Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 01:52:44 PMI seem to remember that [spoiler]stormtroopers are all clones of the Fetts too? [/spoiler]

Only really during the Clone Wars. They had accelerated growth to mass produce soldiers so many would be in old-age by the time of the OT, by which time the established empire just employed norms. [spoiler]Boba didn't have accelerated growth – he was given the chance to grow-up normally as Jango's son.[/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 December, 2020, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 01:52:44 PMI seem to remember that [spoiler]stormtroopers are all clones of the Fetts too? [/spoiler]

Only really during the Clone Wars. They had accelerated growth to mass produce soldiers so many would be in old-age by the time of the OT, by which time the established empire just employed norms. [spoiler]Boba didn't have accelerated growth – he was given the chance to grow-up normally as Jango's son.[/spoiler]

Aye - Rex and his crew pop up in Rebels, and they're all old blokes by then.

TordelBack

Rebels establishes that the Empire is recruiting and training  teenagers as stormtroopers in the years leading up to A New Hope, and Solo at least suggests this could be the case 10 years prior with its non-stormtrooper pilot and 'infantry' divisions.

However, one of the interesting tidbits in The Clone Wars is the Season 2 episode where Padme tries and fails to stop a bill to order a new batch of clones from the Kaminoans. Later,  we see an attempt by Ventress to steal the original samples of Jango's DNA from Kamino, which appear to still be of great importance to the operation. This is all in the second year of the war, so at let's say 9 years to maturity, these new specimens would only be coming out of the factory when Luke is 6 or 7, almost exactly when the opening scenes of Solo are set, and would only be an effective age of late 30s-early 40s at the time of the OT.  So it's reasonable to assume that at least some of the stormtroopers we see in Solo, Rebels and the OT are a younger generation of Kaminoan clones. Whether they are all still clones of Jango is another matter.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 December, 2020, 02:33:51 PM
Aye - Rex and his crew pop up in Rebels, and they're all old blokes by then.

I was unfeasibly happy to see Rex and his 'brothers' turn up in Rebels after some very unhappy turns of events in the final episodes of Clone Wars.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

I have to say, it's great to have you lot to fill me in on continuity. I'm a bit clueless.

Also couldn't help notice what an absolute [spoiler]bloodbath[/spoiler] that episode was. Has to be the most [spoiler]violent thing Disney has ever released, though I'm bracing myself for that theory's imminent destruction. [/spoiler]

I really need to watch Solo and Rogue One, don't I?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 04:50:54 PM
I really need to watch Solo and Rogue One, don't I?

Can't hurt.  They're both decent films with good characters, the only real variable is to what extent you feel they are 'Star Wars-y' (despite the endless superficial cameos and "I remember that" references) since both have decidedly different takes on what that is. But then I think Mando has successfully stretched that definition in the directions of both films. I personally rate Solo as one of my favourites, despite having zero interest in the premise going in, but others hate it.

I don't think either are really necessary in the context of enjoying Mando asa show.  If it's a "I feel I should know who that is" problem then the two main cartoons are a better bet, but a much bigger investment - The Clone Wars & Rebels combined total over 100 hours runtime.  And even then, the origins of some of the current goings-on are more from ancient video games (KotOR, the TOR MMO and Dark Forces).

Mardroid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 December, 2020, 12:38:30 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 11:55:29 AM
I'm sorry if I've missed something, but isn't [spoiler]Boba Fett dead[/spoiler]? 

[spoiler]Boba being alive[/spoiler] has been part of Star Wars lore for decades. If you don't see a body in Star Wars, death is never certain.

[spoiler]Going only by the evidence of what's presented in the OT, of all the characters to return Boba's is the most plausible: he wasn't struck a fatal blow; he has armour and a jet-pack, and Jabba's sail barge blew-up rather spectacularly over the mouth of the Sarlacc – all that fiery debris probably damaged it severely, or killed it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's certainly more plausible than surviving bisection, like a certain other character, although I am glad that they did more with the character in Clone Wars and Rebels. [/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

Feck, not sure if I can handle 100 hours of the cartoon. Then again, January is going to be quiet...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 04:50:54 PM
Has to be the most violent thing Disney has ever released, though I'm bracing myself for that theory's imminent destruction.

Well ... since Disney owned the production companies Miramax and Hollywood Pictures, they did release Pulp Fiction and Judge Dredd – a film that's still owned by the Mouse.

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 December, 2020, 07:12:12 PM
Feck, not sure if I can handle 100 hours of the cartoon. Then again, January is going to be quiet...

Definitely not necessary (although I'm 3 seasons into TCW as part of a complete SW family re-watch, and I'm constantly surprised by how good much of it is)  - I think you can just enjoy Mandalorian from Din's PoV, and he's a total outsider to all this stuff, including not knowing what the Jedi are, or even the nature of other Mandalorians. It's one of the reasons the show has broad appeal,  IMHO: Mando himself has never seen Star Wars.

sheridan

Don't look on it as a slog (if you choose to start).  100 hours of the 21st century spin-off animations is less of a slog than the seven hours of the prequels...

Trooper McFad

Quote from: sheridan on 07 December, 2020, 09:39:30 AM

Don't look on it as a slog (if you choose to start).  100 hours of the 21st century spin-off animations is less of a slog than the seven hours of the prequels...

I agree it's not a slog as you can slot in an episode in 30 spare minutes not having to make 2 hours for one of the films.

I'm halfway through Rebels and really enjoying it. I did enjoy TCW but felt the last 3 seasons really held my interest.

Just watched episode 14 of The Mandalorin and I can't believe they are keeping up the quality. Usually these things have a mid season dip with a couple of fillers that don't add anything but not this.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 07 December, 2020, 09:39:30 AM

I enjoyed Clone Wars and Rebels more than any of the prequels or sequels. As others have noted, the sheer volume of it can seem daunting, but these things clock in at under 30min an episode, so you can squeeze an episode in before/after/inbetween other stuff. The episodes being short makes the (very) occasional clunker a lot more tolerable, too.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

judgeurko

I tried but I couldn't get into it. Then again I'm not really into cartoons.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: judgeurko on 07 December, 2020, 05:40:36 PM
I tried but I couldn't get into it. Then again I'm not really into cartoons.

Do you know what, I might give it a shot. Any other Christmas period and I'd be propping up the bar, but, well, you know.