Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2014, 07:38:33 PM
the clearly, provably disproportionate coverage of UKIP

If CFM's graph is accurate, UKIP have appeared around three times as often as the Green party, which is in line with the numbers of votes they attracted at the last general election:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 07:43:24 PM
No, but you're being deliberately abusive.

Then why are you misrepresenting what's being said? If you're not stupid — and I know you're not — then the only other conclusion is that you're deliberately misrepresenting a fairly straightforward, easy-to-understand position, for purposes that would look a lot like trolling...

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dudley

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2014, 07:38:33 PM
No one is saying that UKIP should be "silenced"

Though wouldn't it be lovely?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dudley on 13 October, 2014, 08:34:00 PM
Though wouldn't it be lovely?

Honestly? No. I want to see the left come out and tackle the shite UKIP are spouting. These arguments are pretty easy to demolish, but the mainstream parties are so driven by focus-group polling that they pander to the public's ignorance, rather than just try to make a better argument.

Jim

The Legendary Shark

No.
No it really wouldn't be lovely at all.
It would be terrifying.
(Several unnecessarily super-verbose paragraphs deleted here.) What Jim said.
Mostly.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2014, 07:57:57 PM
Then why are you misrepresenting what's being said? If you're not stupid — and I know you're not — then the only other conclusion is that you're deliberately misrepresenting a fairly straightforward, easy-to-understand position, for purposes that would look a lot like trolling...

Jim

It's not trolling to disagree with you, Jim. I don't think the BBC are biased in favour of UKIP, and I don't think editorial interference in BBC news reporting is a good idea.

Surely, though, we can find some common ground. I do think UKIP are a shower of bastards, if that's any help?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 08:41:04 PM
It's not trolling to disagree with you, Jim.

You weren't disagreeing with me, you were grossly mischaracterising my position by suggesting that I was advocating "silencing" UKIP when I was suggesting nothing of the sort and had said nothing that would give you cause to claim that I had.

QuoteI don't think the BBC are biased in favour of UKIP, and I don't think editorial interference in BBC news reporting is a good idea.

Wow. I don't know where to start with that. I'm just going to leave it — I have neither the time nor the inclination.

Jim

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Okay, thanks I actually wanted to keep that olive branch anyway, so I'm glad you didn't accept it.

Mmm, lovely olive branch.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 13 October, 2014, 08:57:27 PM
Okay, thanks I actually wanted to keep that olive branch anyway, so I'm glad you didn't accept it.

You want to either explain what I said that gave you cause to accuse me of being pro-censorship, or apologise for misrepresenting my position, that's an olive branch. Leaving the assertion that I want to "silence" UKIP standing without any justification is a cheap shot.

Jim

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 October, 2014, 09:02:20 PM
You want to either explain what I said that gave you cause to accuse me of being pro-censorship, or apologise for misrepresenting my position, that's an olive branch. Leaving the assertion that I want to "silence" UKIP standing without any justification is a cheap shot.

Jim

Oddly, I want to do neither.

Jim_Campbell

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

CrazyFoxMachine

The Legendary Shark

I was just having a shave and grumbling, again, about the disappointingly few uses to be obtained from the modern disposable razor, when I was again reminded of how this horrid little instrument embodies everything that's wrong with us as a species today.
Consider, in this day and age of scientific wonders, quantum mechanics and metamaterials, that surely there is some substance capable of being forged into a blade that doesn't go blunt at the first whiff of a human frikkin' hair? But we don't want that, do we? We don't want to buy a razor that's going to last practically forever, that might be handed down from father to son or mother to daughter, do we? Oh no, we want to continue buying these pathetic objects and throwing them away. All that plastic and metal and transport and energy and money and effort - all for two good shaves and a couple of rotten ones.
The Disposable Razor is surely the work of the Devil.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]