Main Menu

2000AD Forum Sketch Comp #4: SPECIAL BOLT-01 EDITION

Started by Jim_Campbell, 08 May, 2021, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

This thread has been truly amazing with everyone's contributions but I must say for me  Matts "sketch" is the cherry on top of a fitting tribute thread. Well done to everyone
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Dark Jimbo

Thanks all. I hadn't really intended it to be anything other than a tribute to Bolt, but then it got me wondering whatever did happen to the Emperor, and realising that we'd also lost Carlos since I last drew Sun and Moon... it became something really cathartic to do, a very personal laying to rest of that time in my life. Hope nobody minds.

(It also reminded me why I stopped doing even hobby comics - God, they're hard!)

And yeah, if Matt's stunning piece is the final contribution, that's more than a fitting end to some great tributes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Woolly

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 May, 2021, 08:24:03 PM
And yeah, if Matt's stunning piece is the final contribution, that's more than a fitting end to some great tributes.

I was thinking that when these works are collated together, yours would make for a very fitting end-piece.

LARF

I met Dave in 2007 at my first ever con in Bristol, before that we'd been chatting away on the 2000AD Forum for years. I was LARF he was Bolt-1. I'd been through a rough few months in my life and I had to push myself to go, I was very nervous and worried about being a wallflower through the entire weekend. Dave invited me to come out with him and some others for a beer and food, and every con thereafter that's how it was. Two like-minded middle aged men, obsessed with a comic from their childhood that had shaped their lives since the late 1970's, staying awake till the wee hours drinking over priced beer in hotel bars and getting excited about art, stories, fantastic flights of sci-fi & fantasy, and all else that fell into the cracks in our lives between cons. A wonderfully kind, generous, caring and considerate Squaxx Dek Thargo that I will greatly miss. Rest in peace mate. Splundig vur Thrigg.

LARF

Jim_Campbell

Jeez, but this has all been wonderful. I'm not closing the thread just yet — I've still got a few bits to come in via email so I can't start planning the book until I know how many pages we're going to run to. If you think you still have something to contribute, I won't be closing until next weekend at the earliest.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

David Broughton

Here are Some panels from my last Judge Dredd story for the 2000AD fanzine 'Zarjaz' written by Matt Sharp, drawn by myself and commissioned by Editor Dave Evan's R.I.P. 

I miss you Dave.

CrazyFoxMachine

This was sent to the FQP FB page by one Jonathan Macho - who, with his brother, has done an adorable *response* to one of Dave's wonderfully unexpected "you've bought some our comics so I'm going to draw you summat" sketches. I'm sure we're all familiar with the thrill of opening your order from FutureQuake and seeing a Dredd, a Tharg, a Kid Knee or in this case...

Richmond Clements

I just want to say thank you to Jim for setting this up and all you guys for contributing. You've made me cry a lot, but in a good way, because I can see how much you all loved Dave.

Mike Carroll

I echo Rich's comment! Dave meant so much to so many of us... For the past few weeks I've been trying to write something about him for my blog but it's defeating me. Seeing the posts here, though, has been very uplifting!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 30 May, 2021, 11:37:55 AM
Seeing the posts here, though, has been very uplifting!

No, you've got something in your eye!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

flip-r mk2

I drew and then gave this to Dave at Thought Bubble 2018 as a thank you for letting me appear in Dogbreath.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Mini_Bolt

Hello all!

I've not posted on this board for a verrrry long time, but I couldn't help but lurk this thread.
Good god damn there's some truly zarjazz tributes to my old man here. I've been, understandably, not really with it recently. It's been a massive shock to the family and ofcourse his extended family which is you lovely lot. I've had the pleasure with of meeting a lot of you and seeing my dad around you, now I recognise the privilege of those moments. He really lit up around his people and I'm so grateful to you all for letting him shine that way.
My dad wouldn't let me read the prog till I was fifteen, and only after he'd read it too! He introduced me into tooth and I'll forever be grateful because those comics informed the art style that I have now.
I've had a go at a whistler myself and I've gotta say I know now why my dad would often curse the fact he invented a character with a feather Mohican.  That being said I couldn't not do something for this comp.  my version is based on the card I made for his 51st birthday where I pitched him the idea of a future whistler whos adventures had to led to him getting cybernetic aids to keep him bounty hunting.
I wanna pass on that from my mom, sister and brother we all want to Thankyou for being there for my Dad.
I'm sure we'll all see him at the bar in the great con in the sky one day.
All my heartsies
Mini_Bolt // Danny

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]