Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

At least Roscommon have a dope smoking long hair to represent them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Int0CGNvo3E

JOE SOAP

I think Ming should move-in to the Aras with Norris -when he gets the presidency- and call it the Ministry of Fun- Welcome to the Pleasuredome.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 February, 2011, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 February, 2011, 11:30:02 AM
I suspect like after the crash of 1929 and the follow on of 1933 we're on a slow dive to another World War. Thank you world banking system, cheers. :(

Blimey, I thought I was a pessimist!

I've had the same suspicion myself for a number of years, when power wanes at the top and the support base begins to dissolve, war is what is chosen by the monied class and the gears are oiled, but with resources dwindling on the energy front I wonder if that option is open to them anymore? We really are in uncharted territory.

My own ham-fisted prediction is that the US will go the way of the Soviet Union, it's demographics point that way, except worse, the Russian underclass at least had a residual notion of community, farming and group survival, the Yanks have paranoia and guns, and lots of both, a military contraction will precede a hard transition to break-up.

Germany and Russia, likely France too, will become closer due to trade and gas/oil resources; China may be part of that but I have a feeling they may go the way of the US while struggling to keep it's population in-check due to it's own ecological problems and need for oil which is not as easily accessible to them as the last oil fields are located in Siberia so a possible conflict or alliance lies there.

The interesting thing about Germany is if the Euro does break-up, it will be the first time in 50 years that they will be reunified and hold their own single currency again, something that has so far, been illegal.

Ireland and the UK will be mutually dependent, as they always have been, with maybe some of the PIIGS too. Scandinavia will remain just that.

The Middle East, as always, is a wild-card, but I wouldn't condemn them to intenicine warfare, they may prove the West's condescending democratically-enlightened-market-flat-earth-politics for the bullshit it is and either retreat to consolidate or become more integrative. Nevertheless, Israel will become very scared without US support.

Certainly the US rhetoric/propaganda that their military influence in the area would create a domino effect of toppling dictatorships/regimes making the way for 'US style democracy' has proven to be exactly the reverse in recent weeks! It has now been shown that the waning of US military power/influence in the region has brought about the domino effect for whatever is to come.

Caveat: Of course this could all change when that magic free-energy technology the Yanks have hidden all this time is released!

...and, I'm optimistic.

JOE SOAP

The Kingdom is theirs, and even their horses are fat. I hear the Conan theme music playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg

mogzilla

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 February, 2011, 02:01:57 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 27 February, 2011, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 February, 2011, 11:30:02 AM
I suspect like after the crash of 1929 and the follow on of 1933 we're on a slow dive to another World War. Thank you world banking system, cheers. :(

Blimey, I thought I was a pessimist!

I've had the same suspicion myself for a number of years, when power wanes at the top and the support base begins to dissolve, war is what is chosen by the monied class and the gears are oiled, but with resources dwindling on the energy front I wonder if that option is open to them anymore? We really are in uncharted territory.

My own ham-fisted prediction is that the US will go the way of the Soviet Union, it's demographics point that way, except worse, the Russian underclass at least had a residual notion of community, farming and group survival, the Yanks have paranoia and guns, and lots of both, a military contraction will precede a hard transition to break-up.

Germany and Russia, likely France too, will become closer due to trade and gas/oil resources; China may be part of that but I have a feeling they may go the way of the US while struggling to keep it's population in-check due to it's own ecological problems and need for oil which is not as easily accessible to them as the last oil fields are located in Siberia so a possible conflict or alliance lies there.

The interesting thing about Germany is if the Euro does break-up, it will be the first time in 50 years that they will be reunified and hold their own single currency again, something that has so far, been illegal.

Ireland and the UK will be mutually dependent, as they always have been, with maybe some of the PIIGS too. Scandinavia will remain just that.

The Middle East, as always, is a wild-card, but I wouldn't condemn them to intenicine warfare, they may prove the West's condescending democratically-enlightened-market-flat-earth-politics for the bullshit it is and either retreat to consolidate or become more integrative. Nevertheless, Israel will become very scared without US support.

Certainly the US rhetoric/propaganda that their military influence in the area would create a domino effect of toppling dictatorships/regimes making the way for 'US style democracy' has proven to be exactly the reverse in recent weeks! It has now been shown that the waning of US military power/influence in the region has brought about the domino effect for whatever is to come.

Caveat: Of course this could all change when that magic free-energy technology the Yanks have hidden all this time is released!

...and, I'm optimistic.

cheerful lot.

can we at least have a civil war first to overthrow the government and topple the royals

JOE SOAP

It's on the list. The Levellers release 7 new albums in a-single-day before hand. David Bowie will be the last Duke.

johnnystress

http://www.breakingnews.ie/election/news/new-td-flanagan-demands-pay-cut-for-himself-495211.html
New TD Flanagan demands pay cut for himself

26/02/2011 - 23:46:42
Roscommon/North Leitrim's new TD, Independent candidate Luke 'Ming' Flanagan, has made an unusual demand for a politician - he wants his pay halved.

"The first thing I intend to do in the Dáil is to take a 50% pay cut," he said. "Because I think out TDs are paid way too much, especially now at a time when everyone is suffering from various charges, universal social charges, etc."

TordelBack

Quote from: johnnystress on 27 February, 2011, 08:28:39 PM
"The first thing I intend to do in the Dáil is to take a 50% pay cut," he said. "Because I think out TDs are paid way too much, especially now at a time when everyone is suffering from various charges, universal social charges, etc."

Grud bless'im -  I think personally something like this would be a hugely positive step if universally adopted (fat chance).  Mind, 50K will still buy a lot of weed.  And 100 sitting days a year gives plenty of time to enjoy it.

johnnystress

he should be allowed a ministers munchies allowance. we're not cmommies after all

JOE SOAP

Joe Higgins has been accepting no more than the average industrial wage since elected.

TordelBack

Ditto the Shinners.  Although they appear to take the full whack (90K+) and give the balance to the party, so why the taxpayer should care is beyond me. 

vzzbux

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 February, 2011, 11:08:53 PM
What a result.  Gerry Adams as possible leader of the opposition.  A man so utterly dishonest he won't even admit to the terrorist past he's supposed to have put behind him.  A man who now feels that being identified as a former member of the IRA amounts to actual defamation of his character, although he would never condemn that same organisation when it mattered.  Who doesn't even live in this State, or pay taxes here (until now, presumably).  Who owns three houses but only earns the average industrial wage.  Hero of the ordinary people, hammer of the corrupt!  Jeebus wept.
This beggars belief. For Mr Adams to Deny what transpired in his past leaves me agog.
I wish I could share with you some of my knowledge but am duty bound to keep stum even after all these years.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Probably to pay for balaclavas and black t-shirts. They're still the only party who would tell the IMF and the EU to fuck-off in fairness, the rest are too quick to call them nuts for the only logical, inevitable path.

COMMANDO FORCES

Well done Ireland, now your troubles are all over  :D