Main Menu

Keanu's Kickstarter comic

Started by CalHab, 02 September, 2020, 10:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Here's an oddity, an established publisher, well known comic creators and a major Hollywood star going to Kickstarter to fund a comic:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boom-studios/brzrkr-by-keanu-reeves-matt-kindt-and-ron-garney

Advance sales are great for cashflow, so I get that, but it just illustrates how Kickstarter is being used as a retail platform rather than a funding one. This has been happening in board games for years as well.

I have no idea of the quality of the comic.

IndigoPrime

I'm not too fussed about Kickstarter being used as a pre-order platform if there's some kind of guarantee behind it. There's a ton of risk in publishing, media and tech right now, and it makes sense. What's irksome is when celebs start to take over indie spaces. KR is known for being a good bloke, but he's also insanely wealthy. He doesn't need this.

CalHab

I'm ambivalent about it, but I agree that indie spaces need to be maintained.

I'm not consistent about this though. I backed Madi, which I believe Duncan Jones had already funded. He could presumably have partnered with a publisher (Image?), given the interest in it and the fact it was already paid for, but decided to use Kickstarter instead. I'm not sure if he or Alex de Campi ever gave the reason for that.

Echidna

I was just reading about this on Bleeding Cool. According to Boom the idea is to use an established platform (KS) and a big celebrity to get comics into the hands of folks who don't usually read them, and get said folks into comic shops. Will be interesting to see if it works.

karlos

KS and Indiegogo can be a bit dodgy, to say the least.

This sounds a bit off but can't quite work out why.

As long as punters are made aware they can pick up floppies months earlier than the trades, and for normal prices, then fair enough...i guess.

Link Prime

Hadn't heard of this until now, but have to admit the creative team and concept look pretty decent-ish.

The Kickstarter option is a no go for me simply due to the shipping fees to ROI, but I think its worth a punt buying the first issue for a fiver from my LCS.

Looks like Boom have their first bona fide hit on their hands.