretty but I've tried to tidy it up a bit:

Aquila
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
44.3 MB md5
PDF
89.6 MB md5

Zenith Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
104.2 MB md5
PDF
17.8 MB md5

Judge Dredd Case Files 02
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
324.6 MB md5
PDF
35.3 MB md5

Judge Dredd Case Files 01
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
307.3 MB md5
PDF
33.7 MB md5

Zenith Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
82.2 MB md5
PDF
22.7 MB md5

Zenith Book 4
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
45.1 MB md5
PDF
116.1 MB md5

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 5
IDW Publishing
CBZ
332.8 MB md5
EPUB
423.6 MB md5
PDF
45.4 MB md5

Judge Dredd Case Files 04
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
324.2 MB md5
PDF
50.3 MB md5

Zombo Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
27.9 MB md5
PDF
96.9 MB md5

Brink Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
27.3 MB md5
PDF
54.5 MB md5

Brink Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
25 MB md5
PDF
47.2 MB md5

Brink Book 3
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
29.8 MB md5
PDF
56.6 MB md5

Sláine: Warrior's Dawn
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
234.5 MB md5
PDF
27.2 MB md5

Bec & Kawl
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
35.1 MB md5
PDF
63.6 MB md5

Age of the Wolf
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
31.6 MB md5
PDF
78.7 MB md5

Defoe 1666
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
63.1 MB md5
PDF
69.7 MB md5

Judge Anderson: Psi Files 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
84.6 MB md5
PDF
138.2 MB md5

Absalom Book 3
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
30.2 MB md5
PDF
35.7 MB md5

Absalom Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
27.9 MB md5
PDF
49.4 MB md5

Absalom Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
21.5 MB md5
PDF
37.7 MB md5

Judge Dredd Case Files 03
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
216.7 MB md5
PDF
23 MB md5

Zenith Book 3
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
102.5 MB md5
PDF
13.3 MB md5

Kingdom Book 4
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
46.1 MB md5
PDF
74 MB md5

Kingdom Book 3
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
49 MB md5
PDF
87.8 MB md5

Kingdom Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
40.4 MB md5
PDF
57.6 MB md5

Kingdom Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
41.3 MB md5
PDF
28.2 MB md5

2000 AD's Greatest: Celebrating 40 Years
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
51.5 MB md5
PDF
45.1 MB md5

Brass Sun
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
47.3 MB md5
PDF
131.8 MB md5

Mazeworld
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
52.1 MB md5
PDF
101.7 MB md5

Halo Jones Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
23.3 MB md5
PDF
44.5 MB md5

Halo Jones Book 3
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
33.7 MB md5
PDF
59.7 MB md5

Halo Jones Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
23 MB md5
PDF
40.5 MB md5

Scarlet Traces Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
49.2 MB md5
PDF
88.2 MB md5

Best of Tharg's Future Shock
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
155.8 MB md5
PDF
19.1 MB md5

Shakara Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
41.7 MB md5
PDF
76.2 MB md5

Counterfeit Girl
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
31 MB md5
PDF
54.9 MB md5

Sláine: Book of Invasions 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
40.3 MB md5
PDF
63.3 MB md5

Zombo Book 2
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
37 MB md5
PDF
97.1 MB md5

Hope Book 1
Rebellion Interactive
CBZ
66.2 MB md5
PDF
45.4 MB md5

IndigoPrime

Humble responded to my support request. Any thoughts I can pass on?

QuoteWe appreciate you including that screenshot for reference. While I am able to confirm based on the information you have provided so far that the CBZ files are affected, would you be able to provide additional details including which titles you have noticed in this bundle that are of lower quality, and if the low quality is present throughout the entire file or just in isolated locations within the comic?